comment on donations

Showing 1-29 of 29 messages
comment on donations Steve Marquess 4/11/14 8:09 AM
In a typical year the OpenSSL project receives about US$2000 in donations.

This week we have received roughly 200 donations totaling nearly
US$3000. Amounts have ranged between $0.02 and $300, and I notice that
some individuals have made multiple contributions.

For the larger donations and multiple contributors I like to send a
personal note in addition to the canned response message. I apologize
for not doing that this week due to the unusually large volume of E-mail
correspondence (donations and otherwise).

Please know that these contributions are greatly appreciated, as much
for the show of support as the monetary value. 100% of all donations
(minus the hefty PayPal fees) will go directly to OpenSSL team members.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.
1829 Mount Ephraim Road
Adamstown, MD  21710
USA
+1 877 673 6775 s/b
+1 301 874 2571 direct
marq...@opensslfoundation.com
marq...@openssl.com
gpg/pgp key: http://openssl.com/docs/0xCE69424E.asc
______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    openss...@openssl.org
Automated List Manager                           majo...@openssl.org

Re: comment on donations Ryan Hurst 4/11/14 8:23 AM
Steve,

Does the Foundation have a Bitcoin address?

Ryan
Re: comment on donations Lou Picciano 4/11/14 8:57 AM
Thanks, Steve,

… for your hard work, and that of the other Team Members. This week's 'excitement' illustrates how important it us to all of us.

(would be great to find a way around those 'hefty PayPal fees.)

Lou Picciano
Re: comment on donations Steve Marquess 4/11/14 10:23 AM
On 04/11/2014 11:57 AM, Lou Picciano wrote:
> Thanks, Steve,
>
> … for your hard work, and that of the other Team Members. This week's 'excitement' illustrates how important it us to all of us.
>
> (would be great to find a way around those 'hefty PayPal fees.)

I'm open to suggestions. Not only is PayPal a pain to deal with on the
receiving end, but there are restrictions on extracting funds and I've
learned that PayPal is not available in some countries.

Swift/IBAN electronic bank transfers as done in most of the world are
difficult here, with fees. I could set up a charge card
(Visa/Mastercard) merchant account, but the recurring fees for that
would eat up much of what is typically received in donations (and I
don't expect the current volume of donations to continue indefinitely).

I am looking into the suggestions for Bitcoin payments.
Re: comment on donations Ted Byers 4/11/14 11:20 AM
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Steve Marquess
<marq...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:
> On 04/11/2014 11:57 AM, Lou Picciano wrote:
>> Thanks, Steve,
>>
>> ... for your hard work, and that of the other Team Members. This week's 'excitement' illustrates how important it us to all of us.
>>
>> (would be great to find a way around those 'hefty PayPal fees.)
>
> I'm open to suggestions. Not only is PayPal a pain to deal with on the
> receiving end, but there are restrictions on extracting funds and I've
> learned that PayPal is not available in some countries.
>
> Swift/IBAN electronic bank transfers as done in most of the world are
> difficult here, with fees. I could set up a charge card
> (Visa/Mastercard) merchant account, but the recurring fees for that
> would eat up much of what is typically received in donations (and I
> don't expect the current volume of donations to continue indefinitely).
>
> I am looking into the suggestions for Bitcoin payments.
>
> -Steve M.
>

I am not familiar with Bitcoin, but work in the ecommerce industry
(particularly in the risk mitigation technology side of things at the
application and business logic level).  There is a huge variation in
the fees charged by processing banks, both between banks and, for any
given bank, the risk the bank perceives to be inherent either in the
vendor's industry or inherent in the vendor itself.  I have seen setup
fees as low as a few hundred US$, and higher than US$1,000.  There is
similar variation in monthly fees.  I can't recommend a processing
bank with low fees as I am normally working to provide support for
high risk merchants (so I normally see the higher end of the range of
fees).  And, per transaction fees can vary from a few pennies per
transaction up to $0.50 or $0.60 per transaction.  And on top of that,
they take a percentage of the volume (I have seen a range from less
than 5% to well over 10%).  With an annual volume of about US$2,000, I
could see the monthly fees alone taking 50% to 60% of your gross.
With such low volume, I wonder if it is worth it, over just asking
supporters to send a check or money order.

Have you checked out Google and Amazon's payment services?  I have
heard they exist, but haven't checked them out for cost (I may do so,
and soon, as the Canadian bank's support for ecommerce leaves
everything to be desired: try finding any documentation for their API,
or even if they have such an API, for any of the big 5 in Canada).

Cheers

Ted

Cheers

Ted

--
R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.
Re: comment on donations Ted Byers 4/11/14 11:46 AM
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Ted Byers <r.ted...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Have you checked out Google and Amazon's payment services?  I have
> heard they exist, but haven't checked them out for cost (I may do so,
> and soon, as the Canadian bank's support for ecommerce leaves
> everything to be desired: try finding any documentation for their API,
> or even if they have such an API, for any of the big 5 in Canada).
>
> Cheers
>
> Ted
>
> Cheers
>
> Ted
>
> --
> R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.

My curiosity being piqued, I took a look, and both Google and Amazon
have the same transaction fees as Paypal ($0.30 per transaction, and
2.9% of the volume), and, Amazon HAS NO SETUP, MONTHLY, CANCELLATION,
or FRAUD PROTECTION FEES.  That makes tham a bargain.

And guess what I just found.  ;-)  Amazon has special discounts for
icropayments and nonproft organizations.  I do not know if you're a
501(c)3 non-profit, but if you are, then your rate would be 2.2%,
along with the $0.30 per transaction.  Check it out on
https://payments.amazon.com/business/pricingPlan, and links on that
page.

But, if you can live with $0.30 per transaction, and 2.9% volume (or
2.2% if you're a 501(c)3 organization), then Amazon may be an
excellent alternative to Paypal.

I just learned, to my chagrin, that Google has shut down their
checkout service, and passed that business off to Braintree
(https:///www.braintreepayments.com/google-checkout?partner_source=google-checkout,
whose fees are 2.7% and $0.30 per transaction AND NO OTHER FEES.
Braintree may thus also be an excellent alternative to Paypal.

I know nothing of Braintree's reputation, but Amazon's reputation is
outstanding.
Re: comment on donations Justin Frappier 4/11/14 11:46 AM
remove

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Ted Byers <r.ted...@gmail.com> wrote:
Have you checked out Google and Amazon's payment services?  I have
heard they exist, but haven't checked them out for cost (I may do so,
and soon, as the Canadian bank's support for ecommerce leaves
everything to be desired: try finding any documentation for their API,
or even if they have such an API, for any of the big 5 in Canada).

Cheers

Ted

Cheers

Ted

--
R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.
______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    openss...@openssl.org
Automated List Manager                           majo...@openssl.org

Re: comment on donations Stacy Devino 4/11/14 12:43 PM

It is well deserved.

You must look at how much of the internet and our existing computing architecture relies on the good will of others. It is almost all of it.

Progress cannot happen without openness and honesty, which you all have shown in spades. Everyone everywhere has come together to quickly and efficiently address the issue. No blame, no outrage, just good will. Its one of the biggest items to bring the community together across backgrounds and understanding that information security has ever seen. Very encouraging indeed!

Also, just kind of a case in point when it comes to software development in general....nothing is perfect. As pretty much everyone knows who has ever worked in software or hardware development knows, bulletproof /iceproof / dustproof/waterproof/ etc. just does not exist.

Personally, I am so glad for you guys getting what is deserved and a pat on the back for doing the right thing. The value of open source has never been higher.

Stacy Wylie
stacydevino.com
Android and Mobile Design guru

On Apr 11, 2014 10:19 AM, "Steve Marquess" <marq...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:
In a typical year the OpenSSL project receives about US$2000 in donations.

This week we have received roughly 200 donations totaling nearly
US$3000. Amounts have ranged between $0.02 and $300, and I notice that
some individuals have made multiple contributions.

For the larger donations and multiple contributors I like to send a
personal note in addition to the canned response message. I apologize
for not doing that this week due to the unusually large volume of E-mail
correspondence (donations and otherwise).

Please know that these contributions are greatly appreciated, as much
for the show of support as the monetary value. 100% of all donations
(minus the hefty PayPal fees) will go directly to OpenSSL team members.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.
1829 Mount Ephraim Road
Adamstown, MD  21710
USA
+1 877 673 6775 s/b
+1 301 874 2571 direct
marq...@opensslfoundation.com
marq...@openssl.com
gpg/pgp key: http://openssl.com/docs/0xCE69424E.asc
______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    openss...@openssl.org
Automated List Manager                           majo...@openssl.org
Re: comment on donations manin...@gmail.com 4/11/14 1:41 PM
Gittip https://www.gittip.com/, has no fees, is funded by donations (via gittip) and is run in the open.

It's a great project (and an interesting experiment in openness).

p.s. it doesn't provide a service for one off donations, instead users set-up weekly payments of 0.25 USD to 25 USD.
Re: comment on donations raf...@withinwindows.com 4/11/14 1:49 PM


PayPal's non-profit pricing is 2.2% + $0.30 [1]. If configured incorrectly, it'll be a little more. But it doesn't matter. You're not moving enough money yearly to justify fee complaints or time wasted in looking for alternatives.

Suggest OpenSSL reps start picking up phones and calling up all the major affected players for a cash run.

[1] https://merchant.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=merchant/donations

Respectfully,
Rafael Rivera
Re: comment on donations Harlan Stenn 4/11/14 1:13 PM
Honoring Reply-to ...

Steve, please let me know what you learn.  I'm going thru similar things
with Network Time Foundation because of the recent DDoS issue involving
NTP.

Our donations "bump" after that issue was much smaller than yours, but
at least we got a few more donations :)

--
Harlan Stenn <st...@ntp.org>
http://networktimefoundation.org  - be a member!
Re: comment on donations Jeffrey Walton 4/11/14 1:54 PM
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Ted Byers <r.ted...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Steve Marquess
> <marq...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:
>> ...
>
> Have you checked out Google and Amazon's payment services?  I have
> heard they exist, but haven't checked them out for cost (I may do so,
> and soon, as the Canadian bank's support for ecommerce leaves
> everything to be desired: try finding any documentation for their API,
> or even if they have such an API, for any of the big 5 in Canada).
Google Wallet (I think that's what it was called) sucked from my past
experience. Failed authorizations gave ambiguous or incorrect reasons;
and once a transaction was corrected, there was no way to resubmit or
re-try the transaction.

There were a few times my transaction was blocked due to DLP. Once I
called the bank and cleared it, I had to submit a new transaction
because the previous could not be re-tried. Then, the new transaction
caused the past transaction to be re-tried, so I'd end up with two
orders. Then there was no way to contact a real person at Google to
fix it (only self-help crap).

Its been my experience that Amazon is better. I've gotten the books
and hardware I've purchased through them. But I never experienced
Google-like problems with Amazon, so I don't know Amazon reacts to
adverse events like stalled transactions (perhaps that speaks volumes
in itself).

Your mileage may vary.

Jeff
Re: comment on donations bi...@wepay.com 4/11/14 2:25 PM
hi all - i'm the CEO of a payment company called WePay, and we'd be happy to process your donations at cost.  if you'd like to take me up on the offer, my email is billatwepaydotcom

- Bill
Re: comment on donations aaron...@gmail.com 4/11/14 2:35 PM
My Midwest student organization raised more than OpenSSL did last year. Tell you what Steve Marquess, send me an email, get me in touch with the rest of the OpenSSL foundation and your friends and associates at major corporations. I'll try to find $200,000 in funding by the end of 2014 to directly support staff.

Aaron Friel
President-elect, UNI Freethinkers & Inquirers
fri...@uni.edu
Re: comment on donations aaron...@gmail.com 4/11/14 2:39 PM
P.S.: If you are an employee at a corporation that uses OpenSSL and you think your corporation would be willing to support a 501(c)(3) charity and directly support development of OpenSSL, email me.

Aaron Friel
fri...@uni.edu
Re: comment on donations isaiah...@gmail.com 4/11/14 2:44 PM
Heads up, Braintre is a division of Paypal. Hmmmm...so much for options!
Re: comment on donations Ted Byers 4/11/14 2:51 PM
Thanks Jeff,

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Jeffrey Walton <nolo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Ted Byers <r.ted...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Steve Marquess
>> <marq...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:
>>> ...
>>
>> Have you checked out Google and Amazon's payment services?  I have
>> heard they exist, but haven't checked them out for cost (I may do so,
>> and soon, as the Canadian bank's support for ecommerce leaves
>> everything to be desired: try finding any documentation for their API,
>> or even if they have such an API, for any of the big 5 in Canada).
> Google Wallet (I think that's what it was called) sucked from my past
> experience. Failed authorizations gave ambiguous or incorrect reasons;
> and once a transaction was corrected, there was no way to resubmit or
> re-try the transaction.
>> There were a few times my transaction was blocked due to DLP. Once I
> called the bank and cleared it, I had to submit a new transaction
> because the previous could not be re-tried. Then, the new transaction
> caused the past transaction to be re-tried, so I'd end up with two
> orders. Then there was no way to contact a real person at Google to
> fix it (only self-help crap).
>

This is good to know.  It is hardly the first transaction processing
service that lI have encountered that leaves something to be desired.
I wonder, now, if Braintree is better (at least they appear to have
real people that can be contacted).

> Its been my experience that Amazon is better. I've gotten the books
> and hardware I've purchased through them. But I never experienced
> Google-like problems with Amazon, so I don't know Amazon reacts to
> adverse events like stalled transactions (perhaps that speaks volumes
> in itself).
>
Yes, it does.  On the down side, though, as a vendor, the customers
from whom you can accept payment are limited to those who have Amazon
accounts (unless I misunderstood some of their documentation), but if
they have an easy means for your other customers to create Amazon
accounts, that may not be a significant gotcha.

One of the things I occasionally have to do is connect my systems to
processors we haven't dealt with before, and every one of them has an
issue or three that, shall we say, makes life interesting.  You
wouldn't believe the amount of extra code I have had to write to deal
properly with deficiencies in the processor's services.  :-(

> Your mileage may vary.
>
> Jeff
>

Thanks
comment on donations victo...@vtenterprise.com 4/11/14 3:15 PM
I setup a t-shirt campaign please share/participate: http://teespring.com/iheartbleedopenssl We need to reach 200 in a week for this to work.
Re: comment on donations rik...@gmail.com 4/11/14 3:38 PM
> I am looking into the suggestions for Bitcoin payments.

BitPay (one of the largest Bitcoin processors) offers free services for registered non-profit organizations:

https://bitpay.com/bitcoin-for-charities

Best,
Riku
Re: comment on donations Geoffrey Coram 4/11/14 3:50 PM
On 04/11/2014 14:46, Ted Byers <r.ted...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And guess what I just found.  ;-)  Amazon has special discounts for
> icropayments and nonproft organizations.  I do not know if you're a
> 501(c)3 non-profit, but if you are, then your rate would be 2.2%,
> along with the $0.30 per transaction.  Check it out on
> https://payments.amazon.com/business/pricingPlan, and links on that
> page.

PayPal also has a non-profit rate; our parent-teacher organization
qualified for it.  Same 2.2% + $0.30.
Re: comment on donations Ted Byers 4/11/14 4:07 PM
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Geoffrey Coram <gjc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/11/2014 14:46, Ted Byers <r.ted...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> And guess what I just found.  ;-)  Amazon has special discounts for
>> icropayments and nonproft organizations.  I do not know if you're a
>> 501(c)3 non-profit, but if you are, then your rate would be 2.2%,
>> along with the $0.30 per transaction.  Check it out on
>> https://payments.amazon.com/business/pricingPlan, and links on that
>> page.
>
> PayPal also has a non-profit rate; our parent-teacher organization
> qualified for it.  Same 2.2% + $0.30.
>
Interesting.

Are there setup or monthly fees for a vendor to worry about?  The
prices you mention are certainly competitive.

What is your experience with the quality of their service?  Are there
any gotchas to worry about?  What is it about their terms of service
that make them less than optimal?

Cheers

Ted


--
R.E.(Ted) Byers, Ph.D.,Ed.D.
Re: comment on donations Steve Marquess 4/11/14 4:15 PM
On 04/11/2014 06:50 PM, Geoffrey Coram wrote:
> On 04/11/2014 14:46, Ted Byers <r.ted...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> And guess what I just found.  ;-)  Amazon has special discounts for
>> icropayments and nonproft organizations.  I do not know if you're a
>> 501(c)3 non-profit, but if you are, then your rate would be 2.2%,
>> along with the $0.30 per transaction.  Check it out on
>> https://payments.amazon.com/business/pricingPlan, and links on that
>> page.
>
> PayPal also has a non-profit rate; our parent-teacher organization
> qualified for it.  Same 2.2% + $0.30.

The OpenSSl Software Foundation is *not* a 501(c)(3) corporation (aka
"non-profit"). That was on advice of our attorneys and accountants when
it was first created. Non-profit status is really only meaningful to
individual ("1040") taxpayers in the U.S. On the flip side maintaining a
501(c)(3) is more expensive in paperwork costs. With donations normally
only yielding a few thousand dollars annually (and much of that from
outside the U.S. at that) there was no net gain from a formal non-profit
status. As much as I like our attorneys and accountants we want funding
to support OpenSSL and not the legal and accounting professions.

If there was enough money at stake then I would run not walk to said
attorney and accountants and pay them to create/convert an appropriate
non-profit legal entity. I don't see that making financial sense though,
even with the recent boost in donations.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.
1829 Mount Ephraim Road
Adamstown, MD  21710
USA
+1 877 673 6775 s/b
+1 301 874 2571 direct
marq...@opensslfoundation.com
marq...@openssl.com
gpg/pgp key: http://openssl.com/docs/0xCE69424E.asc
Re: comment on donations Kyle Hamilton 4/11/14 8:46 PM
Is OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc. a tax-exempt organization?

-Kyle H

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Steve Marquess
<marq...@opensslfoundation.com> wrote:
> In a typical year the OpenSSL project receives about US$2000 in donations.
>
> This week we have received roughly 200 donations totaling nearly
> US$3000. Amounts have ranged between $0.02 and $300, and I notice that
> some individuals have made multiple contributions.
>
> For the larger donations and multiple contributors I like to send a
> personal note in addition to the canned response message. I apologize
> for not doing that this week due to the unusually large volume of E-mail
> correspondence (donations and otherwise).
>
> Please know that these contributions are greatly appreciated, as much
> for the show of support as the monetary value. 100% of all donations
> (minus the hefty PayPal fees) will go directly to OpenSSL team members.
>
Re: comment on donations san...@parekh.org 4/12/14 4:20 PM
I asked Stripe to do this processing for OpenSSL for free.  They are willing to oblige.  See this tweet:

https://twitter.com/thegdb/status/455114070883311616

If someone at OpenSSL can get in touch with Greg, I'm sure they'll set you up (I'm not affiliated with them - just trying to help by making the ask).

Sanjay
Re: comment on donations e...@rainydaymedia.net 4/12/14 4:20 PM
Stripe is a better alternative. Or something like Dwolla would be great too
Re: comment on donations san...@parekh.org 4/13/14 3:08 AM
Dwolla is just $0.25 for transactions above $10 and free below that.  Maybe do both - Dwolla (who may waive the cost too - I can ask the founder) and Stripe.  Might be time to do a fundraising campaign given the discussion around Heartbleed.  Even though it was a bummer, seize the awareness and fill up the coffers to make sure good work continues.

Sanjay
Re: comment on donations san...@parekh.org 4/13/14 3:15 AM
And honestly, if you're getting less than $50k a year (I think) there is actually less in terms of tax paperwork for a non-profit.  Plus then it's easier to get big corps to support the mission and donate.  Happy to discuss - I've got a non-profit and I'm sure I can line up some lawyers to do the work pro bono.  Reach me at @sanjay on Twitter or there is an email link at sanjayparekh.com .  I'm out of country until April 15th but happy to get involved and help.

Sanjay
Re: comment on donations Arne Ansper 4/13/14 5:18 AM


On Fri, 11 Apr 2014, Steve Marquess wrote:

> Swift/IBAN electronic bank transfers as done in most of the world are
> difficult here, with fees. I could set up a charge card
> (Visa/Mastercard) merchant account, but the recurring fees for that
> would eat up much of what is typically received in donations (and I
> don't expect the current volume of donations to continue indefinitely).

Take a look at TransferWise https://transferwise.com/

Arne
______________________________________________________________________
OpenSSL Project                                 http://www.openssl.org
User Support Mailing List                    openss...@openssl.org
Automated List Manager                           majo...@openssl.org

Re: comment on donations trunk...@gmail.com 5/30/14 1:47 AM
More topics »