HW3, 1.3

tonydear

Feb 26, 2013, 5:43:01 PM2/26/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
For the functions in F (both eqs 2 and 3), does a classifier implicitly take the sign of the sinusoidal function result? Or should the constructed classifier always return {-1, 1}?

Barnabas Poczos

Feb 28, 2013, 4:31:24 PM2/28/13
to tonydear, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Even if we don't say explicitly, always imagine that there is a sign
function applied on the outputs of the functions, that is
f_{alpha}=sign(sin(alpha*pi* x)).

For each alpha, this defines an f_{alpha} function. The set of these
f_{alpha} functions is a function set. You need to prove that the VC
dimension of this function set is infinite.

Best,
Barnabas