Samuel Desborough

Showing 1-9 of 9 messages
Samuel Desborough AlexSt...@aol.com 4/7/06 1:06 PM
Will,
The new Oxford DNB states that Samuel married Dorothy, daughter of Henry
Whitfield of Ockley, Surrey. They had one daughter, Sarah, who died in March
1649. They had a son, James, who married Abigail Marsh of St Albans,
Hertfordshire on 9 March 1679. Samuel's first wife died of smallpox in  1654. In 1655 he
married Rose, widow of Samuel Penoyer, a merchant of  London.
Alex

Samuel Desborough AlexSt...@aol.com 4/7/06 1:15 PM
Will,
If you consult the website of British History Online you will  see an article
on Elsworth: Manors in the Victoria County History  of Cambridgeshire Vol. 9
in which Samuel Desborough and his family are mentioned  in connection with
the Elsworth property.
Alex

Re: Samuel Desborough wjhonson 4/7/06 1:22 PM
Thanks John and Alex, I've also found some old discussion in the archives.

Alex I think you mean not that Sarah died Mar 1649, but rather she was born
then.

The DNB entry for Samuel Desborough, which appears as a sub-article, within
and at the end of John Desborough, doesn't mention anything further on her.

But John Brandon seems to have shown convincingly that she married
Christopher Milles of Herne and had at least three children Christopher, Samuel and
James Miller all of whom are mention as "grandchildren" in the will of Samuel
Desborough.

And one of whom Samuel Milles is mentioned in the will of his
step-grandmother Rose (Hobson) Desborough as her "grandson".

Will Johnson

Samuel Desborough AlexSt...@aol.com 4/7/06 2:10 PM
Will,
The article does actually say Sarah died in Mar 1649, but, yes  you are
right, of course, she must have been born then when her father  was about thirty
after he married Dorothy earlier in the 1640s,  and she died in 1654. Thank you
for that. I must read the Oxford DNB  articles very carefully!
Alex

Re: Samuel Desborough wjhonson 4/7/06 2:19 PM
AlexSt...@aol.com writes:

<< The article does actually say Sarah died in Mar 1649,  >>

Alex either you are misreading it or there is a typographical error.
The old DNB says "By her, who died in 1654, he had a daughter Sarah, born in
March 1649 and a son James...."

"Her who died" referring to his wife Dorothy, not his daughter Sarah.

Will Johnson

Samuel Desborough AlexSt...@aol.com 4/7/06 2:31 PM
Will,
You are quoting from the old DNB. I am quoting from the new  Oxford DNB where
the wording is as follows in referring to Samuel and his wife  Dorothy who
died in 1654: "The couple had at least one daughter, Sarah, who died  in March
1649, and a son James who married Abigail Marsh...."
Alex

Re: Samuel Desborough wjhonson 4/7/06 2:55 PM
AlexSt...@aol.com writes:

<< "The couple had at least one daughter, Sarah, who died  in March
 1649, and a son James who married Abigail Marsh...." >>

Hillarious.  Evidently the copy-editor's eye skipped a line and shortened the
original sentence, changing it's intent entirely.

Samuel Desborough AlexSt...@aol.com 4/7/06 3:14 PM
Quite right, Will. I am glad we have reached a note of humorous agreement.  I
know it is late here in the UK but I knew I had read it carefully and
correctly! Perhaps we should write to the Editor.
Regards,
Alex

Re: Samuel Desborough wjhonson 4/7/06 3:37 PM
AlexSt...@aol.com writes:

Hey wasn't there someone collecting and posting corrections to the DNB?
Oh wait... that was me. Never mind.