Understanding Android graphics

Satyaprasad

Nov 23, 2012, 12:39:33 PM11/23/12
to 0xlab...@googlegroups.com

Iam working on a POS(Point of Sale) terminal .

Following are the details of the H/W and S/W of the PoS:
  • ARM Cortex A8
  • Has GPU for 2D and 3D acceleration
  • Android Gingerbread
Following are some of the issues we are seeing:

  • Scrolling on a list consumes 70-80% of the CPU.
  • Using the gestures on the browser causes the CPU usage to go up to 70-80%..
  • The UI refresh also has been taking time.

The traceview output shows the function PerformTraversals to consume the CPU in majority of the cases.

  1. Can you give pointers on how to enhance the performance of UI on Gingerbread?
  2. Also there is lot of confusion on whether Android(Gingerbread) uses the GPU for composition or rendering?
  3. How to port Android(Gingerbread) on a platform without GPU and still have good UI performance?

Regards,
SatyaPrasad

Jim Huang

Dec 15, 2012, 11:19:45 PM12/15/12
to 0xlab...@googlegroups.com
hi Satyaprasad,

I am not sure if it is a good idea to use Android as the operating
system for POS terminal.

I would suggest as following:
(1) Eliminate the primitive graphics operations such as dithering and
blur in SurfaceFlinger. You can check them in surfaceflinger and
framework source code.
(2) Enable the debugging mechanisms to figure out the amount of layers
which are requested to update. Typically, you can improve the
performance by reducing the unused / not necessary layers.
(3) Reduce color depth and resolution. Worse display, but better score.
(4) Turn off the animation as possible as you can.

Thanks,
Jim Huang a.k.a. "jserv"
http://0xlab.org/

vishnu Tadepalli