Transverter

Steven Hess

Jul 9, 2021, 11:00:00 AM7/9/21
to 2 Meter WSPR
I'm running at 500 milliwatts & I 2 spots of my station.
Drift must be OK at this power level.
I'm seeing 93 aircraft right now. So these ar likely ACS.
Steven

--
____________
Apply appropriate technology. Use what works without prejudice.

Steven Hess

Jul 9, 2021, 11:10:09 AM7/9/21
to 2 Meter WSPR
IMG_5772.HEIC

Mr B r a d

Jul 12, 2021, 3:34:52 PM7/12/21
to 2 Meter WSPR, Larry Peterson
I have added a raspberry PI computer running with the backyard solar-powered setup.
this is listening for 1090mhz pings from aircraft within my line of sight.
the server is public and we can look at aircraft near me that might
offer themselves as reflectors for our ham signals.
just load this link and drag the map back to the modesto CA
area to see what's in the air around here....
very regular flights going over me to the west into the SF area...

I would love to try ms144 or something robust enough to bound off of the air traffic over the hills into the SF area or
something like this. maybe even on 10m as i have seen this before with the b52 out'a Atwater....

my server....

kind regards
brad
ko6kL

if I'm not on 2m WSPR then its on 144.39 aprs or 6m jt8

WA6LOL

Jul 17, 2021, 3:55:54 AM7/17/21
to 2 Meter WSPR
I have not been able to do much with acs bounces and wspr because of the dopler exeeding the wspr 4hz drift limit. does ms144 work with acs type drift??

n6...@sonic.net

Jul 17, 2021, 1:08:17 PM7/17/21
to WA6LOL, 2 Meter WSPR
On longer paths that are most 'interesting' I think there was generally only reflection present and that there was very little frequency shift due to path length change during a 2 minute WSPR window.

On these paths generally the aircraft is approximately on a line between wspr stations and the net path length rate of change is small.

This almost always results in a single wspr-decodable signal.

Steven Hess

Jul 17, 2021, 1:27:11 PM7/17/21
to n6...@sonic.net, WA6LOL, 2 Meter WSPR
I'm sure 99% of my spots from the Bay Area are ACS.
I'm running half a watt.
I don't think that's enough power for any other form of propagation.
I'm running PiAware SkyAware with their antenna, filter, and SDR dongle on a Pi 3B.
I'm seeing 114 aircraft right now. Most of them are between me and NorCal.
You can see a good idea of what's overhead here. Hit the "focus" icon and it will zoom to my location

WA6LOL

Jul 18, 2021, 4:50:07 PM7/18/21
to 2 Meter WSPR
N6GN  hi glenn! so what kind of distances do you get on these long haul staight line acs hops? can it be productive to watch "plane finder" and shoot for these hops with someone else on the distant end doing the same?

Glenn Elmore

Jul 18, 2021, 6:49:44 PM7/18/21
to WA6LOL, 2 Meter WSPR

I think the limit is around 950 km given the altitude of most commercial flights. That requires both stations to have a zero degree horizon and a generally good station.  Sonoma County has gotten into or spotted Washington state.

Yes, it's useful to watch PlaneFinder or FlightAware and plan around scheduled/indicated flights.  This mechanism also appears useful from 6m through microwave, given capable stations.  It appears that it has been exploited for years on 1296 between N and S California SSB nets where stations had largish antennas and power.  WSPR reduces those requirements a lot.

Large commercial aircraft appear to have  on the order of 1000 m^2 cross section, if I'm remembering correctly. Using this it is possible to predict signal strength and thus station requirements but without doing that, simply having reasonably good stations with low horizons things work very well.

As K6KGE said, we have done this for years up/down the CA central valley, rain or shine...

KP4MD

Jul 29, 2021, 2:34:48 PM7/29/21
to 2 Meter WSPR
Steve K6KGE from Taft is back on 2m WSPR this morning.

73, Carol KP4MD

K6KGE_2021-07-29.png

Steven Hess

Jul 30, 2021, 9:01:35 AM7/30/21
to KP4MD, 2 Meter WSPR
I've been there for a while.
My power was just so low I wasn't making it.
At 50 watts now.