Using Apple AAUI Transciever w/ hub

Istarian

Nov 28, 2009, 11:53:10 AM11/28/09
to 1st-PowerMacs
Does anyone know if there's way to make the Apple AAUI Transciever
(using with Performa 6100/66 with built-in ethernet via aaui port)
work with a fast ethernet hub?

Dan

Nov 28, 2009, 12:26:55 PM11/28/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com
Hubs are blind/dumb octopuses - they only support one speed.

AUUI is 10 Mb. "Fast ethernet" is 100 Mb.

You need a 10/100 Switch, an intelligent hub. Then any port can be
either 10 Mb or 100 Mb and the box's electronics handle switching
data to the different ports at the appropriate speeds.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.

Ken Daggett

Nov 28, 2009, 12:33:19 PM11/28/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com
---------------------
Hmmm. Well, I just plugged the Transceiver into the 6100, and the
ethernet cable into the Transceiver and router/hub. Have used several
different brands of Transceiver and they "just worked." I didn't have
to do anything special.

What problem are you having?

Ken
http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gt1w/stackomacs

Istarian

Nov 30, 2009, 5:37:39 PM11/30/09
to 1st-PowerMacs
Well, I've got it hooked up via a standard ethernet cable to a Netgear
Fast Ethernet Hub and the light on the hub doesn't turn and you
clearly aren't connected on the mac side. I think it's one of these:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2364. Anyone now of a
way to force 10mbps manually at the hub?

Clark Martin

Nov 30, 2009, 5:43:47 PM11/30/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com
Istarian wrote:
> Well, I've got it hooked up via a standard ethernet cable to a Netgear
> Fast Ethernet Hub and the light on the hub doesn't turn and you
> clearly aren't connected on the mac side. I think it's one of these:
> http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2364. Anyone now of a
> way to force 10mbps manually at the hub?

You can't, that is a 100BaseT hub. It has no 10BaseT capability.
You'll need to get a 10/100 switch instead.

> On Nov 28, 12:33 pm, Ken Daggett <kadagg...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On 28 Nov 2009, at 08:53:10 PST, Istarian wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if there's way to make the Apple AAUI Transciever
>>> (using with Performa 6100/66 with built-in ethernet via aaui port)
>>> work with a fast ethernet hub?
>> ---------------------
>> Hmmm. Well, I just plugged the Transceiver into the 6100, and the
>> ethernet cable into the Transceiver and router/hub. Have used several
>> different brands of Transceiver and they "just worked." I didn't have
>> to do anything special.
>>
>> What problem are you having?
>>
>> Kenhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res7gt1w/stackomacs

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting

Charles Lenington

Dec 30, 2009, 12:59:07 PM12/30/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com
did you ever resolve the problem?

There were some macs that had to have a 10 base t hub to/before
connect(ing) to 100 base t

Ken Daggett

Dec 30, 2009, 2:13:35 PM12/30/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com

-------------
Generally, the AAUI "dongles" are adapters for the odd Apple port
that many Macs had when there were several different ethernet
"standards"
jockeying for dominance.

The ones that usually give problems with autosensing routers and
switches are those, particularly early models, of Asante brand
devices. All you really need to do is stick a "dumb" hub between
the Mac/AAUI adapter and the switch/router. You can often find
these old hubs at places like Goodwill for loose change.

Ken
http://mysite.verizon.net/res7gt1w/stackomacs

hartonj

Dec 30, 2009, 9:39:32 PM12/30/09
to 1st-PowerMacs
Nope didn't resolve the problem yet. I think i'm just going to buy a
4/5 port switch and solve it that way. Thanks for the help.