Project Group?

Adam Blank

Feb 8, 2013, 5:23:22 PM2/8/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

The people that I was going to work with on the project have decided to drop the class; so, now I am looking for a group.  I have a couple ideas, but I'm open to most things.

Thanks!
--Adam

Jit Nandi

Feb 8, 2013, 6:52:43 PM2/8/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

Both of the people I was planning on working with decided to join a different group today, so I no longer have a group. I have a possible project idea, but I willing to work on just about anything.

- Jit

Yitong Zhou

Feb 9, 2013, 1:05:28 AM2/9/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,
 I have met the same problem currently, one of our team member quit so there are only two of us. (Really don't like these last minute quiting things.) What is the idea in your mind? We are currently thinking in the direction of information retrieval, sentiment analysis etc. But it is really nice to hear your thoughts and see if we can get a match.

Yitong Zhou

在 2013年2月8日星期五UTC-5下午5时23分22秒,Adam Blank写道:

mehdi rashidi

Feb 9, 2013, 12:19:59 PM2/9/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I wanna work on the unsupervised disaggregation of home power signal output using Hidden Markov Models.I have the data available.for more info you can check the link.https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstream/handle/2142/30909/Kim_Hyungsul.pdf?sequence=1

Thanks,

Mehdi,

Suman Giri

Feb 9, 2013, 12:27:33 PM2/9/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Mehdi,

Our team (Four of us ) is working on the exact same project on the same dataset. We are infact extending it by quite a bit (by including other methods on top of the HMMs.) So, just a heads up.

Regards,
Suman

Alex Smola

Feb 9, 2013, 12:30:50 PM2/9/13
to Suman Giri, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
check out http://arxiv.org/abs/1203.1365 which describes such a system. and they've got code, too. so you want to extend this.

--
http://alex.smola.org/teaching/cmu2013-10-701 (course website)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSO_6-bSqHQmMKwWVvYwKreGu4b4kMU9 (YouTube playlist)

                            ''~``
                           ( o o )
+----------------------.oooO--(_)--Oooo.---------------------------+
| Prof. Alexander J. Smola             http://alex.smola.org       |
| 5000 Forbes Ave                      phone: (+1) 408-759-1044    |
| Gates Hillman Center 8002            Carnegie Mellon University  |
| Pittsburgh 15213 PA    (   )   Oooo. Machine Learning Department |
+-------------------------\ (----(   )-----------------------------+
                          \_)    ) /
                                (_/

Suman Giri

Alex Smola

Feb 9, 2013, 12:38:41 PM2/9/13
to Suman Giri, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
actually, the code _does_implement_ hidden semi markov models. in fact, it implements it with an unspecified (aka nonparametric) number of hidden states. and in the paper they describe power consumption analysis.

so, for the purpose of the project you need to think how you're going to differentiate yourself from simply re-running the experiments that they have in the paper. the paper itself is _not_ easy reading. i can help if you have questions but this is more at the advanced level of eric xing's graphical models class.

Suman Giri

Feb 9, 2013, 12:48:23 PM2/9/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com, Suman Giri, al...@smola.org
Sounds good. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Suman
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to 10-701-spring-2013-cmu+unsubscri...@googlegroups.com.

milad memarzadeh

Feb 9, 2013, 12:48:53 PM2/9/13
to Alex Smola, Suman Giri, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex for your help. Im in this group and im taking also the PGM class with Eric Xing, so I will talk to him also about extension of this method.

Thanks,
Milad
Milad Memarzadeh
Sent from my iPhone
Sorry for brevity and errors

mehdi rashidi

Feb 10, 2013, 2:56:16 PM2/10/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

I have the same problem.I am willing to join you guys