2m Beacon on the air from Fort Collins, Colorado

n6gn

Jan 21, 2024, 10:26:07 PMJan 21
to 2 Meter WSPR
It's been quite a while since I've been transmitting on VHF/UHF WSPR but I have once again put a 2m Beacon running WSPR, JT65A and CW from Fort Collins, CO. ERP is on the order of 30 watts pointed South, down the Front Range.

So far not many spotters though a nice signal report from WE7L in Parker about 85 miles SSE.  Perhaps as more people become aware of it there may be more spotters and perhaps someone else may be encouraged to put a beacon on too.

From this location there is a  very long stretch of downslope, roughly 1000 miles to the East and the region does get tropospheric ducting and of course a lot of aircraft traffic for ACS.

I have designed and fabricated a few all-band GNSS/Ext10 MHz disciplined transverters so all VHF bands and UHF through 1296 MHz could be supported and I could perhaps help someone who is interested with hardware too.

Glenn n6gn
Fort Collins, CO

Thomas Yarish

Jan 21, 2024, 10:29:21 PMJan 21
to n6gn, 2 Meter WSPR
Let me know when you are spotted in Bay Area and I'll look in your direction.

Tom
KJ6MKI

Sent from my iPhone

William Way

Jan 21, 2024, 10:49:56 PMJan 21
to Thomas Yarish, n6gn, 2 Meter WSPR
My 2 m rig is not connected to a computer and I haven’t quite figured out the wiring needed to do that. My HF rig came equipped with a very nice USB jack which made it a no-brainer. That’s not the case with the VHF rig.

That said, I now have a small 2 m and 70 cm beam, which I will point at you and look for your signal even though I can’t decode it. It sounds to me like you are transmitting a high percentage of the time?  I need to go look up the whisper frequency on 2 m.

I won’t be able to upload anything to the Internet, but I’ll email you back and let you know if I see you.

On Jan 21, 2024, at 8:29 PM, Thomas Yarish <yari...@gmail.com> wrote:

Let me know when you are spotted in Bay Area and I'll look in your direction.

William Way

Jan 21, 2024, 11:05:09 PMJan 21
to William Way, Thomas Yarish, n6gn, 2 Meter WSPR
Listening FM on 144.500 and vicinity.  Beam north from Golden.  I don’t detect any signals.

Can you transmit or receive FM on 145.980?

Or 437.820?

Thomas Yarish

Jan 21, 2024, 11:05:38 PMJan 21
to William Way, n6gn, 2 Meter WSPR
Your comments better addressed to Glenn, N6GN in Colorado.

I'm near San Francisco.

Setting up your rig for WSPR ops shouldn't be difficult. Need specific info on each of your components.

Download WSJTX 2.6.1 and install that first.

You will also need to stabilize you transceiver internal oscillator with an external GPS disciplined oscillator like the one famously known as the Bodnar.  Otherwise your rig likely will drift too much to be useful. Expensive maybe, but it gives you access to a new world.

Likely your transceiver will need minor modifications to use the external reference.

What is your call?

Tom

Sent from my iPhone

William Way

Jan 21, 2024, 11:31:13 PMJan 21
to Thomas Yarish, n6gn, 2 Meter WSPR
I'm on wspr 10 - 80m and have thousands of contacts despite limited wire antennae.  Usually 20W.

Bill Way
Golden, Colorado, USA
   Mobile: 224-475-9979
   Email: BillWa...@gmail.com