Aprof not generating .aprof files

vishnu Tadepalli

Nov 15, 2012, 8:19:45 PM11/15/12
to 0xlab...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

We are a product based company working on android based vehicle infotainment systems.
We are using an. ARM cortex A8  based board for our product.
We need to profile some of the applications and native code developed specifically for the automotive domain.
We have decided to use Aprof for profiling the native code and JNI .

Following are the steps we have followed:

http://hpc.csie.ntust.edu.tw/ ~ kito/aprof-patchs.tar.bz2

  1. Downloaded the aprof patches from the above URL
  2. Apply the patches to the android source code we are using (Android Gingerbread)
  3. Compiled all the binaries (system.img,uboot.img,ramdisk.img etc)
  4. Flashed the compiled images onto the target and tried running the following applications
  • profiler-test
  • profiler-test-np
  • profiler-test-static
  • profiler-test-dl

Following is the problem we are facing:

  1. The profiler output file(progname.aprof) is not getting generated.

NOTE :we have even tried hard coding the path and name of the profiler output file as /data/local/tmp/temp.aprof.

But the profiler output file is not getting generated

NOTE:The prebuilt toolchain we are using is arm-eabi-4.4.3

NOTE:On enabling linker debug messages invoking aprof_mcount are being seen.

NOTE:we have used the below URL as reference

http://kitoslab.blogspot.in/2012/02/aprof-android-profiler-profiling-tool.html

Can you please help us with some inputs on the cause of the issue?

Regards,
Vishnu

Kito Cheng

Nov 15, 2012, 11:29:13 PM11/15/12
to 0xlab...@googlegroups.com, vishnu.t...@gmail.com
Could you provide the detail log from the logcat?
Does the all 4 test programs have no output?

vishnu Tadepalli

Nov 16, 2012, 10:54:00 AM11/16/12
to 0xlab...@googlegroups.com, vishnu.t...@gmail.com
Hi,
Attached is the output of logcat when running the profiler-test applications.
Yes ,none of the 4 programs is generating any output.

Regards,
Vishnu
profiler-logcat.txt

vishnu Tadepalli

Nov 19, 2012, 11:20:10 AM11/19/12
to 0xlab...@googlegroups.com, vishnu.t...@gmail.com
Hi Kito,

I have tried putting debug messages in libaprof/libaprof_runtime.c as per your suggestion.
I did not see any messages added in the file libaprof_runtime.c .
Attached is the file which has the log messages after putting debug messages in libaprof_runtime.c

Regards,
Vishnu
profiler-logcat2.txt

vishnu Tadepalli

Nov 22, 2012, 8:20:57 PM11/22/12
to 0xlab...@googlegroups.com, vishnu.t...@gmail.com
Hi Kito,

Finally its working for me.

After applying the patches from your blog, I have applied the patch from the following URL:

https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/36455/

And it seems to work.

Thank you.

Regards,