Anthony Campaniello

Gregory Aronne

Jul 30, 2018, 5:30:04 PM7/30/18
to Vultures & Copperheads
Anthony Campaniello is my uncle who died in a helicopter crash on December 19, 1967 in the Bing Duong Province. I recently acquired his Army trunk from my mother (his sister). The contents appears to be frozen in time and full of so much to tell me about my uncle, but I am sure there is more to him that just what is in this trunk. He was 21 when he died and I do not have many pictures or stories to know him by. I am looking to see if anybody here knew my uncle and has any stories or pictures they can share. I have been researching as much about him as possible. I am putting together a shadow box so he can be honored in my home everyday and a scrapbook to safeguard all the correspondences and writings found in his trunk. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

God bless all you veterans!

Eric Bray

Jul 30, 2018, 5:34:50 PM7/30/18
to Vultures & Copperheads
On December 19th  the Vultures were engaged in training exercises for newly arrived troops of the 101 Airborne at Phouc Vinh.  One ship (65-09987) took off from the airfield with 6 troops on board for a practice
CA.  However, as they turned downwind the engine failed at 200 feet.  The AC, WO John F. Holz, attempted to extend his glide past a stand of rubber trees but the ship came down hard, bounced upside down and blew up, killing all 10 people on board.  In addition to WO Holz, the lost crewmembers were WO Larry A. Harke (pilot),
SP4 Robert D. Kline (crewchief), and SP4 Anthony V. Campaniello (gunner).

Claire Owens

Jul 30, 2018, 6:44:31 PM7/30/18
to 162n...@googlegroups.com
My father witnessed that crash, however I’m not sure if he knew your uncle. I am asking him now. He spoke often often about it, and it influenced his decisions when his own bird went down.

Gregory Aronne

Jul 31, 2018, 8:24:18 AM7/31/18
to Vultures & Copperheads
Thank you for yor response.

Gregory Aronne

Jul 31, 2018, 8:24:18 AM7/31/18
to Vultures & Copperheads
Claire, I appreciate you and your father sharing that with me. If he rememebrs anymore I would of course love to hear it. Thank you both again.

Claire Owens

Aug 1, 2018, 7:31:34 AM8/1/18
to 162n...@googlegroups.com
If you could email me directly, I can share what he said about it and provide you some information. I recently found one of his gunners who he patched up in the air. They meet up a few weeks ago, haven’t seen each other since 1968 I believe. Anything I can do to help ☺️

Clair...@outlook.com

On Jul 30, 2018, at 8:31 PM, Gregory Aronne <gaar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Claire, I appreciate you and your father sharing that with me. If he rememebrs anymore I would of course love to hear it. Thank you both again.

Stephen

Aug 1, 2018, 7:31:34 AM8/1/18
to 162n...@googlegroups.com
May they all rest in peace.