Piazza - Alternative to Google Groups

Karthik

Feb 7, 2013, 12:03:42 AM2/7/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
I find that following updates on the Google group is not at all convenient, and it is really hard to look for things specific to (for example) a particular homework question. I spoke to a couple of other students in the class and we all have had pretty good experiences using Piazza (https://piazza.com/) as an online class forum - it differentiates instructors' responses from students' responses, allows easy searching for a specific topic and just makes everything easier.

I would like to suggest using Piazza instead of the Google group - what do the students and instructors think about switching?

Alex Smola

Feb 7, 2013, 12:05:38 AM2/7/13
to Karthik, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
hi guys,

we will NOT switch to piazza. i've used it last year for my class. it's useful in some ways and less useful in others. e.g. mail integration is not as good. maybe next time we can use it but it is an insane amount of hassle if 200 folks need to re-register with a different system just because the user interface is (maybe) less pretty.

take care,

alex

--
http://alex.smola.org/teaching/cmu2013-10-701 (course website)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSO_6-bSqHQmMKwWVvYwKreGu4b4kMU9 (YouTube playlist)

                            ''~``
                           ( o o )
| Prof. Alexander J. Smola             http://alex.smola.org       |
| 5000 Forbes Ave                      phone: (+1) 408-759-1044    |
| Gates Hillman Center 8002            Carnegie Mellon University  |
| Pittsburgh 15213 PA    (   )   Oooo. Machine Learning Department |
                                (_/