shared host deployment of my web2py site

Showing 1-7 of 7 messages
shared host deployment of my web2py site netcode 4/14/12 5:08 AM
Hello All,
i am trying to follow up on steps in this link: http://www.web2pyslices.com/slice/show/1401/web2py-on-shared-hosting-hostmonster-with-fastcgi but i think am lost now.

I have downloaded and extracted the python setup to the Home Directory but after that, it says this:

cd $HOME/Python-2.6.5 ./configure --prefix=$HOME make make install

and thats where am lost. i know 'cd $Home/python-2.6.5' means i should be in the python folder in my home directory but i dont
know what the next line of instruction says

If we can have these installation steps in plain english, i think most web2py users having the same difficulty would be satisfied

many thanks

Re: [web2py] shared host deployment of my web2py site backseat 4/14/12 5:44 AM
On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 05:08:01 -0700 (PDT), doncol...@gmail.com said:

> but i dont
> know what the next line of instruction says

It says run this command:

./configure --prefix=$HOME

...from the Python-2.6.5 directory under your home directory. The
'./configure' is the command that will be run (ie, the file
$HOME/Python-2.6.5/configure will be run), and the "--prefix=$HOME" is a
parameter to that command. In this case, it is telling 'configure' to
build the application as if it were going to be installed in $HOME (which
it will be).

The ./configure, make, make install is a pretty standard way of building
applications. If it still doesn't make sense to you, let me know exactly
what it is you are struggling with.
--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?

Re: [web2py] shared host deployment of my web2py site netcode 4/14/12 11:36 PM
So you mean I should just click the 'configure' file? And how do I add the parameters, are u saying I need to edit the file or once u click to run it, everything is going to go as expected. Another thing is this, I don't see anyway to run files in my Home directory. There are other options to a file like: download, extract and more. If am to do all these using commandlines, I still don't see a commandline interface to use and that's where am having troubles
Re: [web2py] shared host deployment of my web2py site backseat 4/15/12 2:06 PM
On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 07:36:19 +0100, doncol...@gmail.com said:

> So you mean I should just click the 'configure' file?

You need to do this from the command line.

> And how do I add
> the parameters, are u saying

It's "you", not "u".

You need a open a terminal window and type in the commands you quoted
originally.

--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?

Re: [web2py] shared host deployment of my web2py site netcode 4/16/12 12:33 AM
thanks keith, i understand the difference between 'you' and 'u', was just trying to be fast and i was surfing via my Blackberry smartphone not a PC so needed shortcuts. Thanks anyways, would check out for the command line prompt in my control panel.

Once again, many thanks
Re: [web2py] shared host deployment of my web2py site netcode 4/24/12 6:47 PM
I got SSH enabled on my account. Currently using putty but when i run this: "./configure --prefix=$HOME" i get the following error:

checking for --enable-universalsdk... no
checking for --with-universal-archs... 32-bit
checking MACHDEP... linux2
checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
checking machine type as reported by uname -m... i686
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

Any idea?
Re: [web2py] shared host deployment of my web2py site Johann Spies 4/25/12 12:15 AM
On 25 April 2012 03:47, netcode <doncol...@gmail.com> wrote:
I got SSH enabled on my account. Currently using putty but when i run this: "./configure --prefix=$HOME" i get the following error:

checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

Any idea?

Yes.  The process could not find a C compiler in $PATH.

If you are sure there is a C compiler on the computer, alter $PATH to include the location of the C compiler.

To see the content of the present $PATH  do 'echo $PATH'

Regards
Johann
--
Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)