Can a positive semidefinite matrix be asymmetric?

Kumar Shaurya Shankar

Feb 19, 2013, 10:23:52 PM2/19/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I've been going around in circles for a long time on this (wrt Q3.2.1) , and I have conflicting answers as to this query.

So, I have examples of non symmetric matrices with positive eigen values that give me the required result. But is that expected/acceptable?

Thanks!

Vagelis Papalexakis

Feb 19, 2013, 10:27:25 PM2/19/13
to Kumar Shaurya Shankar, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I guess this is not right, since a positive semidefinite matrix is *defined* to be symmetric and (a whole list of equivalent statements, such as) having non-negative eigenvalues.

Hope that clarifies things a bit, at least.

Vagelis

--
http://alex.smola.org/teaching/cmu2013-10-701 (course website)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSO_6-bSqHQmMKwWVvYwKreGu4b4kMU9 (YouTube playlist)

Ishan Misra

Feb 19, 2013, 10:31:38 PM2/19/13
to Vagelis Papalexakis, Kumar Shaurya Shankar, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
This might help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive-definite_matrix#Quadratic_forms

In the case of real matrices -
"It turns out that the matrix M is positive definite if and only if it is symmetric and its quadratic form is a strictly convex function"

--
Regards,
Ishan Misra

All our knowledge has its origins in our perceptions.
Work as if somewhere something is waiting to be discovered.

Barnabas Poczos

Feb 19, 2013, 10:34:09 PM2/19/13
to Vagelis Papalexakis, Kumar Shaurya Shankar, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Exactly, a positive semidefinite matrix has to be symmetric by definition.
See, e.g. here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive-definite_matrix

Barnabas

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM, Vagelis Papalexakis