Cool distributed computing project SETI:@Home

Ciarán McCool

Dec 13, 2015, 5:05:17 AM12/13/15
to 091labs...@googlegroups.com, 091labs-private
Hi all

I've gotten my computer up and running and during the day when I'm away I've started putting SETI@Home running in the background.

The basic idea is the SETI (and many other) programs take in so much data on a daily, monthly, yearly bases that they're overwhelmed when it come to crunching this data into useful information. So instead of spending their limited budget on more powerful and expensive computers they send out little packets of data that home computers can process and then receive the results to continue their studies.

Its pretty easy to sign up and the program to use it can be set to only run on quite times for your CPU/GPU or during certain hours etc so you aren't sacrificing performance during your uptime

Also I've set up an 091 Labs group so if anyone wants to join me we can pool our results and join the rankings of people doing this all over the world :)

Enjoy!

091Labs - Grunt