I can't make a copy of my Performa 6300CD CD; also mouse problems

DannyDunn

Feb 5, 2009, 5:20:34 PM2/5/09
to 1st-PowerMacs
Hi there,
I'm new here, and our family has a Macintosh Performa/Power Macintosh
6300CD. I wanted to make a copy of the software restore CD, because
the original is becoming scratched. I inserted it into our Intel iMac
running OS X 10.5, created a read-only disk image, and burned it to a
CD. It looked alright in the iMac's Finder, but after inserting it
into the Performa, it would not boot when I held down Command-Option-
Shift-Delete, which will work fine with the original disc.
Another problem I am having is with the included Apple Desktop Bus
Mouse II. When I last turned on this system, (about a year ago) the
mouse was very hard to click. It took a lot of pressure to click the
mouse button so that the Mac would recognize the click. Now, no matter
how hard or soft I click the mouse button, it will not click. I also
cannot open the cover on the mouse; it's been locked and I cannot
unlock it with a pin.
I hope you will be able to help.
Thanks very much,
Dan

Dan the listmom

Feb 11, 2009, 6:56:23 AM2/11/09
to 1st-PowerMacs
Dan,

A lot of older CD-ROM drives (mostly 1x and 2x units) are not
compatible with CD-R media.

If you're looking for a great replacement mouse, the Kensington Mouse-
in-a-Box USB/ADB Optical is a real treat. The one-button USB optical
mouse it lightweight, very responsive (Kensington has always made
great mice), and includes a special ADB-to-USB adapter that only works
with this mouse. Available from lots of vendors starting at under $30.
Search for:

kensington mouse-in-a-box adb optical 64475

on Google shopping.

Dan Knight, LowEndMac.com

joe

Feb 11, 2009, 8:41:45 AM2/11/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com
Are you saying the Performa can read the new CD but not boot from it?

When you made the CD in the iMac, did you just copy it or did you make a bootable copy with something like Carbon Copy Cloner?

Joe

DannyDunn

Mar 10, 2009, 10:52:15 AM3/10/09
to 1st-PowerMacs
Hi Joe,
I used the Disk Utility program to make the CD copy. The Performa will
not boot or read from the CD. I am basically wondering how I can
create a backup copy of the CD that came with the Performa.
Dan

joe

Mar 10, 2009, 12:53:57 PM3/10/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com
It might be easier just to put up a WTB notice on the lemswap list.  I suspect you can get one cheap (or maybe even for the cost of postage).

I had exactly that disk not so long ago--but I recently gave away a bunch of that stuff.  I'll have to check through my disks and see if I still have it.  If I do, I'll be happy to send it to you.

You can also use a normal OS install disk (the full retail OS, that is).  IIRC, that computer came with OS 8.0?  Or was that in the era where you could put 9.2 on it?  At any rate, I've probably got a bootable copy of both of those around.

Joe

On Mar 10, 2009, at 9:52 AM, DannyDunn wrote:

Hi Joe,

I used the Disk Utility program to make the CD copy. The Performa will

not boot or read from the CD. I am basically wondering how I can

create a backup copy of the CD that came with the Performa.

Dan

Joe the Juggler
4148 Wyoming St.
St. Louis, MO 63116