FYI: early Ice Cream Sandwich release for Snowball

Jim Huang

Nov 24, 2011, 1:53:45 PM11/24/11
to 0xlab-devel
FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mika Yrjola <mika....@movial.com>
Date: 2011/11/24
Subject: An early Ice Cream Sandwich release now available
To: anno...@igloocommunity.org

For people that are interested to play with the cool combination of
Ice Cream Sandwich and Snowball, we have something to whet up your
appetite: a set of tarballs built by people at Linaro that can be used
for booting into ICS.

How to get it:
==========

- Install an up-to-date version of linaro-image-tools (Older versions
may be OK, but I've only personally tested this with the latest and
greatest) with

 bzr branch lp:linaro-image-tools

 Currently you also need to install the python-testtools package for
the linaro-image-tools to work. If not already installed, in case of
Ubuntu and Debian this can be done with:

 sudo aptitude install python-testtools

- Fetch the "boot.tar.bz2", "system.tar.bz2" and "userdata.tar.bz2"
images to your Linux system from

 http://igloocommunity.org/download/android/unofficial/ics/20111123/

- Insert the sd card into the reader and check e.g. with dmesg what
device node gets assigned to it

 Then create the image on the memory card:

 sudo linaro-image-tools/linaro-android-media-create --mmc /dev/<your
memory card device> --dev snowball_sd --system system.tar.bz2
--userdata userdata.tar.bz2 --boot boot.tar.bz2

- After the command finishes, insert the memory card on Snowball. To
boot from the memory card instead of eMMC, power the board up and
enter the u-boot prompt. Then enter the   following:

setenv loadbootscript fat load mmc 1:1 ${loadaddr} /boot.scr

To boot, enter:

run bootcmd

The first boot will take a very long time. I've also seen the kernel
to occasionally die on oops right in the start of the boot and a few
other fatal problems (not managing to initialize the sd card etc), so
it's a good idea to watch minicom output to be able to determine
whether something has failed fatally, or if the boot is just taking
its time. If something ugly happens, just try again.

For more instructions about booting from the memory card (including
how to make the changes persistent), please see:

http://www.igloocommunity.org/support/Android_Getting_started#Booting_from_microSD

Please note that this build has many limitations, starting from not
having HW acceleration for the graphics. So while it's cool and can be
used for playing with the ICS a bit, do not expect a mature and stable
environment :)

Some additional useful information may be found from the original build page at

https://android-build.linaro.org/builds/~linaro-android/staging-snowball/#build=84