[My Tracks] My Tracks is now open source

Showing 1-6 of 6 messages
[My Tracks] My Tracks is now open source Rodrigo Damazio 5/20/10 6:20 PM
Dear My Trackers and developers,

As many of you had already heard from me, we're releasing the full source code to My Tracks. It has now been posted entirely to the Google Project Hosting website:
What this means to regular users: it means that you can expect My Tracks to become better than ever with the contributions we hope it will receive from other developers, and also that many applications which work side-by-side with My Tracks will be written - for instance, one could easily build an application for tracking fitness activities, geocaching, aviation, and so on. It also means that bug tracking is now visible to everyone, so you can file bugs and feature requests directly in the "Issues" section of the above site, check if anyone else is having the same problems and see what we're currently working on.

What this means to enthusiasts: There are some other things that can be done with the source code which don't involve real coding, such as translation. If you'd like to translate My Tracks to your language, or fix a translation that you believe is incorrect, please let us know and we'll explain how to do it (it's really easy). We'll soon post wiki documents explaining the process, too.

What this means to enthusiast developers: This means you can now contribute code directly to My Tracks - to fix that annoying bug, improve some part of the app or add a new feature. We don't promise that all changes will become a part of My Tracks, and we have a code review process to keep the code consistent (again, see the wiki), but we'll try to be reasonable.

What this means to developers of third-party apps: it means you can be the one to develop the above applications, and you can even charge for them. For details on how to do this, please see the wiki documentation on the above site (as soon as we write it, which will be soon).

Those feeling adventurous can grab the code and try unreleased (and possibly buggy) versions of my tracks without waiting for our releases, and in fact we count on some power users doing so and filing or fixing bugs, which helps us improve the overall quality of the software before its released.

Finally, I would like to remind everyone that all development-related discussions will happen on the mytrac...@googlegroups.com list, so please don't post coding-related questions here.

Rodrigo Damazio
My Tracks team at Google

--
Check out the mytracks web site for frequently asked questions or to see new tracks
http://mytracks.appspot.com/

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/mytracks?hl=en
[My Tracks] Re: My Tracks is now open source John Sieber 5/20/10 8:59 PM
Great news! Thanks for all of the effort that has been put into My
Tracks so far.

On May 20, 7:20 pm, Rodrigo Damazio <rdama...@google.com> wrote:
> *Dear My Trackers and developers,*
>
> As many of you had already heard from me, we're releasing the full source
> code to My Tracks. It has now been posted entirely to the Google Project
> Hosting website:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mytracks/
>
> *What this means to regular users: *it means that you can expect My Tracks
> to become better than ever with the contributions we hope it will receive
> from other developers, and also that many applications which work
> side-by-side with My Tracks will be written - for instance, one could easily
> build an application for tracking fitness activities, geocaching, aviation,
> and so on. It also means that bug tracking is now visible to everyone, so
> you can file bugs and feature requests directly in the "Issues" section of
> the above site, check if anyone else is having the same problems and see
> what we're currently working on.
>
> *What this means to enthusiasts:* There are some other things that can be
> done with the source code which don't involve real coding, such as
> translation. If you'd like to translate My Tracks to your language, or fix a
> translation that you believe is incorrect, please let us know and we'll
> explain how to do it (it's really easy). We'll soon post wiki documents
> explaining the process, too.
>
> *What this means to enthusiast developers:* This means you can now
> contribute code directly to My Tracks - to fix that annoying bug, improve
> some part of the app or add a new feature. We don't promise that all changes
> will become a part of My Tracks, and we have a code review process to keep
> the code consistent (again, see the wiki), but we'll try to be reasonable.
>
> *What this means to developers of third-party apps:* it means you can be the
> one to develop the above applications, and you can even charge for them. For
> details on how to do this, please see the wiki documentation on the above
> site (as soon as we write it, which will be soon).
>
> Those feeling adventurous can grab the code and try unreleased (and possibly
> buggy) versions of my tracks without waiting for our releases, and in fact
> we count on some power users doing so and filing or fixing bugs, which helps
> us improve the overall quality of the software before its released.
>
> Finally, I would like to remind everyone that all development-related
> discussions will happen on the mytrac...@googlegroups.com list, so please
> don't post coding-related questions here.
>
> *Rodrigo Damazio
> My Tracks team at Google*
>
> --
> Check out the mytracks web site for frequently asked questions or to see new trackshttp://mytracks.appspot.com/
[My Tracks] Re: My Tracks is now open source Lock-N-Load 5/21/10 11:25 AM
awesome!!!! lets see MT get to be what it clearly has potential to be.
it is a gem, but needs some tweaks here and there to be a diamond

On May 20, 6:20 pm, Rodrigo Damazio <rdama...@google.com> wrote:
> *Dear My Trackers and developers,*
>
> As many of you had already heard from me, we're releasing the full source
> code to My Tracks. It has now been posted entirely to the Google Project
> Hosting website:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mytracks/
>
> *What this means to regular users: *it means that you can expect My Tracks
> to become better than ever with the contributions we hope it will receive
> from other developers, and also that many applications which work
> side-by-side with My Tracks will be written - for instance, one could easily
> build an application for tracking fitness activities, geocaching, aviation,
> and so on. It also means that bug tracking is now visible to everyone, so
> you can file bugs and feature requests directly in the "Issues" section of
> the above site, check if anyone else is having the same problems and see
> what we're currently working on.
>
> *What this means to enthusiasts:* There are some other things that can be
> done with the source code which don't involve real coding, such as
> translation. If you'd like to translate My Tracks to your language, or fix a
> translation that you believe is incorrect, please let us know and we'll
> explain how to do it (it's really easy). We'll soon post wiki documents
> explaining the process, too.
>
> *What this means to enthusiast developers:* This means you can now
> contribute code directly to My Tracks - to fix that annoying bug, improve
> some part of the app or add a new feature. We don't promise that all changes
> will become a part of My Tracks, and we have a code review process to keep
> the code consistent (again, see the wiki), but we'll try to be reasonable.
>
> *What this means to developers of third-party apps:* it means you can be the
> one to develop the above applications, and you can even charge for them. For
> details on how to do this, please see the wiki documentation on the above
> site (as soon as we write it, which will be soon).
>
> Those feeling adventurous can grab the code and try unreleased (and possibly
> buggy) versions of my tracks without waiting for our releases, and in fact
> we count on some power users doing so and filing or fixing bugs, which helps
> us improve the overall quality of the software before its released.
>
> Finally, I would like to remind everyone that all development-related
> discussions will happen on the mytrac...@googlegroups.com list, so please
> don't post coding-related questions here.
>
> *Rodrigo Damazio
> My Tracks team at Google*
>
> --
> Check out the mytracks web site for frequently asked questions or to see new trackshttp://mytracks.appspot.com/
Re: My Tracks is now open source Stefan Klumpp 5/27/10 2:22 AM
Great news. I'm a power user of MyTracks and would love to help
coding. However, at the moment I am very busy with my own Android &
iPhone projects and during the summer I'm not spending too much of my
free time in front of a computer, but most likely in fall I will be
there :-)

On May 21, 3:20 am, Rodrigo Damazio <rdama...@google.com> wrote:
> *Dear My Trackers and developers,*
>
> As many of you had already heard from me, we're releasing the full source
> code to My Tracks. It has now been posted entirely to the Google Project
> Hosting website:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mytracks/
>
> *What this means to regular users: *it means that you can expect My Tracks

> to become better than ever with the contributions we hope it will receive
> from other developers, and also that many applications which work
> side-by-side with My Tracks will be written - for instance, one could easily
> build an application for tracking fitness activities, geocaching, aviation,
> and so on. It also means that bug tracking is now visible to everyone, so
> you can file bugs and feature requests directly in the "Issues" section of
> the above site, check if anyone else is having the same problems and see
> what we're currently working on.
>
> *What this means to enthusiasts:* There are some other things that can be

> done with the source code which don't involve real coding, such as
> translation. If you'd like to translate My Tracks to your language, or fix a
> translation that you believe is incorrect, please let us know and we'll
> explain how to do it (it's really easy). We'll soon post wiki documents
> explaining the process, too.
>
> *What this means to enthusiast developers:* This means you can now

> contribute code directly to My Tracks - to fix that annoying bug, improve
> some part of the app or add a new feature. We don't promise that all changes
> will become a part of My Tracks, and we have a code review process to keep
> the code consistent (again, see the wiki), but we'll try to be reasonable.
>
> *What this means to developers of third-party apps:* it means you can be the

> one to develop the above applications, and you can even charge for them. For
> details on how to do this, please see the wiki documentation on the above
> site (as soon as we write it, which will be soon).
>
> Those feeling adventurous can grab the code and try unreleased (and possibly
> buggy) versions of my tracks without waiting for our releases, and in fact
> we count on some power users doing so and filing or fixing bugs, which helps
> us improve the overall quality of the software before its released.
>
> Finally, I would like to remind everyone that all development-related
> discussions will happen on the mytrac...@googlegroups.com list, so please
> don't post coding-related questions here.
>
> *Rodrigo Damazio
> My Tracks team at Google*
>
> --
> Check out the mytracks web site for frequently asked questions or to see new trackshttp://mytracks.appspot.com/

Re: [My Tracks] My Tracks is now open source runsaturday 5/27/10 11:37 AM
Excellent

Thanks to the MT team for getting this released

I've just cloned and downloaded the code - and it's now running in my local emulator.

Next step for me is to go and read the rest of the wiki!

Superb - let's see what we can all build :)

Thanks Rodrigo, Sandor and team!

Stuart
Re: My Tracks is now open source vitriolix 5/31/10 11:08 AM
This is great news!  I look forward to tearing open the source and
seeing if I can make any improvements.

-Josh