Hw4 1.1

Jason

Mar 28, 2013, 2:36:21 PM3/28/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Does it mean that we should design a general exponential family distribution that can model all the three different distributions? thank you.

Jason

Alex Smola

Mar 28, 2013, 2:37:55 PM3/28/13
to Jason, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
yes. you should design such an exponential family. i already gave you the sufficient statistic, so this should be a relatively simple thing to do.

--
http://alex.smola.org/teaching/cmu2013-10-701 (course website)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSO_6-bSqHQmMKwWVvYwKreGu4b4kMU9 (YouTube playlist)

                            ''~``
                           ( o o )
+----------------------.oooO--(_)--Oooo.---------------------------+
| Prof. Alexander J. Smola             http://alex.smola.org       |
| 5000 Forbes Ave                      phone: (+1) 408-759-1044    |
| Gates Hillman Center 8002            Carnegie Mellon University  |
| Pittsburgh 15213 PA    (   )   Oooo. Machine Learning Department |
+-------------------------\ (----(   )-----------------------------+
                          \_)    ) /
                                (_/

Jason

milad memarzadeh

Mar 28, 2013, 2:52:07 PM3/28/13
to Jason, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com, Alex Smola
I'm a little confused how we can model the bimodal distribution only using [x x^2]? Can we add components like x^3 to our sufficient statistics? As far as I know it's not possible to model bimodal distribution using only the provided sufficient statistics? Can you give us any hint on that?

Thanks,
Milad

Milad Memarzadeh, M.Sc.
Doctoral Candidate, Advanced Infrastructure Systems
Carnegie Mellon University

GOH Chun Fan

Mar 28, 2013, 11:55:54 PM3/28/13
to milad memarzadeh, Jason, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com, Alex Smola
The given statistic suggests normal distribution. Does this mean we have to use only normal distribution for all three scenarios? Or can we use other distribution by modifying the statistics?

Thank you.

Chun Fan
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to 10-701-spring-2013-c...@googlegroups.com.

Yitong Zhou

Mar 29, 2013, 12:34:28 PM3/29/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
I am confused too, I think if only use x x^2 to model the bimodal distribution, you can only get a convex region, but cannot get two mountains look like sin(x)