problem 5 polynomial kernel

zhuoc

Feb 19, 2013, 7:27:24 PM2/19/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm working on problem 5. _All_ results look fine except using polynomial kernel in dual form, where I can only get around 40% accuracy...
Here, I set C to 1. If I change it to 0.1, I then get 94% accuracy. If I change C to 100, then both accuracy of polynomial and linear kernel (only in dual form) drop.
Does anyone have an idea what I might get wrong?

Thanks,

Zhuo

Junier Oliva

Feb 19, 2013, 9:08:21 PM2/19/13
to zhuoc, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
The point of this exercise is not to get a low training error. And yes, different values of C will result in different classifiers, thus different accuracies. Also, recall that a high training accuracy is not always a good thing since you may be over fitting.

Best,
Junier

--
http://alex.smola.org/teaching/cmu2013-10-701 (course website)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSO_6-bSqHQmMKwWVvYwKreGu4b4kMU9 (YouTube playlist)

zhuoc

Feb 19, 2013, 9:15:57 PM2/19/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com, zhuoc
Hi Junier,

Thanks for your reply. I know that low training error is not necessarily good. However, my concern, and question, is that I get different results when solving the same problem in primal and dual form. I also set C to be equal. So I guess there should be some implementation problem?

Thanks,

Zhuo

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM, zhuoc <czx...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm working on problem 5. _All_ results look fine except using polynomial kernel in dual form, where I can only get around 40% accuracy...
Here, I set C to 1. If I change it to 0.1, I then get 94% accuracy. If I change C to 100, then both accuracy of polynomial and linear kernel (only in dual form) drop.
Does anyone have an idea what I might get wrong?

Thanks,

Zhuo

--
http://alex.smola.org/teaching/cmu2013-10-701 (course website)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSO_6-bSqHQmMKwWVvYwKreGu4b4kMU9 (YouTube playlist)
---

zhuoc

Feb 19, 2013, 9:26:46 PM2/19/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com, zhuoc
Hi Junier,

Also, the weird thing is that only with polynomial kernel do I see the difference between primal and dual form solution. And the difference changes with different Cs. Do you have any idea about this?

[...]

Helen

Feb 19, 2013, 11:17:30 PM2/19/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
I came across similiar problem before.

It's mainly due to the precision in optimization.

Different optimization toolbox brought significantly different result.
Also, the precision in matlab might also bring problem.

After I tune the iteration control and precision, I can get around 94% accuracy using polynominal kernel in dual problem.