Final Exam

milad memarzadeh

May 7, 2013, 1:36:48 PM5/7/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is it going to be questions about Variational Inference? As I remember Alex didn't have time to go into details of it.

Thanks,

Barnabas Poczos

May 7, 2013, 1:50:47 PM5/7/13
to milad memarzadeh, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
At the end of the EM lecture I covered the main ideas of variational
inference, so there might be questions about those slides.
[You should know that in variational methods we maximize the free
energy F in theta and distribution q, but in contrast to EM we don't
choose the best distribution q, which would be P(y|D_\theta_t).]

Best,
> --
> http://alex.smola.org/teaching/cmu2013-10-701 (course website)
> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSO_6-bSqHQmMKwWVvYwKreGu4b4kMU9
> (YouTube playlist)
> ---
> To post to this group, send email to
> 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com.

milad memarzadeh

May 7, 2013, 3:58:30 PM5/7/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Another quick question. Is ICA algorithms (Fast ICA),  Entropy Estimation (without density), Mutual information estimation ( without density), Kernel methods and RKHS included in the final exam?

Thanks,
Milad

Se-Joon

May 7, 2013, 4:32:49 PM5/7/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Is the final exam open notes/book like the midterm?

Barnabas Poczos

May 7, 2013, 5:19:15 PM5/7/13
to milad memarzadeh, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
No, they won't be included in the final since we didn't cover them
during lectures.

phyllis0618

May 8, 2013, 12:53:00 AM5/8/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com, milad memarzadeh
Hi Barnabas,

Since the final exam will cover everything, I am wondering whether it will more focus on the first half of the semester or the last half? And will it requires a lot of calculations?

Thanks!

在 2013年5月7日星期二UTC-4下午5时19分15秒,Barnabas Poczos写道:
No, they won't be included in the final since we didn't cover them
during lectures.

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM, milad memarzadeh
<memarzad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another quick question. Is ICA algorithms (Fast ICA),  Entropy Estimation
> (without density), Mutual information estimation ( without density), Kernel
> methods and RKHS included in the final exam?
>
> Thanks,
> Milad
>
> --
> http://alex.smola.org/teaching/cmu2013-10-701 (course website)
> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSO_6-bSqHQmMKwWVvYwKreGu4b4kMU9
> (YouTube playlist)
> ---

Barnabas Poczos

May 8, 2013, 1:05:10 AM5/8/13
to phyllis0618, 10-701-spring-2013-cmu, milad memarzadeh
There will be questions from the whole semester. Some of them will
require calculations. Some other questions
will test your understanding at a conceptual level and will not
require any calculations.
>> > email to 10-701-spring-201...@googlegroups.com.
>> > To post to this group, send email to
>> > 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com.
>> >

> --
> http://alex.smola.org/teaching/cmu2013-10-701 (course website)
> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSO_6-bSqHQmMKwWVvYwKreGu4b4kMU9
> (YouTube playlist)
> ---

milad memarzadeh

May 8, 2013, 1:12:19 AM5/8/13
to Barnabas Poczos, phyllis0618, 10-701-spring-2013-cmu
Can we use calculator?
--
Milad Memarzadeh, M.Sc.
Doctoral Candidate, Advanced Infrastructure Systems

Barnabas Poczos

May 8, 2013, 1:29:28 AM5/8/13
to milad memarzadeh, phyllis0618, 10-701-spring-2013-cmu
If your calculator is non-electronic, then you can use it. Electronic
devices are not allowed.

Ruikun Luo

May 8, 2013, 2:14:21 AM5/8/13
to Barnabas Poczos, milad memarzadeh, phyllis0618, 10-701-spring-2013-cmu
So we can only use abacus?

Barnabas Poczos

May 8, 2013, 3:36:13 AM5/8/13
to Ruikun Luo, milad memarzadeh, phyllis0618, 10-701-spring-2013-cmu
There are a few other possibilities :-)
http://www.xnumber.com/xnumber/mechanical1.htm

Cheers,
Barnabas