Local Urban Farm Update - Feb 28, 2013

Jay

Feb 28, 2013, 12:39:14 PM2/28/13
to Jay
Aloha y'all!

This upcoming weekend is pretty huge for many of us, with lots of amazing ways to participate... Here's just a few of the highlights...

First, this Friday, March 1st, Hayes Valley Farm officially deactivates half of the site in preparation for the formal end of our interim-use agreement in 90 days (June 1, 2013). It's a tremendous milestone for the project, demonstrating the success of interim use and our intention to continue in partnership with agencies of the city. In the meantime, we are all actively working on new/other projects all over town, and coordinating resources for an ultimate distribution of everything on the farm over the next 90 days. The official farm transition statement can be found on the farm's website, here. Along the same lines, I did an interview last week for an upcoming feature-length documentary called "Promises of Urban Agriculture," directed by Joseph Redwood-Martinez. Here's an excerpt from the film about Hayes Valley Farm demonstrating urban agriculture as a strategy for interim land use in San Francisco.

Then, on Saturday, March 2nd, there's an Urban Beekeeping class "Beekeepers Primer: Everything you need to consider before deciding to keep honey bees" at Hayes Valley Farm from 9am-12pm. And at the same time, a number of us will be working at the newest Urban Farm in the neighborhood from 10am-2pm atThe New Liberation Garden on Divisadero between Turk and Eddy. Here's some scenes from the first garden party on February 16th. Even more on Saturday at high noon, a Garden Tea Party Gala with an Alice in Wonderland theme at Please Touch Community Garden from 12-4pm.

On Sunday March 3rd, we start with a Walking Tour from The Future, set in the world of The Fifth Sacred Thing. If you want to time travel, you’ll want to sign up now. Tours are embarking this Sunday at 10am and there are only a few spaces available. This is a unique opportunity for a true adventure. Bring your wonder with you.

And if that's not enough, there's a full calendar of Volunteer Activities including some of your favorite urban farm projects and some new ones...

Hope to see you around!

All my best, always,
- Jay

Links in this message: