4.2 and AOSP

Showing 21-43 of 50 messages
4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 9:29 AM
Good news everyone!

-The source code for 4.2 is being pushed to AOSP right now. Look for
it under the name "android-4.2_r1" once the replication completes. The
matching development branch (for CTS contributions) is jb-mr1-dev, and
all the changes are merged into the master branch where platform
contributions are accepted.

-Nexus 10 is now the best choice for AOSP work on 4.2. Everything
except the GPU code is Open Source, and the only proprietary binaries
besides the GPU libraries are firmware files that get loaded into the
various peripheral chips. No flagship device so far has been so open,
and no flagship device so far has had that level of AOSP support at
launch.

-Nexus 7 3G isn't supported. We haven't been able to license the GSM
stack for AOSP yet, and without the GSM stack this device doesn't do
more than a plain Nexus 7.

-If AOSP starts pointing toward Nexus 4, you are having a bad problem,
and you will not go to space today (i.e.: there is nothing in AOSP
related to Nexus 4).

-Factory images for the "takju" Galaxy Nexus as well as Nexus 7 (both
variants), Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 are available at
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

-Proprietary binaries to run AOSP on Galaxy Nexus (maguro, toro and
toroplus), Nexus 7 (grouper) and Nexus 10 (manta) are available at
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers

-There is no support for 4.2 on Nexus S and Xoom. Those devices should
continue using 4.1.2.

JBQ

PS: don't reply to this thread if you have specific questions. Start
new threads instead.

PPS: no ETAs for OTAs.

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jeremy Schulte 11/13/12 9:43 AM

Thank you sir!

Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 10:01 AM
I can't comment about the future of Nexus S and Xoom, sorry.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Artem Russakovskii <arch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is more of a clarification so I'm not going to start a new thread: am I
> reading this correctly that AOSP support is stopping for the XOOM and Nexus
> S, or they're not *currently* supported with this release but will be
> supported in the future?
>
> Thanks, JBQ.
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 10:04 AM
I will take care of the kernel sources as soon as everything clears up
on the platform side.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM, JF Dionne <jeanfra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi JBQ
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> I guess that as usual you will start a new thread when kernel updates will
> be released ?
>
> JF
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jet Shinoda 11/13/12 10:19 AM

thank you sir

I.C.F
Twitter/IG/SZ: @jetshinoda
Sent from Google devices

Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP morfic 11/13/12 10:29 AM

What was that about nexus 4 and aosp?
Nothing for nexus 4 in aosp?
Tell me I'm too sleepy to understand what it was you really meant to say.

Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 10:32 AM
To clarify: Nexus 4 is not supported in AOSP at the moment: no source
files, no binaries.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP ogdobber 11/13/12 10:43 AM

Who needs source when you can't even get one

Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 10:44 AM
I can't comment on the future of Nexus 4 in AOSP, sorry.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Lou <lou.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you please clarify what you said about the Nexus 4 and AOSP? Are you saying that Nexus 4 currently isn't in AOSP, or won't ever be in AOSP?
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 10:46 AM
I can't comment about 4.2 support for Nexus S or Xoom.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Andreas Lusth <exo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you elaborate on why there is no support for the Nexus S?
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 12:19 PM
Yakju images will be distributed through the usual location once the
yakju OTA is approved.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Patrick Rochon
<rochon....@gmail.com> wrote:
> what about the yakju image ?
>

> On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:44:30 PM UTC-5, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
>>
>> I can't comment on the future of Nexus 4 in AOSP, sorry.
>>
>> JBQ
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Lou <lou.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Can you please clarify what you said about the Nexus 4 and AOSP? Are you
>> > saying that Nexus 4 currently isn't in AOSP, or won't ever be in AOSP?
>> >
>> > --
>>

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
>> Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.
>>
>> Questions sent directly to me that have no reason for being private
>> will likely get ignored or forwarded to a public forum with no further
>> warning.

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Bill Gatliff 11/13/12 12:42 PM
Guys:

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Geofuzzy <goga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> at some point you have to retire a device with
> less then a GB of RAM.

I reject this justification, unless one truly needs 1GB of RAM to run
the later code.

We killed off the Nexus One earlier than necessary because of a
nonsense flash partitioning issue.  Let's not make that mistake again.
 While it is true that the GPU in that handset would have provided a
less-than-optimal experience, that's for the end user to conclude for
themselves.  Use the user's experience with the underperforming device
to help motivate the demand for new hardware, rather than simply
denying them the utility of their current handsets.

I'm a huge fan of Android and AOSP, and am exceedingly grateful to JBQ
and others for all the hard work that they do.  To toss their work
away because certain devices become technically inconvenient for
vendors to support is tragic, makes no engineering sense, and sends
the wrong message to the larger open source AND commercial development
communities.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
bg...@billgatliff.com

Thanks,
JBQ
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP shixi bsdl 11/13/12 7:53 PM
Hi JBQ,

Do you plan to push the git tag "android-sdk-adt_r21" (for ADT r21) to AOSP?

Thanks

Scott Fan

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Good news everyone!
>
> -The source code for 4.2 is being pushed to AOSP right now. Look for
> it under the name "android-4.2_r1" once the replication completes. The
> matching development branch (for CTS contributions) is jb-mr1-dev, and
> all the changes are merged into the master branch where platform
> contributions are accepted.
>
> -Nexus 10 is now the best choice for AOSP work on 4.2. Everything
> except the GPU code is Open Source, and the only proprietary binaries
> besides the GPU libraries are firmware files that get loaded into the
> various peripheral chips. No flagship device so far has been so open,
> and no flagship device so far has had that level of AOSP support at
> launch.
>
> -Nexus 7 3G isn't supported. We haven't been able to license the GSM
> stack for AOSP yet, and without the GSM stack this device doesn't do
> more than a plain Nexus 7.
>
> -If AOSP starts pointing toward Nexus 4, you are having a bad problem,
> and you will not go to space today (i.e.: there is nothing in AOSP
> related to Nexus 4).
>
> -Factory images for the "takju" Galaxy Nexus as well as Nexus 7 (both
> variants), Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 are available at
> https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
>
> -Proprietary binaries to run AOSP on Galaxy Nexus (maguro, toro and
> toroplus), Nexus 7 (grouper) and Nexus 10 (manta) are available at
> https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers
>
> -There is no support for 4.2 on Nexus S and Xoom. Those devices should
> continue using 4.1.2.
>
> JBQ
>
> PS: don't reply to this thread if you have specific questions. Start
> new threads instead.
>
> PPS: no ETAs for OTAs.
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 7:54 PM
I expect that I should be able to do that once everything clears up.
In the meantime, that should essentially be the tip of the tools_r21
branch.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 7:56 PM
It means that right now you can't build AOSP for either of those
devices in a way that results in a functional device. And that's all
it means.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:47 PM, Kevin <kevins...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So in a nut shell what does this mean for 4 and 7 3g? Seriously. I just purchased both. Should I take this as my confidence shaken and withdraw my orders?99
unk...@googlegroups.com 11/14/12 1:36 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Karim Yaghmour 11/14/12 2:17 AM

Very cool. Thanks for keeping this going, very much appreciated.

--
Karim Yaghmour
CEO - Opersys inc. / www.opersys.com

source build/envsetup.sh
lunch full_x86-eng
make
emulator&

JBQ

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Aziz Thraya <azi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Intel X86 not supported by the 4.2? no emulator no kernel source...
>
> thank you
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/20/12 9:24 AM
There's typically a small gap (hours or days) between the platform
source release and the kernel source release, with the platform
usually coming first (because it's much easier to automate). the
kernel sources have now been available for a little while.

JBq

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:45 AM, imnuts <imn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the platform source, and looking forward to the kernel source
> being pushed out soon too. :)
>
> Mark
>

> On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:04:34 PM UTC-5, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
>>
>> I will take care of the kernel sources as soon as everything clears up
>> on the platform side.
>>
>> JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/20/12 9:27 AM
Everything should be available at this point.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM, RC <rosa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would you post updates in the forum when the kernel source is ready?
>
> Thank you.
>
> -RC
>

> On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:04:34 AM UTC-8, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
>>
>> I will take care of the kernel sources as soon as everything clears up
>> on the platform side.
>>
>> JBQ
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM, JF Dionne <jeanfra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi JBQ
>> >
>> > Thanks for the update.
>> >
>> > I guess that as usual you will start a new thread when kernel updates
>> > will
>> > be released ?
>> >
>> > JF
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/20/12 12:44 PM
It's got issues. We've got source changes submitted in the kernel
repository, but the prebuilt kernel doesn't seem to work everywhere:
https://android-review.googlesource.com/46477

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM, RC <rosa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick turnaround, JBQ.
> I didn't see the original post mentioning Panda board, does the new code
> drop works with Panda board?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -RC
More topics »