Disk repair problem

Eric Hall

Jun 29, 2009, 1:15:13 AM6/29/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com

Hi, everybody. I recently found a 6100/60 very cheap, and am trying to get it running well. It only boots once in a while - sometimes the video is blank. I'm thinking that problem is a pram battery. Easy fix.

When it does boot it goes into OS 8.5.1 - it has 80Meg of memory and about a 900 meg drive. When I run the disk help utility, it tells me there is an error - invalid sibling at 3,1. But it won't let me fix it because it's on the start-up drive. It has no cd rom to boot from, and even if it did, I don't have the system cd. Is there anyway around this, so I can repair the volume?

Thanks, Eric

Istarian

Jun 30, 2009, 8:14:38 AM6/30/09
to 1st-PowerMacs
being replaced should fix that problem. I have a 6100/66 DOS
compatible that had the same issue, sometimes video shows up sometimes
not, and replacing the PRAM battery made the video show up every time.
According to some websites online, mac os 8 can't be put on a floppy,
so you most likely can't boot that way. I don't know how you'd have to
do it, but maybe if you could get a system 7 boot floppy, it could fix
the drive error (might mangle the os install though). You'd probably
be better off buying a cd drive and a copy of mac os 8.5.

Eric Hall

Jun 30, 2009, 11:06:50 AM6/30/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I put in a battery from a B&W G3 I have. That solved the video problem. It quit booting now, though. I'm not going to spend any money for a CD rom for it. It will end up being thrown out unless I can get another O/S on it from floppy.

I booted up on floppy with the 8.1 Rescue floppy image that I created in OS X (another story for another day!) And the disk rescue program says the drive is unsupported. It might have died. If I can get 7.5.3 installed from diskette somehow, I'd go with that. But the first disk of the set does not seem to be bootable. I can't figure out how to install it!

Eric

Charles Lenington

Jun 30, 2009, 1:53:58 PM6/30/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com
look inside and tell me if the hd data cable has an empty connector. if
so i probably have hd or cd drives from this model..

Eric Hall

Jun 30, 2009, 7:04:34 PM6/30/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com

Thank you. It has space, and a connector, but there is no slot at the front, so it didn't come with a CD. At this point, there is nothing else to do with it, except maybe cannibalize it for parts.

I even tried two Seagate ST5600N 500mb drives in it, but they won't spin up unless I boot from the Disk_Tools_PPC.img diskette and initialize them. Then, they are not found on subsequent power ups. In any case, there is no way to get an O/S on it from just the 7.5.3 floppies, so I'm giving up on it.

I guess the keyboard, mouse, ram, and vram might be useful. Those things might even be worth the $20 I paid for the unit...

Mike Brookman

Jun 30, 2009, 3:54:13 AM6/30/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com
Invalid Sibling? You mean your brother or sister is invalid?

Where this is an interesting one....

Are they dead?

Istarian

Jul 1, 2009, 7:04:52 AM7/1/09
to 1st-PowerMacs
I think apple has system 7 available in on floppy for free download,
but that's a lot of disks, not sure if you can get an upgrade to 7.5
though. Ok, so you apparently can get system 7.5.3 from apple's site
at http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html It's 19
parts, so probably that many floppies. It doesn't appear possible to
get system 7.6, though there is a 7.6 to 7.6.1 update. I believe the
first disk of a set should be bootable (ie, if it's not there's an
issue) , but I couldn't say.

On Jun 30, 11:06 am, Eric Hall <jester_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes, I put in a battery from a B&W G3 I have. That solved the video problem. It quit booting now, though. I'm not going to spend any money for a CD rom for it. It will end up being thrown out unless I can get another O/S on it from floppy.
>
> I booted up on floppy with the 8.1 Rescue floppy image that I created in OS X (another story for another day!) And the disk rescue program says the drive is unsupported. It might have died. If I can get 7.5.3 installed from diskette somehow, I'd go with that. But the first disk of the set does not seem to be bootable. I can't figure out how to install it!
>
> Eric

Istarian

Jul 1, 2009, 7:11:02 AM7/1/09
to 1st-PowerMacs
There seems to be a downloadable net install of the update to Apple
System 7.5.5 Update available at http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/43
Whether or not apple still has a server to download from for it, hard
to say.

On Jul 1, 7:04 am, Istarian <Slashta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think apple has system 7 available in on floppy for free download,
> but that's a lot of disks, not sure if you can get an upgrade to 7.5
> though. Ok, so you apparently can get system 7.5.3 from apple's site
> athttp://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.htmlIt's 19

Eric Hall

Jul 1, 2009, 10:27:40 AM7/1/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com

Ok - long story but what the heck...

The 7.5.3 set from Apple's site does not include a bootable diskette. It's meant to be installed from an already booted system. I also do not believe that the set is PPC compatible. I did manage to find a 5 diskette set of 7.1.2, which was incredibly lucky because it's been taken down already.

So, I do have a bootable system of sorts. Still have the problem of the Seagate ST566ON HD not spinnng up unless I boot from the PPC_Disk_Tools diskette and poke it. But after I do that, I can boot 7.1 from it. I'm hoping I can get that annoyance fixed soon. Might just need to set a jumper on the drive - I hope.

After all that, I still can't install 7.5.3 - when I insert the first diskette and try to run the installer, I get error -199. That's the error code (according to Apple's web site) for "mapReadErr -Map inconsistent with operation". I'm thinking that's because it won't run on a PPC, only a 68k... So us PPC owners seem to be out of luck as far as 7.5.3 on Apple's site.

Eric

Antonio Rodríguez

Jul 1, 2009, 10:40:57 PM7/1/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com
Your problem with several different disk drives is because you are using
the official Apple tools with them, but they are Seagate drives. Back at
the time, each hardware vendor had its own setup tools, and thus,
Apple's ones (which are included in Apple's rescue disks) only worked
with Apple branded hard drives. They would recognize non-Apple drives
(after all, they were connected to the SCSI bus), but would refuse to
work with them, saying that they were unsupported. The solution is to
use the manufacturer's utilities (hard to find nowadays), or a version
of Apple's ones patched to work with non-Apple drives. Google is your
friend :-) .

Greetings,

Antonio Rodríguez (Grichan)
--
Photo gallery: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajgelado/>

Istarian

Jul 2, 2009, 9:22:28 AM7/2/09
to 1st-PowerMacs
So you can't install system 7.5.3 from disk because that set isn't
bootable and you can't use the disk set to install on a booted 7.1.2
because it crashes out with an error. Can you install from the
environment of the 8.1 rescue disk? FYI, the third post in this thread
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=118359 on a mac forum may
be helpful in your install problem.

On Jul 1, 10:27 am, Eric Hall <jester_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ok - long story but what the heck...
>
> The 7.5.3 set from Apple's site does not include a bootable diskette. It's meant to be installed from an already booted system. I also do not believe that the set is PPC compatible. I did manage to find a 5 diskette set of 7.1.2, which was incredibly lucky because it's been taken down already.
>
> So, I do have a bootable system of sorts. Still have the problem of the Seagate ST566ON HD not spinnng up unless I boot from the PPC_Disk_Tools diskette and poke it. But after I do that, I can boot 7.1 from it. I'm hoping I can get that annoyance fixed soon. Might just need to set a jumper on the drive - I hope.
>
> After all that, I still can't install 7.5.3 - when I insert the first diskette and try to run the installer, I get error -199. That's the error code (according to Apple's web site) for "mapReadErr -Map inconsistent with operation". I'm thinking that's because it won't run on a PPC, only a 68k... So us PPC owners seem to be out of luck as far as 7.5.3 on Apple's site.
>
> Eric

Message has been deleted

Istarian

Jul 2, 2009, 9:27:31 AM7/2/09
to 1st-PowerMacs
Maybe you could use the System 7.5 Network access disk?
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin

On Jul 2, 9:22 am, Istarian <Slashta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So you can't install system 7.5.3 from disk because that set isn't
> bootable and you can't use the disk set to install on a booted 7.1.2
> because it crashes out with an error. Can you install from the
> environment of the 8.1 rescue disk? FYI, the third post in this threadhttp://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=118359on a mac forum may

Eric Hall

Jul 2, 2009, 11:30:36 AM7/2/09
to 1st-po...@googlegroups.com

Well - the problem is that once you boot from a diskette it can't be ejected to put in an install disk.

I'll try and create a new install disk 1, the -199 error could just mean it's a bad diskette according to the post from the forum...

Thanks,

Eric