4.2 and AOSP

Showing 1-50 of 50 messages
4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 9:29 AM
Good news everyone!

-The source code for 4.2 is being pushed to AOSP right now. Look for
it under the name "android-4.2_r1" once the replication completes. The
matching development branch (for CTS contributions) is jb-mr1-dev, and
all the changes are merged into the master branch where platform
contributions are accepted.

-Nexus 10 is now the best choice for AOSP work on 4.2. Everything
except the GPU code is Open Source, and the only proprietary binaries
besides the GPU libraries are firmware files that get loaded into the
various peripheral chips. No flagship device so far has been so open,
and no flagship device so far has had that level of AOSP support at
launch.

-Nexus 7 3G isn't supported. We haven't been able to license the GSM
stack for AOSP yet, and without the GSM stack this device doesn't do
more than a plain Nexus 7.

-If AOSP starts pointing toward Nexus 4, you are having a bad problem,
and you will not go to space today (i.e.: there is nothing in AOSP
related to Nexus 4).

-Factory images for the "takju" Galaxy Nexus as well as Nexus 7 (both
variants), Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 are available at
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

-Proprietary binaries to run AOSP on Galaxy Nexus (maguro, toro and
toroplus), Nexus 7 (grouper) and Nexus 10 (manta) are available at
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers

-There is no support for 4.2 on Nexus S and Xoom. Those devices should
continue using 4.1.2.

JBQ

PS: don't reply to this thread if you have specific questions. Start
new threads instead.

PPS: no ETAs for OTAs.

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jeremy Schulte 11/13/12 9:43 AM

Thank you sir!

Re: 4.2 and AOSP Artem Russakovskii 11/13/12 9:52 AM
This is more of a clarification so I'm not going to start a new thread: am I reading this correctly that AOSP support is stopping for the XOOM and Nexus S, or they're not *currently* supported with this release but will be supported in the future?

Thanks, JBQ.
4.2 and AOSP iceandfire 11/13/12 9:54 AM
How much should we wait before we can start merging?

Thanks JQ :)

unk...@googlegroups.com 11/13/12 9:55 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: 4.2 and AOSP JF Dionne 11/13/12 9:58 AM
Hi JBQ

Thanks for the update.

I guess that as usual you will start a new thread when kernel updates will be released ?

JF
Re: 4.2 and AOSP Mike Swanson 11/13/12 10:00 AM
Excellent. Thanks.

Can you tell us if anyone has addressed the bug regarding voice-to-text while connected to a Bluetooth device?

Well done, as always.
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 10:01 AM
I can't comment about the future of Nexus S and Xoom, sorry.

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 10:04 AM
I will take care of the kernel sources as soon as everything clears up
on the platform side.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jet Shinoda 11/13/12 10:19 AM

thank you sir

I.C.F
Twitter/IG/SZ: @jetshinoda
Sent from Google devices

Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP morfic 11/13/12 10:29 AM

What was that about nexus 4 and aosp?
Nothing for nexus 4 in aosp?
Tell me I'm too sleepy to understand what it was you really meant to say.

Re: 4.2 and AOSP Nick Hester 11/13/12 10:30 AM
SPACE!!! Wanna go to space with my Nexus 4.
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 10:32 AM
To clarify: Nexus 4 is not supported in AOSP at the moment: no source
files, no binaries.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Lou 11/13/12 10:34 AM
Can you please clarify what you said about the Nexus 4 and AOSP? Are you saying that Nexus 4 currently isn't in AOSP, or won't ever be in AOSP?
Re: 4.2 and AOSP Andreas Lusth 11/13/12 10:38 AM
Can you elaborate on why there is no support for the Nexus S?
Re: 4.2 and AOSP Alaeddine Ghribi 11/13/12 10:38 AM
Nexus S is not supported ?! Why ? No reason!!! You know Google engineers that Nexus S can perfectly handle 4.2 but you will not do it for commercial reasons! Shame!

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:29:31 PM UTC+1, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Kali Kot 11/13/12 10:42 AM
What makes the Nexus S and Xoom unspported in 4.2? They have enough muscle to run the updates dont they?
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP ogdobber 11/13/12 10:43 AM

Who needs source when you can't even get one

Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 10:44 AM
I can't comment on the future of Nexus 4 in AOSP, sorry.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Lou <lou.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you please clarify what you said about the Nexus 4 and AOSP? Are you saying that Nexus 4 currently isn't in AOSP, or won't ever be in AOSP?

Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 10:46 AM
I can't comment about 4.2 support for Nexus S or Xoom.

JBQ

Re: 4.2 and AOSP Justin Olsson 11/13/12 10:55 AM
Nice XKCD reference (http://www.xkcd.com/1133/) :)

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:29:31 AM UTC-8, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
Re: 4.2 and AOSP Geofuzzy 11/13/12 11:11 AM
Belittling the AOSP guys in a public post isn't going to get you what you want...4.2 will easily be supported by the Xoom and the Nexus S just not officially, and not in AOSP, at some point you have to retire a device with less then a GB of RAM.
Re: 4.2 and AOSP Alin Baciu 11/13/12 11:12 AM
I hope there will eventually be support for the Nexus S. Most of the new features, except photoshpere don't require any extra hardware juice, so I don't see why it shouldn't get at least the new UI features.
Re: 4.2 and AOSP Patrick Rochon 11/13/12 12:09 PM
what about yakju ?

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:29:31 PM UTC-5, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Patrick Rochon 11/13/12 12:14 PM
what about the yakju image ?
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 12:19 PM
Yakju images will be distributed through the usual location once the
yakju OTA is approved.

JBQ
Re: 4.2 and AOSP Constantine Moon 11/13/12 12:34 PM
it's sad that Nexus S isn't supported now, because it means that possibly Galaxy Nexus won't be supported in future :(

Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Bill Gatliff 11/13/12 12:42 PM
Guys:

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Geofuzzy <goga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> at some point you have to retire a device with
> less then a GB of RAM.

I reject this justification, unless one truly needs 1GB of RAM to run
the later code.

We killed off the Nexus One earlier than necessary because of a
nonsense flash partitioning issue.  Let's not make that mistake again.
 While it is true that the GPU in that handset would have provided a
less-than-optimal experience, that's for the end user to conclude for
themselves.  Use the user's experience with the underperforming device
to help motivate the demand for new hardware, rather than simply
denying them the utility of their current handsets.

I'm a huge fan of Android and AOSP, and am exceedingly grateful to JBQ
and others for all the hard work that they do.  To toss their work
away because certain devices become technically inconvenient for
vendors to support is tragic, makes no engineering sense, and sends
the wrong message to the larger open source AND commercial development
communities.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
bg...@billgatliff.com

Thanks,
JBQ

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Tom Beattie 11/13/12 3:34 PM
:-( I hope that changes soon.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Artem Russakovskii <arch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is more of a clarification so I'm not going to start a new thread: am I
> reading this correctly that AOSP support is stopping for the XOOM and Nexus
> S, or they're not *currently* supported with this release but will be
> supported in the future?
>
> Thanks, JBQ.
>

> On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:29:31 AM UTC-8, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
>>
>> Good news everyone!
>>
>> -The source code for 4.2 is being pushed to AOSP right now. Look for
>> it under the name "android-4.2_r1" once the replication completes. The
>> matching development branch (for CTS contributions) is jb-mr1-dev, and
>> all the changes are merged into the master branch where platform
>> contributions are accepted.
>>
>> -Nexus 10 is now the best choice for AOSP work on 4.2. Everything
>> except the GPU code is Open Source, and the only proprietary binaries
>> besides the GPU libraries are firmware files that get loaded into the
>> various peripheral chips. No flagship device so far has been so open,
>> and no flagship device so far has had that level of AOSP support at
>> launch.
>>
>> -Nexus 7 3G isn't supported. We haven't been able to license the GSM
>> stack for AOSP yet, and without the GSM stack this device doesn't do
>> more than a plain Nexus 7.
>>
>> -If AOSP starts pointing toward Nexus 4, you are having a bad problem,
>> and you will not go to space today (i.e.: there is nothing in AOSP
>> related to Nexus 4).
>>
>> -Factory images for the "takju" Galaxy Nexus as well as Nexus 7 (both
>> variants), Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 are available at
>> https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
>>
>> -Proprietary binaries to run AOSP on Galaxy Nexus (maguro, toro and
>> toroplus), Nexus 7 (grouper) and Nexus 10 (manta) are available at
>> https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers
>>
>> -There is no support for 4.2 on Nexus S and Xoom. Those devices should
>> continue using 4.1.2.
>>
>> JBQ
>>
>> PS: don't reply to this thread if you have specific questions. Start
>> new threads instead.
>>
>> PPS: no ETAs for OTAs.
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
>> Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.
>>
>> Questions sent directly to me that have no reason for being private
>> will likely get ignored or forwarded to a public forum with no further
>> warning.

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: 4.2 and AOSP John Hsing 11/13/12 6:15 PM
Thanks for your hard work~

在 2012年11月14日星期三UTC+8上午1时29分31秒,Jean-Baptiste Queru写道:
4.2 and AOSP Kevin 11/13/12 7:47 PM
So in a nut shell what does this mean for 4 and 7 3g? Seriously. I just purchased both. Should I take this as my confidence shaken and withdraw my orders?99
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP shixi bsdl 11/13/12 7:53 PM
Hi JBQ,

Do you plan to push the git tag "android-sdk-adt_r21" (for ADT r21) to AOSP?

Thanks

Scott Fan
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 7:54 PM
I expect that I should be able to do that once everything clears up.
In the meantime, that should essentially be the tip of the tools_r21
branch.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/13/12 7:56 PM
It means that right now you can't build AOSP for either of those
devices in a way that results in a functional device. And that's all
it means.

JBQ

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:47 PM, Kevin <kevins...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So in a nut shell what does this mean for 4 and 7 3g? Seriously. I just purchased both. Should I take this as my confidence shaken and withdraw my orders?99

Re: 4.2 and AOSP Apostolis Ntaoulis 11/13/12 10:54 PM
I hope there will eventually be support for the Nexus S.

Τη Τρίτη, 13 Νοεμβρίου 2012 7:29:31 μ.μ. UTC+2, ο χρήστης Jean-Baptiste Queru έγραψε:
--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Tadej Rudec 11/14/12 1:36 AM
People blaming NS performance are forgetting the mass of mid and low end Android devices which NS still over performs after 2 years + it’s still relevant as a developer device (NFC) It’s sad how Google somehow shifted the device focus from developer to a consumer thing.
The Nexus One point is moot, because it didn’t have enough storage left for the system partition. Nexus S has at this point with 4.1.2 installed, 200MB left on the /system partition. Galaxy Nexus 4.2 OTA was 74MB and even after patching it’s not that large, so the internal storage shouldn't be the case here.
I understand they don’t want to waste resources on a old device, (OTA, support etc), but it would be nice, even in AOSP spirit and developer fair sense, that Google would at least post binaries for 4.2 OR the system images for developers and knowledgeable people to get to 4.2, if it's just a revised JB.
Re: 4.2 and AOSP Neeraj Vohra 11/14/12 1:41 AM
Great job JBQ. Love the update. Nexus device rock!
Re: [android-building] 4.2 and AOSP Karim Yaghmour 11/14/12 2:17 AM

Very cool. Thanks for keeping this going, very much appreciated.

--
Karim Yaghmour
CEO - Opersys inc. / www.opersys.com

Mark

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:04:34 PM UTC-5, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
I will take care of the kernel sources as soon as everything clears up
on the platform side.

JBQ
--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
4.2 and AOSP Kevin 11/14/12 4:58 PM
Thanx JBQ, sorry if I was a little aggressive on my last post. I being still fairly new just wanted some clarification. Again thank you for your patience, guidance, and excellent work.
Re: 4.2 and AOSP RC 11/16/12 11:49 AM
w00t!!
--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: 4.2 and AOSP Aziz THRAYA 11/18/12 10:21 AM
Hi,

Intel X86 not supported by the 4.2? no emulator no kernel source...

thank you

Le mardi 13 novembre 2012 18:29:31 UTC+1, Jean-Baptiste Queru a écrit :
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/20/12 9:16 AM
This should work to build and run an x86 emulator:

source build/envsetup.sh
lunch full_x86-eng
make
emulator&

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP RC 11/20/12 9:24 AM

Would you post updates in the forum when the kernel source is ready?

Thank you.

-RC

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 9:58 AM, JF Dionne <jeanfra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi JBQ
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> I guess that as usual you will start a new thread when kernel updates will
> be released ?
>
> JF

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/20/12 9:24 AM
There's typically a small gap (hours or days) between the platform
source release and the kernel source release, with the platform
usually coming first (because it's much easier to automate). the
kernel sources have now been available for a little while.

JBq

Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/20/12 9:27 AM
Everything should be available at this point.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP RC 11/20/12 11:38 AM
Thanks for the quick turnaround, JBQ.
I didn't see the original post mentioning Panda board, does the new code drop works with Panda board?

Thanks!

-RC
Re: [android-building] Re: 4.2 and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/20/12 12:44 PM
It's got issues. We've got source changes submitted in the kernel
repository, but the prebuilt kernel doesn't seem to work everywhere:
https://android-review.googlesource.com/46477

JBQ
More topics »