Nixie tachometer for my 1967 Ford Mustang

Showing 1-10 of 10 messages
Nixie tachometer for my 1967 Ford Mustang patric 3/14/12 12:00 PM
Hi folks,

like to share this with you: a tachometer built with Nixies. Still in prototype stage but some nice pictures and videos:

http://www.vinciworx.com/en/projekte/nixie-drehzahlmesser

Enjoy and leave a reply on my page!

cheers Patric
Re: [neonixie-l] Nixie tachometer for my 1967 Ford Mustang Michail 3/14/12 12:32 PM
Very nice.

I can't find the Order Form.  :)

Need it for the 66 Mustang  :)

PS.   The videos, when clicking on them from the page, show that they are "private" videos.  Can't watch them.

Michail
Re: [neonixie-l] Nixie tachometer for my 1967 Ford Mustang Pramanicin 3/14/12 12:34 PM
Excellent! I should put one in my '68.....

Nick

Re: [neonixie-l] Nixie tachometer for my 1967 Ford Mustang patric 3/14/12 12:53 PM
Try again, forgot to tick the public option.

On Wednesday, 14 March 2012 20:32:00 UTC+1, Michail wrote:
Very nice.

I can't find the Order Form.  :)

Need it for the 66 Mustang  :)

PS.   The videos, when clicking on them from the page, show that they are "private" videos.  Can't watch them.

Michail

like to share this with you: a tachometer built with Nixies. Still in prototype stage but some nice pictures and videos:

http://www.vinciworx.com/en/projekte/nixie-drehzahlmesser

Enjoy and leave a reply on my page!

cheers Patric
Re: Nixie tachometer for my 1967 Ford Mustang Nick 3/14/12 12:55 PM
Lovely work - small point - there are those here who have made nixie speedos etc. for motorbikes & cars (but not as nice as yours), but most had problems with vibration damaging the nixies and/or their connectors  - nixie is parallel to the road and puts pressure on the pins - over time, springs receptacles weaken, dry joints can occur and the nixie itself can become damaged (cathode mounts fail & cathodes/anode shorts).

It might well be worth fitting anti-vibration mounts internally to the unit...

Nick

Re: Nixie tachometer for my 1967 Ford Mustang Terry S 3/14/12 1:04 PM
Very nice. Why not pick up the data off the vehicle OBD connector?

Terry
Re: Nixie tachometer for my 1967 Ford Mustang Terry S 3/14/12 1:05 PM
Oh never mind .. '67 Mustang. No OBD connector.
> > cheers Patric- Hide quoted text -

Re: [neonixie-l] Nixie tachometer for my 1967 Ford Mustang Ryan McDonald 3/14/12 5:45 PM
You sir, ROCK.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/neonixie-l?hl=en-GB.

Re: [neonixie-l] Nixie tachometer for my 1967 Ford Mustang J Forbes 3/14/12 8:58 PM
This is a really neat thing. I've been wanting a Nixie display to use
in at least one of my old cars for a long time, but never got up the
ambition to make one. Recently I discovered the fun of connecting a
MegaSquirt EFI controller to an old car to use only for data
logging....of course it could be modified to drive a Nixie display, or
just borrow the input circuitry and programming to make whatever kind
of custom dashboard you want.

A single 4 digit display, with a large rotary switch to select which
parameter to display, might look appropriately old fashioned for a
1950s car.

Thanks for sharing!

Jim
Re: [neonixie-l] Nixie tachometer for my 1967 Ford Mustang Dennis 3/14/12 9:40 PM
Really great stuff Patric. The soft glow at night will be terrific.