Proposals for our April meetup

Showing 1-15 of 15 messages
Proposals for our April meetup Drew Neil 3/27/13 4:17 AM
I'm sorry that I couldn't make it along to the March meetup last night. It sounds like it went well!

I've been making enquiries about booking a larger venue for our April meetup. I've got a couple of leads, and I hope to pin something down shortly. Until then, I can say that our next meetup will either be on the 29th or 30th of April. Watch out for an announcement soon.

How about we pick a theme for our next meetup? Here are a couple of ideas that were suggested in previous discussions:

Navigating a codebase - topics could include fuzzy file matchers (cmd-T and ctrl-p), configuring the `path` setting and using the :find command, navigating between alternate files (using :A and :R), getting around with ctags, and anything else that you think would fit.

Organizing your workspace - topics could include buffers, windows, tabs, the arglist, sessions, and anything else that you think would fit.

Let us know if you'd like to present a talk on any of these topics, or if you have another idea for a theme.

Cheers,
Drew

Re: Proposals for our April meetup Drew Neil 3/27/13 10:44 AM
Our April meetup will take place at Forward, on the last Tuesday of the month. Here's the listing on meetup:

That's April 30th - put the date in your diary. I'll open up RSVPs in a couple of weeks, once the program has been decided.

Until then, I look forward to your proposals!

Cheers,
Drew
Re: Proposals for our April meetup Drew Neil 4/1/13 2:13 AM
Rails.vim has just gone 5.0, adding support for "projections". From the help:

> The bulk of rails.vim features support core Rails conventions and a just a
> handful of popular additions (such as RSpec).  Projections let you teach
> rails.vim about app specific and gem specific behavior.
https://github.com/tpope/vim-rails/blob/8e3415dcf553a6eb630f333b3d99374a5eaf9a57/doc/rails.txt#L738-L831

It's exciting stuff! Rails.vim has been customisable for a while, but the old syntax was less declarative:

Would anybody like to take up the challenge of swatting up on rails.vim projections and teaching us about it at the next Vim London meetup? It would fit nicely with one of our suggested themes: navigating a codebase.

Cheers,
Drew
Re: Proposals for our April meetup Drew Neil 4/1/13 2:14 AM
I meant to include a link in my last message for the rails.vim 5.0 release notes:
Re: Proposals for our April meetup Claudio Ortolina 4/3/13 6:33 AM
I'm going to take a look at them this WE, if no one else is taking care of this I can confirm eventually on monday :-)
Re: Proposals for our April meetup Drew Neil 4/3/13 8:29 AM

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Claudio Ortolina <cla...@new-bamboo.co.uk> wrote:
I'm going to take a look at them this WE, if no one else is taking care of this I can confirm eventually on monday :-)

Thanks Claudio - and good luck!

Re: Proposals for our April meetup Claudio Ortolina 4/5/13 1:51 AM
Spent already some time on it and I can surely prepare a "big gist" for a fairly complicated Rails project and walk people through it. Spoiler alert: projections are awesome.
Re: Proposals for our April meetup Drew Neil 4/5/13 2:06 AM
Claudio, how long will you need to do the topic justice? I'm looking forward to hearing you talk about rails projections.

Now that we've got one talk billed, I'm thinking we should shoot for the "Navigating a codebase" theme. Would anyone like to speak about any of the following topics?

* fuzzy file matchers (cmd-T and ctrl-p)
* configuring the `path` setting and using the :find command
* navigating between alternate files (using :A and :R)
* getting around with ctags

These are just a few ideas to get you started. If you come up with another topic that you think would fit then let us know!

Drew
Re: Proposals for our April meetup Claudio Ortolina 4/5/13 7:05 AM
I don't think it's a long talk, probably 20 mins is fine.
Re: Proposals for our April meetup Drew Neil 4/8/13 5:05 AM
Claudio - are you ready to confirm if you're able to speak about rails projections at our April meetup?

Does anybody else want to pick up one of the other topics? Or have you had any ideas of your own? Let's hear about it!

Drew
:x
Re: Proposals for our April meetup Claudio Ortolina 4/9/13 8:02 AM
I can confirm, sorry, I thought that was settled from the previous email :-)
Re: Proposals for our April meetup Drew Neil 4/9/13 10:18 AM

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Claudio Ortolina <cla...@new-bamboo.co.uk> wrote:
I can confirm, sorry, I thought that was settled from the previous email :-)

Now you mention it, that was pretty clear. Sorry for the noise! I've added your talk to the event listing:

Any other volunteers for speaking?

Drew

Re: Proposals for our April meetup Claudio Ortolina 4/12/13 12:57 AM
If no one's up I can expand:

- rails general navigation
- ctags setup and automation
- ctrlp and some tips about it
- extract/refactor

How does this sound?

Re: Proposals for our April meetup Drew Neil 4/12/13 1:10 AM
Thanks for the offer Claudio! I've had a couple of proposals off-list, so the program isn't as bare as it looks. Can I get back to you on that next week?

Re: Proposals for our April meetup Claudio Ortolina 4/12/13 4:01 AM
Np :-)