Pauline Black OBE

RichT

Jan 1, 2022, 6:36:18 AM1/1/22
to 2-tone forum
Big respect and congratulations to a leading light. Much deserved.

jason

Jan 1, 2022, 7:58:27 AM1/1/22
to 2-tone forum
To be honest I would had more respect for her if she had turned it down.  I am all for people getting civic awards for they have achieved, but an accolade from the British Empire is outdated to say the least.

Jon Russell

Jan 2, 2022, 11:08:01 AM1/2/22
to 2-tone forum
With you there Jason. I think Howard Gayle summed it up best:

Howard Gayle

Liverpool's first black footballer turned down an MBE in 2016.

He was nominated for his work with Show Racism A Red Card, but turned it down because "my ancestors would be turning in their graves after how empire and colonialism had enslaved them".

Tim Wesley

Jan 2, 2022, 11:21:18 AM1/2/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Black is super smart intelligent
I remember she fronted later episodes of  the Black on Black telly prog back in the 80's
so, She will have Her reasons for accepting it.

Jan 2, 2022, 11:58:55 AM1/2/22
to 2-tone forum
I think Ken Loach summed it up perfectly:

 "It's all the things I think are despicable: patronage, deferring to the monarchy and the name of the British Empire, which is a monument of exploitation and conquest.

"I turned down the OBE because it's not a club you want to join when you look at the villains who've got it."

jason

Jan 2, 2022, 12:04:59 PM1/2/22
to 2-tone forum
Wasn't there once an album released titled 'Cruel Britannia'...............

Peter Walsh

Jan 3, 2022, 7:28:11 AM1/3/22
to 2 Tone Records
Officer (of the Order) of the British Empire.
Could it be that all those lyrics and posturing were just something cool and right-on to sing about...?

mov: 687954312

jason

Jan 6, 2022, 5:15:27 AM1/6/22
to 2-tone forum