Storing vinyl records in PVC sleeves -Warning.

jason

Jun 20, 2022, 2:00:16 PM6/20/22
to 2-tone forum
Has anyone ever heard of this?  Apparently storing your vinyl in protective PVC sleeves can over time cause permanent damage to both the cover and vinyl.  Polythene is the material that should be used.  As well as the video below there are numerous threads on the likes of Discogs on this very subject.  All say the same thing: PVC and variations end temperature will eventually cause damage.

I enjoy this guy's channel.  You only think you are a vinyl junkie until you watch him..

 He goes into the details of how this problem arises.

Paul Rodgers

Jun 20, 2022, 3:09:32 PM6/20/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

I got rid of all of my standard heavy plastic record covers after several of them started to 'sweat'.

Almost all of my collection is now housed in replacement paper inners (for 7", 10" and 12") and those inners are generally not in the original record sleeves to try to preserve them and avoid ring wear. Where I am storing the 7"s in their original sleeves I have cut down the paper inners on the open edge to make them fit. I believe it is the best chance of preserving the records and their sleeves, bearing in mind that a lot of them were far from new when I purchased them.

Pledge

jason

Jun 20, 2022, 3:45:11 PM6/20/22
to 2-tone forum
Pledge,

Like you I don't store my vinyl in the sleeves to cut down on ring ware.

I have about half my LP in PVC and the other half in heavy polythene and I can't say I have noticed any damage with the PVC.  Some have been in PVC sleeves for  over 40 years and since I don't play them , they have never been removed and  display no signs of sweat or the vinyl damage highlighted in the video.  I have always stored my collection the furthest it can be from a radiator or direct sunlight, which I think helps.

It would be a real pisser if someday you discovered a badly damaged sleeve caused condensation.

Paul Rodgers

Jun 20, 2022, 5:04:55 PM6/20/22
to 2-tone...@googlegroups.com
I think part of my problem was buying all new PVC outers a few years back and also having a set up whereby a large amount of my record collection was stored on my TV unit, crucially above the telly, so the heat was probably greater there than anywhere else on the same unit (some beside and some below the TV).

I use the paper inners because many of these modern vinyls come in heavyweight vinyl, but do not have sufficiently strong inners (the printed/lyric ones) to hold the weight of the vinyl when in the post. I have lost count of the number of brand new records that have already gone through the inners before I have received them.

My current policy is to only really use polythene for non standard sleeves, such as things with an obi or gatefold sleeves. Basically any sleeves that can snag on other sleeves when getting them out of putting them away. The big drawback with polythene outers are that they are slippery so if I get a few records out at the same time the middle ones might slip from the parcel I've picked up.

Thoser Japanese single sheet 7" 'sleeves' or German promo info sheets fit very nicely into 7" polythene sleeves, but most 7" singles and their sleeves don't.

I'm simply trying to keep what I have in the best possible condition regardless of its condition when I received it. It isn't always easy.

Pledge