Some questions and comments

Ralf Menzel

Jan 31, 2011, 1:13:28 PM1/31/11
to 1858 playtest discussion
Hello,

after reading the rules and looking at the other play-test material
I've got some questions and comments.

I couldn't find in the rules how a 5 share company converts to a 10
share company.

The rules say that all 5 share companies must convert to 10 share
companies when phase 5 begins. Can they convert earlier than this?
When?

In the rules the Private Company Leon & Gijon has Min. Bid/Face Value
of 120 and a Revenue of 36,
but the Private Company certificate says Face Value P100, Revenue P30.
Which is correct?

Some Private Company certificates don't state a Min. Bid.
I think the default Min. Bid is a company's Face Value. This should
probably be stated explicitly in the rules.

You might also consider adding the number of each Private Company to
Private Company table.

Some Private Company certificates are marked with asterisks.
I can't find the meaning of these asterisks (**: not on map, *: no
home city) in the rules.

The Phase table says for Phase 2: * Yellow track is available
According to Section 9.2 this should probably be something like:
Phase 2: broad-gauge yellow track available
Phase 3: all yellow track available

The list of track tiles contains tile 204N. This should probably be
tile X6.

In Scott's tile redraw one X4 tile has a superfluous 10 income mark.

On the map the abbreviation for the Caceres, Madrid & Portugal is
C&MP. This should probably be CM&P.
The Seville, Jerez & Cadiz has SJC as abbreviation. Perhaps use SJ&C
instead.

Bye,
Ralf

Ian D Wilson

Feb 1, 2011, 3:42:32 PM2/1/11
to 1858-playtes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback Ralf, comments below:

--- On Mon, 31/1/11, Ralf Menzel <men...@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

>I couldn't find in the rules how a 5 share company converts to a 10
>share company.
>The rules say that all 5 share companies must convert to 10 share
>companies when phase 5 begins. Can they convert earlier than this?
>When?
You convert earlier by: the director electing to do so during a stock turn (it is classed as a sell action). This is missing from the rules.

>In the rules the Private Company Leon & Gijon has Min. Bid/Face Value
>of 120 and a Revenue of 36,
>but the Private Company certificate says Face Value P100, Revenue P30.
>Which is correct?
The rules are correct. The certificate is an old one with obsolete values. (I feel another update coming...)

>Some Private Company certificates don't state a Min. Bid.
>I think the default Min. Bid is a company's Face Value. This should
>probably be stated explicitly in the rules.
Yes, or maybe on the certificate?

>You might also consider adding the number of each Private Company to
>Private Company table.
Maybe.

>Some Private Company certificates are marked with asterisks.
>I can't find the meaning of these asterisks (**: not on map, *: no
>home city) in the rules.
The asterisks are just to remind you that there's something different about those privates. I doubt there's any need to add extra verbiage to the rules.

>The Phase table says for Phase 2: * Yellow track is available
>According to Section 9.2 this should probably be something like:
>Phase 2: broad-gauge yellow track available
>Phase 3: all yellow track available
OK.

>The list of track tiles contains tile 204N. This should probably be
>tile X6.
Yes.

>In Scott's tile redraw one X4 tile has a superfluous 10 income mark.
Indeed.

>On the map the abbreviation for the Caceres, Madrid & Portugal is
>C&MP. This should probably be CM&P.
>The Seville, Jerez & Cadiz has SJC as abbreviation. Perhaps use SJ&C
>instead.
Probably.

Ralf Menzel

Feb 2, 2011, 8:28:34 AM2/2/11
to 1858 playtest discussion
Thanks for your answers

On 1 Feb., 21:42, Ian D Wilson <ianwilson...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> You convert earlier by: the director electing to do so during a stock turn (it is classed as a sell action). This is missing from the rules.

I guess the conversion is done by simply turning the 5 face-down share
in the company treasury face-up.

Some more comments.

The cards for the 6H/3M trains: On the 6H side it says "Rusts on 6th
grey train" while on the 3M side it's "Rusts on 6th 7/6M".
I think this should be "Rusts on 6th grey train" on both sides.

On the train cards as well as in the rules there are still references
to "5/4M", "6/5M" or "7/6M" trains.
These should be "5E/4M", "6E/5M" and "7E/6M" instead, I think.

In Section 8.2 BUYING STOCK:
"To buy stock, the player whose turn it is transfers one 10%
certificate from the Public Company’s Treasury or
the Bank Pool into his own holdings."

I think the "10%" is wrong. You can surely buy certificates of 5 and
20 share companies.

How is the (junior) double-share certificate of 20 share company
handled? (I assume you can sell it.) Can you buy it directly?
Or do you already have to own one share of the company and when you
buy another (virtual?) share you can exchange them
both for the double share? (Even if you are at the certificate limit?)
Or could you even exchange two shares you already own?
(Would that be a Buy Action?)

Bye,
Ralf

Ian D Wilson

Feb 2, 2011, 3:48:02 PM2/2/11
--- On Wed, 2/2/11, Ralf Menzel <men...@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
>> You convert earlier by: the director electing to do so during a stock turn (it is >>classed as a sell action). This is missing from the rules.
>I guess the conversion is done by simply turning the 5 face-down share
>in the company treasury face-up.
Correct. (You can then trade-in a private and/or buy a share.)

>The cards for the 6H/3M trains: On the 6H side it says "Rusts on 6th
>grey train" while on the 3M side it's "Rusts on 6th 7/6M".
>I think this should be "Rusts on 6th grey train" on both sides.
Yes.

>On the train cards as well as in the rules there are still references
>to "5/4M", "6/5M" or "7/6M" trains.
>These should be "5E/4M", "6E/5M" and "7E/6M" instead, I think.
Yes.

>In Section 8.2 BUYING STOCK:
>"To buy stock, the player whose turn it is transfers one 10%
>certificate from the Public Company’s Treasury or
>the Bank Pool into his own holdings."
>I think the "10%" is wrong. You can surely buy certificates of 5 and
>20 share companies.
Yes.

>How is the (junior) double-share certificate of 20 share company
>handled? (I assume you can sell it.) Can you buy it directly?
>Or do you already have to own one share of the company and when you
>buy another (virtual?) share you can exchange them
>both for the double share? (Even if you are at the certificate limit?)
>Or could you even exchange two shares you already own?
>(Would that be a Buy Action?)
The rules are silent on this subject because I never thought anybody would want to sell one. Since it is sort of like a director certificate, perhaps the rules should be similar (i.e. it can't be in the pool, the second-highest shareholder owns it and if overtaken has to swap 2-for-1, etc)?

Ian D

Chris Shaffer

Feb 2, 2011, 4:37:29 PM2/2/11
to 1858-playtes...@googlegroups.com
The rules are silent on this subject because I never thought anybody would want to sell one. Since it is sort of like a director certificate, perhaps the rules should be similar (i.e. it can't be in the pool, the second-highest shareholder owns it and if overtaken has to swap 2-for-1, etc)?

This is kind of neat, because it gives people an incentive to increase their minority shareholding stake.  I don't know of any other mechanic (besides profitability) that has this affect.
--
Chris

Ian D Wilson

Feb 2, 2011, 5:26:17 PM2/2/11
--- On Wed, 2/2/11, Chris Shaffer <chris....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>The rules are silent on this subject because I never thought anybody would want to >>sell one. Since it is sort of like a director certificate, perhaps the rules should be >>similar (i.e. it can't be in the pool, the second-highest shareholder owns it and if >>overtaken has to swap 2-for-1, etc)?

>This is kind of neat, because it gives people an incentive to increase their minority >shareholding stake.  I don't know of any other mechanic (besides profitability) that has >this affect.
Actually, I've never seen any pair of players agree to a 10-10 merger yet, it's always been one player merging both his companies - so he owns both double-shares anyway.

Ian D

Dave Berry

Mar 26, 2011, 8:10:55 AM3/26/11
to 1858-playtes...@googlegroups.com
Ian,

I have a minor follow up to Ralf's question about converting 5-share companies to 10-shares.  Normally this happens during the Stock Round.  In Phase Five, all remaining 5-share companies must convert to 10-share companies.  Does this happen immediately, i.e. during the OR when the train is purchased, or does it happen in the next SR?   My guess is that it happens immediately; it might be worth adding a sentence to clarify this.

Dave.

Ian D Wilson

Mar 26, 2011, 12:53:54 PM3/26/11
to 1858-playtes...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

Rule 9.10 says "Phase 5 starts on the purchase of the first 5E/4M Train. At the start of Phase 5, all 5-share Companies must convert to 10-share." In addition, Rule 9.8 says "...the effects of each Train purchase apply immediately after each is bought."

So, the conversion is immediate (and compulsory) - even before the operating company that bought the 5E/4M finishes its turn. Only voluntary conversions happen during stock rounds.

Ian D