Question: HW1 3.5

Yitong Zhou

Feb 4, 2013, 7:29:26 PM2/4/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
This section requires " picking 1%, 2%, 5% ~~~ 100% of data and compare performances".

But referring to a certain percentage of data, how should I separate training and testing dataset accordingly? Does it mean I should leave out 1%,2%,....100% data for test and the rest for train, or it means I should pick out 1% of my data for testing and training in total and maybe do a 10-fold in it?

Thanks,
Yitong Zhou

David Fouhey

Feb 5, 2013, 2:53:09 PM2/5/13
to Yitong Zhou, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious about this as well -- is either interpretation of this
question ok, or is there a preferred interpretation?

Thanks,
David
> --
> http://alex.smola.org/teaching/cmu2013-10-701 (course website)
> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSO_6-bSqHQmMKwWVvYwKreGu4b4kMU9
> (YouTube playlist)
> ---
> To post to this group, send email to
> 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com.

zhuoc

Feb 5, 2013, 8:14:44 PM2/5/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Anyone answering this question?

matin...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2013, 8:15:15 PM2/5/13
to zhuoc, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
The way I and some of my friends interpret this was that the percentages refer to the whole number of data you will use, and then applying 10-fold CV on that fraction of data.

Best,
Matineh

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: zhuoc <czx...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 17:14:44 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [10-701-spring-2013 QA] Re: Question: HW1 3.5

Vagelis Papalexakis

Feb 5, 2013, 8:28:01 PM2/5/13
to matin...@gmail.com, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com, zhuoc

I independently assumed the same thing.

So I guess that since more people did it this way, it's a reasonable thing to do (although this conclusion is not always right :-) )

Vagelis

milad memarzadeh

Feb 5, 2013, 8:30:26 PM2/5/13
to Vagelis Papalexakis, Matineh Eybpoosh, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com, zhuoc
I hope this is correct, because I'm not gonna run the entire thing again :) That means first choose 1% of your data and do the k-fold cross validation on them, then repeat it with more data until you do it for the full dataset.

Hope it helps
Milad Memarzadeh, M.Sc.
Doctoral Candidate, Advanced Infrastructure Systems
Carnegie Mellon University

Leila Wehbe

Feb 5, 2013, 8:31:17 PM2/5/13
to Vagelis Papalexakis, matin...@gmail.com, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com, zhuoc
Sorry guys I replied with my cs address so the email didn't go through:

You can do both. The better option is to split your original data into train and test set (for example 2000 and 1000 points) and use1%, 2% ...100%. But you can also do the entire cross validation data on 1%, 2% etc...

Thanks

Leila