basketball predictions

Jerry Vinokurov

Jan 30, 2013, 6:56:39 PM1/30/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
I'm tentatively interested in taking up basketball prediction for the class project and I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in such a thing as well. The basic idea would be to predict head-to-head scores, as well as individual player statistics, based on past history as well as team dynamics and playing styles. The dataset for this would have to be harvested, but play-by-play data for the NBA is available and can be collected relatively easily. If you're interested in this sort of thing as well, drop me a line.

cheers,
Jerry

Alex Smola

Feb 4, 2013, 12:28:27 AM2/4/13
to Jerry Vinokurov, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
check out what nate silver did before predicting the elections.
--
http://alex.smola.org/teaching/cmu2013-10-701 (course website)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSO_6-bSqHQmMKwWVvYwKreGu4b4kMU9 (YouTube playlist)

                            ''~``
                           ( o o )
| Prof. Alexander J. Smola             http://alex.smola.org       |
| 5000 Forbes Ave                      phone: (+1) 408-759-1044    |
| Gates Hillman Center 8002            Carnegie Mellon University  |
| Pittsburgh 15213 PA    (   )   Oooo. Machine Learning Department |
                                (_/