Hello from EM66

Robin Midgett

Jan 5, 2024, 2:55:08 PMJan 5
to 2 Meter WSPR
Hello to the group,
I recently found this group while looking into options for horizontally polarized omnidirectional antennas. I'm interested in setting up some WSPR equipment and a set of VHF+ beacons. I enjoy learning and fabricating; I'd rather learn and build my own than just lay out ca$h for product when feasible. I've done some antenna modeling in MMANA but still have much to learn in terms of modeling antennas. I have some shop skills and tools. I can TIG weld aluminum, steel & stainless steel, and I can work with wood to some extent.
I'm looking forward to the group traffic.

Glenn Elmore

Jan 5, 2024, 5:08:30 PMJan 5
to 2-mete...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robin,

Nice to see someone from the Eastern side with interest, we have
especially had Western US activity though just recently I put on a 2m
WSPR beacon from Colorado.  This is a bit far for likely aircraft
scatter spotting to/from Tennessee. We've seen 900+ km routinely but not
quite as far as EM66 is from DN70. However we've also very much seen "if
you build it they will come" and simply getting on the air may shake
some more interest out of the trees. That's just beginning to happen
again in here in Colorado. With good tropo conditions we might do the
entire length to your QTH.

Horizontal polarization is indeed what we have all tended to use but
generally with a little gain so more ERP than you'd likely have from an
omnidirectional antenna.

Glenn n6gn

Fort Collins, CO  DN70ll

n3...@aol.com

Jan 5, 2024, 10:17:58 PMJan 5
to 2-mete...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest finding a like minded person with the same commitment as yours and start WSPRing among yourselves and hopefully other will catch on.

I borrowed that Beacon of Glenn's and with stacked halos on a tall mtn east of San Diego and could be decoded in Phoenix about 300 miles away. I lost my good spot and went to a lower mtn and he could no longer get it.

Even when on the top of the mtn I sent emails to clubs and individuals to monitor it but very few did.

2 meter WSPR requires better frequency accuracy and stability then most commercial rigs out of the box can do.

If you are on Facebook there is a group VHF WSPR (I think) mostly VK and ZL and they do 144 WSPR. If you are not on Facebook dont get on it.

I'm going to move back to 3 land or possibly 4 land in a few years. I'll check the WSPR map and see whats going on then.

73
Chris
N3IZN

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/2-meter-wspr/10c7393a-cb65-4cca-aca0-bb3afd2f268f%40sonic.net.