GE crop threat

Rainbow Vogt

May 22, 2008, 5:29:36 PM5/22/08
to 12 Seed Initiative
Dear 12 Seeders,

It has been too long since we have communicated. How are you? What is
happening in your work? How is life in your corner of the world? I
read the biotech alert sent out by the Organic Consumers Association
this week and thought of the 12 seed initiative. I was so happy that
we were able to compose and pubilsh an article on this topic and I
wonder if you have thoughts on next steps. Specifically, on the issue
below-- aid delivery in the form of GE crops. What are creative ways
of developing other forms of aid both in terms of local/regional
projects and also ways that international groups can act?
Perhaps it can relate to the new 350 initiative through which groups
worldwide from the biggest cities to the smallest villages are
connecting to reduce our carbon emissions to below 350 parts per
million to avoid irreversible damage to the planet. See this link for
more info: http://www.350.org/4/
Anyways, I just wanted to send that along and put out a call for
requests on ideas. It would be a pleasure to hear from you. I just
started a blog that I would like to share with you-- it's at: :
http://ididitanddugit.blogspot.com/

Peace and blessings to all of you,
Rainbow

BIOTECH ALERT OF THE WEEK:
STOP BUSH'S BIOTECH BULLYING!
According to the Chicago Tribune, the White House is attempting to
force famine stricken countries, mostly in sub-Saharan Africa, to
plant genetically engineered (GE) crops, as part of a $770 million aid
package. Untested and largely unregulated GE crops are controversial,
not only in Europe and other industrialized countries, but in the
developing world as well. At least 40 countries around the world have
restricted GE farming and ingredients in foods by requiring mandatory
labeling, while a number of nations and regions have banned
genetically modified organisms in agriculture altogether. Beyond
health and environmental concerns, and contrary to industry
propaganda, GE crops do not significantly increase yields, but rather
force farmers to stop saving their seeds and instead buy toxic
chemicals and highly priced patented seeds from biotech companies such
as Monsanto, Syngenta, Bayer, Dupont, Dow,'s and BASF. Please take
action today and urge your members of Congress to reject the Bush
Administration's force-feeding of biotech crops to impoverished
nations: http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_12463.cfm