OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility

Showing 1-28 of 28 messages
OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility alan...@btinternet.com 6/2/14 3:36 PM


OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility

I know there are other versions of this Linux command
out there for OpenVMS as DCL scripts, etc.

I'd like to add a version which I have written for VAX
and Alpha which I have found to be quite useful (I don't
have access to an IA64 system).

The default display is "df -b" display 512-byte blocks
for example, on my small Alpha:

$ df
Device Name         Blocks        Used       Avail Capacity  Volume Label
ALPHA$DKB100:     71833096    15939784    55893312    22%    ALPHASYS
ALPHA$DKB200:     71833096    17662162    54170934    24%    DEVDISK1
$

and the "df -h" human readable output:

$ df -h  
Device Name         Size      Used     Avail Capacity  Volume Label
ALPHA$DKB100:     34.2GB     7.6GB    26.6GB    22%    ALPHASYS
ALPHA$DKB200:     34.2GB     8.4GB    25.8GB    24%    DEVDISK1
$

The human readable units are true multiples of 1024
but the output will never display more than 999 of
any unit. No rounding is performed as I have found
that in doing so can result in nonsensical results.

If you want a true picture use "df" of "df -b" to
display the 512-byte blocks.

I have not tested this on bound-volume sets or any
large raid-arrays, so I don't know what the results
will be.

This is free software for anyone to use commercial
or non-commercial.

The provided "df.vax_exe" and "df.axp.exe" executables
will run on any OpenVMS version.

These are available from:

https://github.com/alan-fay/openvms

The simplest way download is to "Download ZIP".

Install "df" as a foreign command. Copy the executable:

$ copy df.axp_exe sys$common:[sysexe]

and define the "df" symbol as:

$ df :== $sys$common:[sysexe]df.axp_exe

Alan Fay







Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility Stephen Hoffman 6/2/14 3:54 PM
On 2014-06-02 22:36:10 +0000, alan...@btinternet.com said:

> OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility
> ...(I don't have access to an IA64 system).

FWIW, Deathrow <http://deathrow.vistech.net> has an Itanium
<jack.vistech.net> running OpenVMS V8.4, and accounts there are free
for non-commercial use.
Log in as NEWUSER with the password NEWUSER, and follow the bouncing ball...



--
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility abrsvc 6/2/14 6:10 PM
If you can not get access to an I64 system, let me know.  I can either port it for you or get you access.

Dan
Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility John E. Malmberg 6/3/14 7:23 PM
On 6/2/2014 5:36 PM, alan...@btinternet.com wrote:
>
>
> OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility
>
> I know there are other versions of this Linux command
> out there for OpenVMS as DCL scripts, etc.
>
> I'd like to add a version which I have written for VAX
> and Alpha which I have found to be quite useful (I don't
> have access to an IA64 system).

GNU coreutils 8.21 has a df utility in it.

It handles VMS mount points which were added with VMS 8.3.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vms-ports/files/i640840/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vms-ports/files/axp0830/

I have not had time to complete the VAX port.

Regards,
-John
Personal Opinion Only

Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility John E. Malmberg 6/3/14 8:09 PM
On 6/3/2014 9:23 PM, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> On 6/2/2014 5:36 PM, alan...@btinternet.com wrote:
>>
>>
>> OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility
>>
>> I know there are other versions of this Linux command
>> out there for OpenVMS as DCL scripts, etc.
>>
>> I'd like to add a version which I have written for VAX
>> and Alpha which I have found to be quite useful (I don't
>> have access to an IA64 system).
>
> GNU coreutils 8.21 has a df utility in it.
>
> It handles VMS mount points which were added with VMS 8.3.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/vms-ports/files/i640840/
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/vms-ports/files/axp0830/

The VAX port for this and Bash 4.3.x need some work in that the vms
st_ino type is 24 bits and needs a macro for doing compares/copies if
you have time to join in on what is going on with the rebuilding of the
GNV project on sourceforge along with the vms-ports project.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnv/files/

Regards,
-John

Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility alan...@btinternet.com 6/4/14 2:14 PM
On Tuesday, 3 June 2014 02:10:44 UTC+1, abrsvc  wrote:
> If you can not get access to an I64 system, let me know.  I can either port it for you or get you access.
>
>
>
> Dan

Thank you Dan for the offer to use your IA64 system.

I've taken Stephen Hoffman's advice and applied for an
account on http://deathrow.vistech.net with a telnet to
jack.vistech.net but I haven't heard back yet.

So I logged into the "demo" account and it looks like
a great OpenVMS IA64 system!

I've created a "df.i64_exe" which I've only run on the
deathrow system. Here's what it looks like for just "df":

DEMO$ df
Device Name         Blocks        Used       Avail Capacity  Volume Label
$3$DQA0:          58633344    39269700    19363644    66%    GEIN_SYS
$3$DQB1:         234441648   111519873   122921775    47%    GEIN_DATA
$4$DKA0:          35565080    18535960    17029120    52%    JACK_SYS
$4$DKA100:        71132960    45323528    25809432    63%    JACK_USERS
$4$DKB200:       286749488   112191856   174557632    39%    JACK_ATTIC
$9$LDA1:           8380080     6192756     2187324    73%    LD_USR
$9$LDA2:           4110480     2495288     1615192    60%    LD_EXTRA
$9$LDA3:           8888924     6039407     2849517    67%    LD_FTP
$9$LDA4:           4110480      917643     3192837    22%    LD_USR_ODS5
DEMO$

and "df -h"

DEMO$ df -h
Device Name         Size      Used     Avail Capacity  Volume Label
$3$DQA0:          27.9GB    18.7GB     9.2GB    66%    GEIN_SYS
$3$DQB1:         111.7GB    53.1GB    58.6GB    47%    GEIN_DATA
$4$DKA0:          16.9GB     8.8GB     8.1GB    52%    JACK_SYS
$4$DKA100:        33.9GB    21.6GB    12.3GB    63%    JACK_USERS
$4$DKB200:       136.7GB    53.4GB    83.2GB    39%    JACK_ATTIC
$9$LDA1:           3.9GB     2.9GB     1.0GB    73%    LD_USR
$9$LDA2:           1.9GB     1.1GB   788.6MB    60%    LD_EXTRA
$9$LDA3:           4.2GB     2.8GB     1.3GB    67%    LD_FTP
$9$LDA4:           1.9GB   448.0MB     1.5GB    22%    LD_USR_ODS5
DEMO$

Both show the LDD container file devices.

I've added "df.i64_exe" to

https://github.com/alan-fay/openvms

"Download ZIP" to download the files.

Thank you Stephen Hoffman and "jack" for the kind use of your
OpenVMS IA64 system.

Alan Fay



Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility pcov...@gmail.com 6/10/14 11:42 AM
I downloaded it and installed on my test IA64 and interesting what it does with members of a shadow set... see below...

$ df -h
Device Name         Size      Used     Avail Capacity  Volume Label
$1$DGA3000:       25.0GB    21.9GB     3.0GB    87%    VMS_TEST1
$1$DGA3110:       25.0GB    25.0GB        0B   100%    COMMON_TEST
$1$DGA3200:       25.0GB    25.0GB        0B   100%    CACHE_TEST
$1$DGA3301:      350.0GB   350.0GB        0B   100%    DB1_TEST
$1$DGA3302:      400.0GB   400.0GB        0B   100%    DB2_TEST
$1$DGA3303:      550.0GB   550.0GB        0B   100%    DB3_TEST
$1$DGA3304:      660.0GB   660.0GB        0B   100%    DB4_TEST
$1$DGA8110:       25.0GB    25.0GB        0B   100%    COMMON_TEST
DSA1110:          25.0GB    21.0GB     3.9GB    84%    COMMON_TEST
DSA1200:          25.0GB     4.9GB    20.0GB    19%    CACHE_TEST
DSA1301:         350.0GB   329.4GB    20.5GB    94%    DB1_TEST
DSA1302:         400.0GB   357.2GB    42.7GB    89%    DB2_TEST
DSA1303:         550.0GB   521.2GB    28.7GB    94%    DB3_TEST
DSA1304:         660.0GB   632.8GB    27.1GB    95%    DB4_TEST
Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility abrsvc 6/10/14 11:47 AM
While not hte best display in regards to the shadowsets, the display is correct.  There are no blocks available at the physical device level.  From that perspective, the volumes are 100% utilized...

Dan
Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility vax...@sendspamhere.org 6/10/14 1:21 PM
In article <7a26e453-eb0a-4b71-b71d-6bebf3a2e658@googlegroups.com>, "pcov...@gmail.com" <pcov...@gmail.com> writes:
>I downloaded it and installed on my test IA64 and interesting what it does with members of a shadow set... see below...
>
>$ df -h
>Device Name         Size      Used     Avail Capacity  Volume Label
>$1$DGA3000:       25.0GB    21.9GB     3.0GB    87%    VMS_TEST1
>$1$DGA3110:       25.0GB    25.0GB        0B   100%    COMMON_TEST
>$1$DGA3200:       25.0GB    25.0GB        0B   100%    CACHE_TEST
>$1$DGA3301:      350.0GB   350.0GB        0B   100%    DB1_TEST
>$1$DGA3302:      400.0GB   400.0GB        0B   100%    DB2_TEST
>$1$DGA3303:      550.0GB   550.0GB        0B   100%    DB3_TEST
>$1$DGA3304:      660.0GB   660.0GB        0B   100%    DB4_TEST
>$1$DGA8110:       25.0GB    25.0GB        0B   100%    COMMON_TEST
>DSA1110:          25.0GB    21.0GB     3.9GB    84%    COMMON_TEST
>DSA1200:          25.0GB     4.9GB    20.0GB    19%    CACHE_TEST
>DSA1301:         350.0GB   329.4GB    20.5GB    94%    DB1_TEST
>DSA1302:         400.0GB   357.2GB    42.7GB    89%    DB2_TEST
>DSA1303:         550.0GB   521.2GB    28.7GB    94%    DB3_TEST
>DSA1304:         660.0GB   632.8GB    27.1GB    95%    DB4_TEST

See $GETDVI => DVI$_SHDW_MEMBER

Don't report on shadow members; it only clutters the field.
 
FWIW, I use a DCL procedure that I heavily modified (original author posted
the procedure in the Linked-In VMS forum) which shows, via a bar-graph, the
disk usage on my systems.

http://tmesis.net/DCL/DISK_BLOCKS.COM

It has also been my "goto" procedure for development and testing of my DCL
debugger because of the bar-graph.
--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG

I speak to machines with the voice of humanity.
Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility MG 6/11/14 3:26 AM
On 10-jun-2014 22:21, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
> FWIW, I use a DCL procedure that I heavily modified (original author
> posted the procedure in the Linked-In VMS forum) which shows, via a
> bar-graph, the disk usage on my systems.

It's a pretty nice procedure, but I didn't know that it originally
came from LinkedIn...

  - MG

Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility vax...@sendspamhere.org 6/11/14 9:35 AM
It might have been posted elsewhere but the original author made mention of
it on a Linked-In VMS forum which is when and where I got ahold of it.

I ripped out much of the format computation and used F$fao.  I don't under-
stand why so many avoid F$fao when it can -- and far more easily -- format
output in DCL procedures.

FYI, try "$ SET VERIFY" with that and see how much fun it would be to debug
it. ;)  
Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility alan...@btinternet.com 6/12/14 1:52 PM
On Tuesday, 10 June 2014 19:42:31 UTC+1, pcov...@gmail.com  wrote:
> I downloaded it and installed on my test IA64 and interesting what it does with members of a shadow set... see below...
>
>
>
> $ df -h
>
> Device Name         Size      Used     Avail Capacity  Volume Label
> $1$DGA3000:       25.0GB    21.9GB     3.0GB    87%    VMS_TEST1
> $1$DGA3110:       25.0GB    25.0GB        0B   100%    COMMON_TEST
> $1$DGA3200:       25.0GB    25.0GB        0B   100%    CACHE_TEST
> $1$DGA3301:      350.0GB   350.0GB        0B   100%    DB1_TEST
> $1$DGA3302:      400.0GB   400.0GB        0B   100%    DB2_TEST
> $1$DGA3303:      550.0GB   550.0GB        0B   100%    DB3_TEST
> $1$DGA3304:      660.0GB   660.0GB        0B   100%    DB4_TEST
> $1$DGA8110:       25.0GB    25.0GB        0B   100%    COMMON_TEST
> DSA1110:          25.0GB    21.0GB     3.9GB    84%    COMMON_TEST
> DSA1200:          25.0GB     4.9GB    20.0GB    19%    CACHE_TEST
> DSA1301:         350.0GB   329.4GB    20.5GB    94%    DB1_TEST
> DSA1302:         400.0GB   357.2GB    42.7GB    89%    DB2_TEST
> DSA1303:         550.0GB   521.2GB    28.7GB    94%    DB3_TEST
> DSA1304:         660.0GB   632.8GB    27.1GB    95%    DB4_TEST
>
>

Thank you very much for your feedback.

As Dan has already said, "not the best display of shadow sets".
The easiest way to "fix" this would be to totally ignore the
physical devices of a shadow set virtual unit. But I don't think
that would be right - the physical devices of a shadow set are
useful to know (their names and how many are associated with a
virtual unit?).

The above "df -h" display from "pcov" is much more than I could
hope to test with. With my limited testing ability I have made
a change to the "df" display. The physical device names of a
shadow set will now display it's virtual unit member name.

These changes are now available from:

https://github.com/alan-fay/openvms

"Download ZIP" to download the files.

If "pcov" or anyone else with a shadow set system could provide
some feedback "good or bad" I would be grateful.

Alan Fay


Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility vax...@sendspamhere.org 6/12/14 2:49 PM
$ SHOW SHADOW DSAn:


>The above "df -h" display from "pcov" is much more than I could
>hope to test with. With my limited testing ability I have made
>a change to the "df" display. The physical device names of a
>shadow set will now display it's virtual unit member name.
>
>These changes are now available from:
>
>https://github.com/alan-fay/openvms
>
>"Download ZIP" to download the files.
>
>If "pcov" or anyone else with a shadow set system could provide
>some feedback "good or bad" I would be grateful.

Device Name         Blocks        Used       Avail Capacity  Volume Label
$1$DKA0:           8380080     2465440     5914640    29%    OpenVMS Dump
$1$DKA100:       142264000   142264000           0   100%    (member of DSA0:)
$1$DKA200:       142264000   142264000           0   100%    (member of DSA0:)
$1$DKA300:        71132000    71132000           0   100%    (member of DSA1:)
$1$DKA400:        71132000    71132000           0   100%    (member of DSA1:)
$1$DKA500:        35565080    35565080           0   100%    (member of DSA2:)
$1$DKA600:        35565080    35565080           0   100%    (member of DSA2:)
$1$DKA900:        71132960    18805840    52327120    26%    OpenVMS Srcs
DSA0:            142264000    72126448    70137552    50%    OpenVMSAXP84
DSA1:             71132000    52526978    18605022    73%    Shadow_Set_1
DSA2:             35565080    30596312     4968768    86%    Shadow_Set_2



I'd prefer to see the shadow set members groups with their virtual unit
such as this:

Device Name         Blocks        Used       Avail Capacity  Volume Label
$1$DKA0:           8380080     2465440     5914640    29%    OpenVMS Dump
$1$DKA900:        71132960    18805840    52327120    26%    OpenVMS Srcs
DSA0:            142264000    72126448    70137552    50%    OpenVMSAXP84
$1$DKA100:       142264000   142264000           0   100%    (member of DSA0:)
$1$DKA200:       142264000   142264000           0   100%    (member of DSA0:)
DSA1:             71132000    52526978    18605022    73%    Shadow_Set_1
$1$DKA300:        71132000    71132000           0   100%    (member of DSA1:)
$1$DKA400:        71132000    71132000           0   100%    (member of DSA1:)
DSA2:             35565080    30596312     4968768    86%    Shadow_Set_2
$1$DKA500:        35565080    35565080           0   100%    (member of DSA2:)
$1$DKA600:        35565080    35565080           0   100%    (member of DSA2:)
Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility John E. Malmberg 6/12/14 7:49 PM
For the actual DF utility:

The first column is the source of the volume.  On VMS, I do not know a
way to look at NFS source path as all I can tell is that it is an NFS
container.  The 6th field is either the mounted device, or the path to
where the filesystem is mounted.

If the tool is not going to fully emulate the output of the Unix
utility, it may be a good idea to give it a different name to prevent
confusion.

LION> df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
_LION$DKA0:     8.5G  6.4G  2.1G  76% /LION$DKA0
_LION$DKA100:   8.5G  1.4G  7.1G  17% /LION$DKA100
_LION$DNA0:     932G   13G  920G   2% /LION$DNA0
_DNFS1:         919G  116G  803G  13% /DNFS1
_LION$LDA1:     651M  533M  118M  82% /LION$LDA1

For an LDA device, an enhancement would be to have the container file
under the Filesystem column.

In this case lda1 actually resides on _DNFS1:.  An interesting way to
get ODS-2/5 volumes hosted on a NFS volume.

VMS 8.3 introduced mount points where you can mount other volumes.
The VMS specific source for looking them up is in the GNV Coreutils
mercurial repository.

When this is done, the actual df utility is useful in showing you in one
place where all the mount points are.

(Output edited to fit 72 columns)
$ df :== $gnv$gnu:[bin]gnv$df.exe
$ df -h
Filesystem                             Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]usr.DIR      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /usr
DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]man.dir      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /man
DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]lib.DIR      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /lib
DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]include.dir  1.2G  429M  789M  36% /include
DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]etc.dir      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /etc
DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]bin.DIR      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /bin
_EISNER$DRA6:                         20G  3.4G   17G  17% /EISNER$DRA6
_EISNER$DKA0:                        115G   74G   41G  65% /EISNER$DKA0
_EISNER$MDA0:                         20M  771K   19M   4% /EISNER$MDA0
_EISNER$LDA1:                        1.2G  429M  789M  36% /EISNER$LDA1
_EISNER$LDA2:                        8.5G  4.4G  4.1G  52% /EISNER$LDA2

$ df --version
df (GNU coreutils) 8.21
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by Torbjorn Granlund, David MacKenzie, and Paul Eggert.

Regards,
-John
Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility hb 6/13/14 7:14 AM
On 06/13/2014 04:49 AM, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> For the actual DF utility:
>
> For an LDA device, an enhancement would be to have the container file
> under the Filesystem column.

which looks like an extension to me (if I compare LDA devices with loop
devices on Linux):
# df
Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop1       4015112  4015112         0 100% /mnt-system

> VMS 8.3 introduced mount points where you can mount other volumes.
> The VMS specific source for looking them up is in the GNV Coreutils
> mercurial repository.

Maybe mount points weren't widely used or documented before 8.3, but
they were already in the COE release.

> When this is done, the actual df utility is useful in showing you in one
> place where all the mount points are.
>
> (Output edited to fit 72 columns)
> $ df :== $gnv$gnu:[bin]gnv$df.exe
> $ df -h
> Filesystem                             Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]usr.DIR      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /usr
> DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]man.dir      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /man
> DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]lib.DIR      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /lib
> DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]include.dir  1.2G  429M  789M  36% /include
> DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]etc.dir      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /etc
> DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]bin.DIR      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /bin
> _EISNER$DRA6:                         20G  3.4G   17G  17% /EISNER$DRA6
> _EISNER$DKA0:                        115G   74G   41G  65% /EISNER$DKA0
> _EISNER$MDA0:                         20M  771K   19M   4% /EISNER$MDA0
> _EISNER$LDA1:                        1.2G  429M  789M  36% /EISNER$LDA1
> _EISNER$LDA2:                        8.5G  4.4G  4.1G  52% /EISNER$LDA2

The shown GNV mount points are on LDA1, as one can guess from the Size
Used and Avail numbers. It would be nice to see an exact match in the
"Filesystem" names. And as with shadow sets, it would be better to show
that they share the disk space (as df is a utility to report file system
disk space usage).

On the other hand I would have expected to see an entry for the root as
well, which usually is a rooted-device logical name (sharing disk space
with another "Filesystem"). It's defined like "_EISNER$LDA1:[14,2,0.]".
Also, I would have expected such root directories as "Filesystem" for
the mount points, something like "_EISNER$LDA1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv.usr.]"
for "/usr".
Deathrow User Registrations - was: Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility Stephen Hoffman 6/13/14 2:24 PM
On 2014-06-04 21:14:17 +0000, alan...@btinternet.com said:

> I've taken Stephen Hoffman's advice and applied for an  account on
> http://deathrow.vistech.net with a telnet to jack.vistech.net but I
> haven't heard back yet.

Responses for the username registration requests are mailed immediately
— before you log out of the registration process — meaning that the
registration information was probably either spam-filtered somewhere,
or the target email address was mispelled.  Check your spam folder, if
you have one.  Alternatively, try a different email address, or with
different spam settings.
Re: Deathrow User Registrations - was: Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility alan...@btinternet.com 6/13/14 3:15 PM
On Friday, 13 June 2014 22:24:05 UTC+1, Stephen Hoffman  wrote:
> On 2014-06-04 21:14:17 +0000, alan...@btinternet.com said:
>
>
>
> I've taken Stephen Hoffman's advice and applied for an  account on
> http://deathrow.vistech.net with a telnet to jack.vistech.net but I
> haven't heard back yet.
>
>
>
> Responses for the username registration requests are mailed immediately
> -- before you log out of the registration process -- meaning that the
> registration information was probably either spam-filtered somewhere,
> or the target email address was mispelled.  Check your spam folder, if
> you have one.  Alternatively, try a different email address, or with
> different spam settings.
>
> --
>
> Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC

Stephen,

First of all I'd like to say thank you for the Deathrow
system, without it I would never had access to an OpenVMS
IA64 system.

Not sure if this should be public...  I logged into the system
with NEWUSER pass NEWUSER and requested a user name of ALAN
with my email address of alan...@btinternet.com (I live in
Hampshire, UK) and I never heard back. So I just tried again
but it says:

Email address unavailable, invalid or is already in use; please use another

I cant change my email address (its the only one I've got).

Not sure what to do next?

Alan Fay

Re: Deathrow User Registrations - was: Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility Stephen Hoffman 6/13/14 3:34 PM
On 2014-06-13 22:15:04 +0000, alan...@btinternet.com said:

> Email address unavailable, invalid or is already in use; please use another

That's because the registration system already has your existing registration.

> Not sure what to do next?

Check your spam folder, or whatever spam processing your provider uses.
 Deathrow's SMTP DNS setup is known to run afoul of spam filters.  
Unfortunately.

One of the cluster operators has overridden the process and manually
sent the registration information to the specified email address.

Alternatively, get a gmail or other non-ISP account.  (IIRC, BT was
using Yahoo for their hosting.  Donno if that's changed.)   If not and
otherwise, don't forget your login password, as the password reset
messages will probably disappear down the same SMTP black hole.)

To preempt the intended-to-be-helpful follow-up comments I've received
subsequent previous comments similar to the above: I'm quite familiar
with setting up DNS and SMTP servers, and know what the issue is with
the current setup that's triggering spam detection, and simply I do not
have the administrative access necessary to correct the DNS issue.  
Yes, I know who has that access.  Yes, I've let them know.
Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility John E. Malmberg 6/14/14 11:06 AM
On 6/13/2014 9:14 AM, hb wrote:
> On 06/13/2014 04:49 AM, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>> For the actual DF utility:
>>
>> For an LDA device, an enhancement would be to have the container file
>> under the Filesystem column.
>
> which looks like an extension to me (if I compare LDA devices with loop
> devices on Linux):
> # df
> Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/loop1       4015112  4015112         0 100% /mnt-system
>
>> VMS 8.3 introduced mount points where you can mount other volumes.
>> The VMS specific source for looking them up is in the GNV Coreutils
>> mercurial repository.
>
> Maybe mount points weren't widely used or documented before 8.3, but
> they were already in the COE release.

I was not sure if they were implemented the same.  I only know what was
used for VMS 8.3.

>> When this is done, the actual df utility is useful in showing you in one
>> place where all the mount points are.
>>
>> (Output edited to fit 72 columns)
>> $ df :== $gnv$gnu:[bin]gnv$df.exe
>> $ df -h
>> Filesystem                             Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]usr.DIR      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /usr
>> DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]man.dir      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /man
>> DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]lib.DIR      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /lib
>> DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]include.dir  1.2G  429M  789M  36% /include
>> DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]etc.dir      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /etc
>> DISK$ODS5_1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv]bin.DIR      1.2G  429M  789M  36% /bin
>> _EISNER$DRA6:                         20G  3.4G   17G  17% /EISNER$DRA6
>> _EISNER$DKA0:                        115G   74G   41G  65% /EISNER$DKA0
>> _EISNER$MDA0:                         20M  771K   19M   4% /EISNER$MDA0
>> _EISNER$LDA1:                        1.2G  429M  789M  36% /EISNER$LDA1
>> _EISNER$LDA2:                        8.5G  4.4G  4.1G  52% /EISNER$LDA2
>
> The shown GNV mount points are on LDA1, as one can guess from the Size
> Used and Avail numbers. It would be nice to see an exact match in the
> "Filesystem" names. And as with shadow sets, it would be better to show
> that they share the disk space (as df is a utility to report file system
> disk space usage).

As the filesystem field seems to be free-format, I just put what was in
the mount point.

I have not yet tried abusing the VMS mount point API to see if I can
mount a search list.  If that is allowed, then the calculation could get
more complex.

I just passed through the information that VMS stores for accessing the
mount point in the logical name table.

It does sound like a useful enhancement.

> On the other hand I would have expected to see an entry for the root as
> well, which usually is a rooted-device logical name (sharing disk space
> with another "Filesystem"). It's defined like "_EISNER$LDA1:[14,2,0.]".

I forgot to include "/".  Implementing it could be a bit tricky as it
means I have to lookup all the mount points and resolve them instead of
just iterating through them.  I do not remember if the internals of the
API I emulated to determine how complex it should be.

> Also, I would have expected such root directories as "Filesystem" for
> the mount points, something like "_EISNER$LDA1:[VMS$COMMON.gnv.usr.]"
> for "/usr".

Again, I just reported what I got for the mount point as is.

Regards,
-John

Re: Deathrow User Registrations - was: Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility Richard Maher 6/14/14 5:08 PM
On 6/14/2014 6:15 AM, alan...@btinternet.com wrote:

> First of all I'd like to say thank you for the Deathrow
> system, without it I would never had access to an OpenVMS
> IA64 system.
>

If I'm not mistaken you may wish to spare a thought for Hein

> Alan Fay
>

Re: Deathrow User Registrations - was: Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility Paul Sture 6/15/14 5:28 AM
I understand that Hein generously donated that IA64 system.

--
You can't look at a glass as half full or half empty if it's overflowing.
Re: Deathrow User Registrations - was: Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility MG 6/15/14 9:12 AM
On 15-jun-2014 14:28, Paul Sture wrote:
> On 2014-06-15, Richard Maher <maher_rj...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/14/2014 6:15 AM, alan...@btinternet.com wrote:
>>
>>> First of all I'd like to say thank you for the Deathrow
>>> system, without it I would never had access to an OpenVMS
>>> IA64 system.
>>>
>>
>> If I'm not mistaken you may wish to spare a thought for Hein
>
> I understand that Hein generously donated that IA64 system.

That's right and it took a long time before it was fully set up,
ready to be added into the cluster and to be accessed and used
by the 'public'.

Probably the best way for people to show their gratitude, is to
not merely let that rx2600 sit in a rack and heat up the place
idly and to actually /use/ it and make its energy consumption
and heat dissipation worthwhile.

  - MG

Re: Deathrow User Registrations - was: Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility Stephen Hoffman 6/15/14 10:41 AM
On 2014-06-15 12:28:13 +0000, Paul Sture said:

> I understand that Hein generously donated that IA64 system.

Correct.

HoffmanLabs LLC donated the AlphaServer.   Brian Schenkenberger donated
a memory upgrade for the AlphaServer, though that has not yet been
installed, AFAIK.

As part of the cluster rebuild and upgrade to OpenVMS V8.4, the
Deathrow cluster is now running on two different "new" servers.  
GEIN:: (the "new" AlphaServer DS10L) was added to JACK:: (the "new"
Integrity rx2600) within the cluster.  That's with new OpenVMS installs
on both servers, and it's now JACK:: where all the user data resides,
and from which the user data is served to GEIN::.

The "old" GEIN:: AlphaServer DS10L that was the primary (OpenVMS Alpha
V7.3-1) cluster host for a number of years was donated by Island
Computing.  That "old" AlphaServer was overheating and failing, and was
the cause of much of the Deathrow cluster instability.
Re: Deathrow User Registrations - was: Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility vax...@sendspamhere.org 6/15/14 11:15 AM
In article <lnklrd$7t7$1...@dont-email.me>, Stephen Hoffman <seaohveh@hoffmanlabs.invalid> writes:
>On 2014-06-15 12:28:13 +0000, Paul Sture said:
>
>> I understand that Hein generously donated that IA64 system.
>
>Correct.
>
>HoffmanLabs LLC donated the AlphaServer.   Brian Schenkenberger donated
>a memory upgrade for the AlphaServer, though that has not yet been
>installed, AFAIK.

I'm now wondering if that memory will ever find its way into GEIN::.
Re: Deathrow User Registrations - was: Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility Richard Maher 6/17/14 1:36 AM
On 6/16/2014 12:12 AM, MG wrote:
> Probably the best way for people to show their gratitude, is to
> not merely let that rx2600 sit in a rack and heat up the place
> idly and to actually /use/ it and make its energy consumption
> and heat dissipation worthwhile.

Sorry I can't help you. I was censored/banned/expelled from death row
years ago by some of the same thought police that destroyed Digital.

Besides, thanks again in large part to Hein, I have my own heater and
noise maker.
>
>   - MG
>

Re: Deathrow User Registrations - was: Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility MG 6/17/14 8:49 AM
On 17-jun-2014 10:36, Richard Maher wrote:
> On 6/16/2014 12:12 AM, MG wrote:
>> Probably the best way for people to show their gratitude, is to
>> not merely let that rx2600 sit in a rack and heat up the place
>> idly and to actually /use/ it and make its energy consumption
>> and heat dissipation worthwhile.
>
> Sorry I can't help you. I was censored/banned/expelled from death row
> years ago by some of the same thought police that destroyed Digital.

...Oh?

  - MG

Re: Deathrow User Registrations - was: Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility MG 6/21/14 2:56 AM
On 15-jun-2014 19:41, Stephen Hoffman wrote:
> HoffmanLabs LLC donated the AlphaServer.

Interesting, I had no idea that HoffmanLabs possessed AlphaServers.

  - MG

Re: Deathrow User Registrations - was: Re: OpenVMS df - Disk Free Utility George Cornelius 7/1/14 12:11 AM
You sure your account did not just time out?  Happens after a
few months of disuse, I believe, and seems to be easy to reactivate
afterwards.  Possibly sans files.

George

>
> Besides, thanks again in large part to Hein, I have my own heater and
> noise maker.

More topics »