about further reading

Helen

Jan 26, 2013, 9:20:08 PM1/26/13
to 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com

I want to know that the further reading is required or optional? is it related to homework or exam?

It seems that some readings are for the part in "red color". Can I also understand the importance of this reading list based on the "color coding rule"?

Alex Smola

Jan 27, 2013, 9:23:14 PM1/27/13
to Helen, 10-701-spri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Helen,

As explained in lecture 1 on the first set of green slides:

Red - regular stuff (I picked red as default for the CMU red)
Yellow - more important
Green - typically key algorithms

Further reading is just in case you want to know more than what we covered in the class. Note that red doesn't mean that you won't need to know it in the exam. But green is usually key stuff and red is more of an explanation. I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Alex

--
http://alex.smola.org/teaching/cmu2013-10-701 (course website)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZSO_6-bSqHQmMKwWVvYwKreGu4b4kMU9 (YouTube playlist)

                            ''~``
                           ( o o )
| Prof. Alexander J. Smola             http://alex.smola.org       |
| 5000 Forbes Ave                      phone: (+1) 408-759-1044    |
| Gates Hillman Center 8002            Carnegie Mellon University  |
| Pittsburgh 15213 PA    (   )   Oooo. Machine Learning Department |
                                (_/