An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP

Showing 1-69 of 69 messages
An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/14/12 12:35 PM
I'm going to try an experiment.

Over time, AOSP has added files related to various hardware targets.
We started with just a few scripts on a web page (1.0), then we had a
git project (Cupcake), then we released some of the exact source files
that were used on retail flagship devices (Froyo), then distributed
proprietary binaries (Gingerbread), then we were able to run on
PandaBoard (Ice Cream Sandwich).

For a new challenge, I'd like to try to go one step further, and to
target some hardware beyond the usual categories. I've added a git
project for the Sony LT26, i.e. Xperia S. This seems like a good
target: it's a powerful current GSM device, with an unlockable
bootloader, from a manufacturer that has always been very friendly to
AOSP.

That git project is currently empty. I'm open to suggestions about the
best way to populate it. I think I'll start by putting together a
skeleton set of makefiles, followed by a kernel. Contributions are
strongly encouraged, and there should be more freedom than usual to
submit experimental changes since that won't impact the devices that
Google is most directly involved in.

I don't know how far that'll go, and there are so many unknowns that
the only way to know is to try it.

As usual, please be very careful about handling any proprietary files,
for Xperia S or any other device. Don't copy them, use them, or
distribute them without an appropriate license. Obviously, don't
upload them to AOSP if you don't own them. When in doubt, please ask
ahead of time, it's easier to answer an email than to fix things in an
emergency.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Artem Russakovskii 8/14/12 12:43 PM
Fantastic. So what's the high level goal here, in layman's terms? Does the future hold direct support in AOSP for building more than just Nexus devices? Are you thinking of targeting only a certain subset of devices (say, ones that satisfy a list of parameters - GSM, unlockable bootloader, etc)? What about the lack of proprietary drivers (though even the Nexus phones have this problem, and they're supported by AOSP)?
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/14/12 1:11 PM
TL;DR: For a long while this'll probably only be useful for low-level
engineering, but won't be usable as a daily driver.

In theory, AOSP is designed such that it should be possible to plug in
the files related to additional hardware targets. In practice, that
has never happened.

The short-term goal is to investigate the difference between theory
and practice, on a favorable real-world example, and to see whether
the result is worth the effort. The long-term goal is to try to
eliminate whatever hurdles we find, both the expected and the
unexpected ones.

I expect that we'll need at least a few iterations before that can
become usable as a day-to-day phone, and it's unclear whether that'll
ever happen. There's a reasonable chance that it could be useful for
people working at a lower level, literally several layers below the UI
and applications that everyone is familiar with. If you've seen the
classic Android Architecture diagram, we're going to be in the kernel
and just above it.

I don't want to use the word "supported" because there's no way to
agree on a single unambiguous definition.

JBQ
Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Markus Guidry 8/15/12 12:53 AM
You could always fork the already working CyanogenMod repos for this device :P
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Andreas Makris 8/15/12 4:47 AM
Hey JBQ,

nice challenge you put up here :D
I am one of the guys maintaining Sony Devices on CM tree. So this device is very common to me. OFC it is a powerful device, but it has some tricky stuff in it.
For example the recovery is not this useable than a recovery on a Nexus device, so we trigger the recovery boot from boot.img and not from bootloader itself.
Some more special stuff is going on here, but all is possible to handle ;)

So start the skeleton, I am happy to help getting this up and running on AOSP.

Best Regards
Andreas aka. Bin4ry

Am Dienstag, 14. August 2012 22:11:45 UTC+2 schrieb Jean-Baptiste Queru:
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP JF Dionne 8/15/12 7:19 AM
Hi

What would be the main differences between the CM device target and the AOSP device target ?
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/15/12 8:18 AM
Hi Andreas,

I've submitted my skeleton, with the caveat that it's very bare.

Beware that there's no actual kernel (I've put an empty file in its
place). My next step is to get the real kernel sources in AOSP and to
build my own kernel.

I think the other urgent step is to get a proper BoardConfig.mk in
there. You probably have something suitable.

I'm not incredibly worried about recovery (yet). I guess I'm biased,
since I only work on devices with unlocked bootloaders, so I'm used to
relying solely on fastboot.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/15/12 8:22 AM
Well, assuming that we can get to the same level of hardware support
(which is challenging on the AOSP side), we'd obviously have a
slightly different feature set.

I expect that the biggest difference might be more on the philosophy:
while CM is more likely to focus on stability, being based on a stable
tagged release, my work in AOSP is more likely to aim for the bleeding
edge, by using the master branch.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Andreas Makris 8/15/12 9:58 AM
Very nice.
I will start some work when i arrive home today.
Well recovery is no real issue, i just wanted to point out one of the diffs ;)
First lets start now, problems will show up then and will be solved too.

Best Regards
Andreas

Am Mittwoch, 15. August 2012 17:18:23 UTC+2 schrieb Jean-Baptiste Queru:
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jerpelea Alin 8/15/12 12:36 PM
hy all
nice ideea but we will need some CAF code merged for msm8660 device
we will start pushing device tre in next days
br
Alin
Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Kenneth Crudup 8/15/12 3:20 PM
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:35:38 PM UTC-7, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:

I'm going to try an experiment.  ...

IMO, I think you should also start a Topic on the Xperia S board on XDA (if there is one) about this, too (unless it's otherwise prohibited); after all, to have JBQ involved over there would be like Word from On High, and there (can be :)) a high level of technical knowledge over there, and a potential pool of testers and contributors.
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Giulio Cervera 8/15/12 3:24 PM
For kernel the start point can be

which is based on Sony 6.1.A.0.452 (3.0.8) with kernel/common android-3.0 + caf/jb_chocolate merged in

Il giorno mercoledì 15 agosto 2012 17:18:23 UTC+2, Jean-Baptiste Queru ha scritto:
Beware that there's no actual kernel (I've put an empty file in its
place). My next step is to get the real kernel sources in AOSP and to
build my own kernel.

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/15/12 3:28 PM
Thanks for the information.

I'd love to hear pros and cons of using Sony's unmodified kernel vs CM's.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Andreas Makris 8/16/12 3:39 AM
Hey JBQ,

I submitted a patch which will enable bootimg building for Xperia S:

Also we are working out now what of our device tree can be reused on AOSP without too big patches (maybe prebuild some stuff).
We will push a devicetree to gerrit as soon as ready.

The Kernelpatches was needed to get it running in CM Jellybean, so Giulio merged them.
We will see what is needed to get it running in AOSP.

Regards

Am Donnerstag, 16. August 2012 00:28:33 UTC+2 schrieb Jean-Baptiste Queru:
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jerpelea Alin 8/16/12 6:01 AM
Hy JBQ
i have prepared localy device tree
i will push ASAP
thanks
Alin
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Giulio Cervera 8/15/12 4:31 PM
For what i guessed Sony source is based on Arpil/March CAF code for
ICS, and CAF code is based on October/November 2011 AOSP

Sony kernel can be considered more stable, but is not designed for JB

The big difference of CM JB branch is what CAF userspace code can be
used. Few example can be the video dec/enc or the vsync'ed composition
which require updated kernel.

2012/8/16 Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com>:
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP foolydooly 8/15/12 4:48 PM

CM is "cherry picked" from various sources including but not limited to improvements donated by community. Since I do not have Xperia S, I can't say what exactly, but as a CM nightly user, I can say it would be the right "bleeding edges" AOSP desperately needs.

For one thing, CM kernel would likely be more open to change then Sony's unmodified

Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Tom Gascoigne 8/18/12 10:16 PM
An interesting idea. Depending on the success of this project, is there any chance we might see more non-nexus devices being supported in AOSP in future? There are a number of people (myself included) who are maintaining AOSP builds for various devices, and I for one would love to contribute back to the project.

Tom
Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP ken sama 8/19/12 12:45 AM
Salut Jean-Baptiste,

Pourrais-tu concrètement me dire ce que ton projet peut amener pour l'utilisateur final que je suis?
Pouvons-nous nous attendre à voir une version AOSP pour LTi26 débarquer rapidement?

Merci d'avance.

Le mardi 14 août 2012 21:35:38 UTC+2, Jean-Baptiste Queru a écrit :Le mardi 14 août 2012 21:35:38 UTC+2, Jean-Baptiste Queru a écrit :Le mardi 14 août 2012 21:35:38 UTC+2, Jean-Baptiste Queru a écrit :Le mardi 14 août 2012 21:35:38 UTC+2, Jean-Baptiste Queru a écrit :
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP RS 8/19/12 1:00 AM
Short version:
JBQ, kudos. Coax manufacturers to release more driver sources.

Long version:
JBQ, incredible work with AOSP and Nexus already. Kudos.

Now about this experiment, don't we all know from past that the real trouble is manufacturers' support for drivers.
Whenever we move across a major kernel change, it becomes a nightmare to hack the old (binary) drivers in without the sources.

1) Utopia: encourage manufacturers to submit sources to such drivers on AOSP and let them use "Google f/w update guaranteed" tag through CTS as long as a fresh firmware compiled from AOSP passes CTS on their device.

2) Real-world: Coax them to release as much to AOSP but have an internal Google branch where they could share sources with Google just enough of it to help rebuild drivers on major kernel change.

Why hang on Sony's word today that they'll assign a couple of engineers to provide you updated drivers .... pulling the plug is just a non-tech dumb manager's whim away in a corporate. Google might be different but how do you see Sony, HTC, Moto-google-rola, LG, ... with dwindling android revenue to be reliable?

Convince Samsung, the only non-nexus success on android to open-source to the extent possible and others might follow suit.

If they submit bug-fixes well and good otherwise at least the old stuff will run on new android flavors.

Thanks,
RajS
Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Garry Bhattal 8/19/12 1:13 AM
Fantastic news. Wondering about and eagerly waiting for the outcome.
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/20/12 7:59 AM
The answer will depend on the success of the project :)

In all seriousness, we're made enough progress already to get us to
the point where we're facing the harder problems:
-making changes in the common Android tree that aren't actually
necessary for the devices that Google works on.
-handling the proprietary files.
-restoring the device to its factory state.

I see that as good news. That means that we've already taken care of a
number of smaller problems. Those also don't surprise me, from my
experience managing other devices in AOSP, and so far we haven't hit
any unforeseen hurdle.

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/20/12 8:29 AM
As far as end-users are concerned, the potential end result that could
be visible would be upgrades arriving very slightly earlier for Sony
devices, for two reasons:

-it could make the Android tree slightly more friendly to Sony devices
by merging changes that are specifically needed for those devices.

-by providing a concrete support for discussions, it could help Sony
engineers better organize their work to match the way Google engineers
work.

Now, that's entirely speculative, there's definitely now way to
quantify how big a difference this could make or when it would start
to be visible.

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/20/12 8:34 AM
To be extremely clear, I'm definitely not in the business of forcing
OEMs to release source code. This part of the discussion ends here.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/21/12 1:56 PM
Just so that I get the right kernel, which defconfig should I be using?

I'm going to guess fuji_nozomi_defconfig for now, but I'd like confirmation.

Thanks,
JBQ

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Giulio Cervera
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/21/12 2:10 PM
Maybe partially answering my own question. The build seems happier
with cyanogen_nozomi_defconfig

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Giulio Cervera 8/21/12 2:43 PM
correct, it's mostly stock sony defconfig whit jb changes from tuna_defconfig

just to make u aware, sony bootloader have some issue and sometime boot fail
we have guessed about certain boot.img size broke boot, change compression
or add a filler file to make the image smaller or bigger fix the issue

also boot partition is very big (20MB) and i would recommend to use
uncompressed
kernel image

G.

2012/8/21 Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com>:
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Ernst Sjöstrand 8/22/12 1:48 AM
In jellybean there's a new value called BOARD_RAMDISK_OFFSET in the device-git that the build-git uses
for mkbootimg, could that be the problem?

Regards
//Ernst Sjöstrand -- Sony Mobile

2012/8/21 Giulio Cervera <giulio....@gmail.com>

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Ernst Sjöstrand 8/22/12 1:46 AM
I guess this well timed announcement could come in handy then:
http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2012/08/20/sony-opens-up-the-dynamic-android-sensor-hal-dash-developers-can-contribute-open-source/

I'm not at all familiar with how it works unfortunately so I can't help much!

Regards
//Ernst Sjöstrand -- Sony Mobile

2012/8/21 Giulio Cervera <giulio....@gmail.com>
correct, it's mostly stock sony defconfig whit jb changes from tuna_defconfig

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Ruslan Strazhnyk 9/3/12 6:09 AM
So now Sony did their turn.
http://developer.sonymobile.com/2012/09/03/sony-release-binaries-to-support-jbqs-vanilla-android-xperia-s-project-download/

Середа, 22 серпня 2012 р. 11:46:00 UTC+3 користувач Ernst Sjöstrand написав:
Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP An Nguyen 9/3/12 11:59 AM
Hi everybody,
I am new to this group and probably not gonna be much help but I am really excited about this project. Just to let everybody know(and cheer with whom who already knew), Sony just release the Xperia S Binaries to help this project. They also mentioned in the post "Björn Andersson, who is one of our senior engineers, will take lead from our side to help review and contribute patches to this project."
You guys are awesome,
Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Akhil Pachaury 9/6/12 12:59 AM
Thanks for information, but i need help regarding binary installation, I download the binary zip file for sony site, how i have to unlock boot downloader. Kinldy tell me steps that considering to install those file so that i can install AOSP in my sony xperia S.
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 9/6/12 7:43 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=unlock+xperia+s+bootloader

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP insink71 9/9/12 5:49 PM
Wow.  Sony unlocking bootloaders and providing binaries.  This is worth me throwing some bucks their way... perhaps in a year I could be all geeked out with a smartwatch, google glass and the latest and greatest devices.. of course then someone will make an android belt buckle.  Anyways, this is pretty amazing.  Glad you thought up this experiment. :)

Rob
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jerpelea Alin 9/22/12 12:06 AM
fuji_nozomi_defconfig should be ok for now
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jerpelea Alin 9/22/12 12:09 AM
i have added wifi and bt firmware (expecting to be added in sony vendor soon) so those 2 are working localy

now next step in my opinionshould be audio
please fork https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/?p=platform/hardware/qcom/audio.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/jb_chocolate;hb=jb_chocolate

or should i add audio to lt26 folder?
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jerpelea Alin 9/22/12 11:16 PM
https://github.com/freexperia/sony-kernel-msm8660
new aosp kernel fork with aosp defconfig
wifi and bt works

On Monday, September 10, 2012 3:49:41 AM UTC+3, insink71 wrote:
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Marco K. 9/30/12 7:09 AM
Hi,

I'm new to this group and i want to ask when the AOSP for Xperia S is finished?
Because I'm really excited of the real Android-feeling on my phone :)

Marco
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Nessim 10/2/12 5:18 AM
Hi,
As said in previous posts, its only an experiment and there is no guaranty it will be "finished". Be the person that has started the project (JBQ) made clear there is hope for the achievement (please read the first posts).

No date or dead line is provided.

Regards
Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP m boss 10/7/12 10:37 AM
When the Xperia S will be updated to jelly beans
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Narasimhan V 10/8/12 5:58 AM
Hi JBQ,

As an Xperia S owner, I am just curious to know what stage this experiment has achieved.
And I would also be happy to know if there are any targetted dates for phones receiving updates.

Thanks
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP An Nguyen 10/8/12 11:51 AM
I think you can figure out the stage of the experiment by reading through the posts. The experiment seems to move slow and at this pace I am not sure if it ever come out as a complete product but I believe it can lay an awesome foundation for future direction. A ROM store developed by developer and managed by Google for faster update?
Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP An Nguyen 10/8/12 11:54 AM
I think your question is best answered by Sony Mobile. As mentioned in the main posts and many other. This is just an experiments and there is no guarantee or official confirmation from Google that will support directly update for Xperia S. I would hope that is the case though. But the direction it would lead to would be awesome
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP nandu sreeraj 10/22/12 5:25 PM
is this project still continuing......?
Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP jarno sempels 10/29/12 10:02 AM
So, does this mean that the Sony Xperia S will get the Android updates like Nexus devices ? And does this also include the Xperia SL wich will be released very soon ?

Op dinsdag 14 augustus 2012 21:35:38 UTC+2 schreef Jean-Baptiste Queru het volgende:
Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Geofuzzy 11/5/12 8:57 AM
As many people have said in this thread before, No. This is an experiment in AOSP, additionally AOSP and retail builds/updates are not linked directly.  The AOSP and the retail builds delivered to Nexus devices are quite different.
Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jim 11/8/12 1:06 AM

Hello,

I am new in this workgroup, and I am available to make some tests.

For the moment,
- I have retrieved the android-4.0.4_r2.1.
- I have copied kernel 6.1.A.0.452 files from Sony (kernel, vendor, external directories).
- I have copied device/sony/lt26 files from https://android.googlesource.com/device/sony/lt26.git
- I have copied SW_binaries_for_Xperia_S_v1 files into vendor directory

Now I would like to build the project, but I do not have so much experience in android build...
I ran build/envsetup.sh, and I can see that device/sony/lt26/vendorsetup.sh is included.
But when I run "lunch" and I select full_lt26-userdebug in the list, I have the following error message:

build/core/product_config.mk:193: *** _nic.PRODUCTS.[[device/sony/lt26/full_lt26.mk]]: "frameworks/native/build/phone-xhdpi-1024-dalvik-heap.mk" does not exist.  Stop.

** Don't have a product spec for: 'full_lt26'
** Do you have the right repo manifest?

Does anybody could tell me how I can solve the issue ? Does my overall method correct ?

Thanks a lot !

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/8/12 7:38 AM
You need to use the master branch.

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jim 11/8/12 7:58 AM
Thanks a lot jean-Baptiste.
Just to be sure, I guess you talk about the android master branch, i.e. I have to execute:
instead of
repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b android-4.0.4_r2.1

But how to know if the master branch is android ICS or JB or whatever ?

Jim

Le jeudi 8 novembre 2012 16:38:47 UTC+1, Jean-Baptiste Queru a écrit :
You need to use the master branch.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 11/8/12 8:07 AM
Your commands are correct.

You can also turn your 4.0.4 client into a master one, with "repo init
-b master" in that client (followed by repo sync, of course).

master is bleeding edge, so it's ahead of Jelly Bean.

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jim 11/8/12 9:26 AM
ok perfect.
So I have retrirved the master branch, and th elunch is now ok.

but the make fails :o(

 make -j8 VERBOSE=1

PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=AOSP
PLATFORM_VERSION=4.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9
TARGET_PRODUCT=full_lt26
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=userdebug
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT=armv7-a-neon
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_OS_EXTRA=Linux-2.6.35-30-generic-x86_64-with-Ubuntu-10.04-lucid
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=OPENMASTER
OUT_DIR=out
Checking build tools versions...
build/core/host_shared_library.mk:22: *** external/e2fsprogs/e2fsck: Can not set module stem for a library.  Stop.

Sorry to ask so many questions...I thank you very much for your support.

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Magnus Bäck 11/8/12 11:05 AM
On Thursday, November 08, 2012 at 12:26 EST,
This indicates that you haven't actually synced and checked out
the current master of external/e2fsprogs, because the reference
to LOCAL_MODULE_STEM that make complains about was removed in
commit dc3069a about a year ago. The most recent commit in that
git should be 5886dc5, and that's the commit you should have
checked out. Try this (and post the output):

cd external/e2fsprogs
git rev-parse HEAD
repo sync .
git branch -a | grep remotes/m/
git rev-parse HEAD

--
Magnus Bäck
ba...@google.com

Thanks a lot for your support, and sorry for the late answer, I was not there during the last three days.
I think I have already the latest commit. Here is the git log:

external/e2fsprogs]$ git log
commit 5886dc5cdcccd3d09a208d41d8c23748c25a2a22
Merge: 0a02698 fada366
Author: Theodore Ts'o
Date:   Tue Jun 12 12:53:18 2012 -0700

    am fada3660: e2fsck: correctly propagate error from journal to superblock

    * commit 'fada366033e80c119867eb303e8b48a8e027a9be':
      e2fsck: correctly propagate error from journal to superblock

I have executed on last Thursday a repo sync on master branch, so I guess I have the latest commits almost every where.

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Magnus Bäck 11/12/12 8:13 AM
On Monday, November 12, 2012 at 02:28 EST,
If you look in the Android.mk files below external/e2fsprogs, is
LOCAL_MODULE_STEM set for any shared library module (actually,
anything but executable or host executable)? Show the output of the
following commands (run from the e2fsprogs root):

git status
grep LOCAL_MODULE_STEM */*.mk

--
Magnus Bäck
ba...@google.com

If you look in the Android.mk files below external/e2fsprogs, is
LOCAL_MODULE_STEM set for any shared library module (actually,
anything but executable or host executable)? Show the output of the
following commands (run from the e2fsprogs root):

git status
grep LOCAL_MODULE_STEM */*.mk

Hi Magnus, here are the logs:

/external/e2fsprogs]$ git status
# Not currently on any branch.
nothing to commit (working directory clean)

/external/e2fsprogs]$ grep LOCAL_MODULE_STEM */*.mk
e2fsck/Android.mk:155:LOCAL_MODULE_STEM := e2fsck
misc/Android.mk:77:LOCAL_MODULE_STEM := mke2fs
misc/Android.mk:150:LOCAL_MODULE_STEM := tune2fs
misc/Android.mk:221:LOCAL_MODULE_STEM := badblocks
resize/Android.mk:64:LOCAL_MODULE_STEM := resize2fs

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Magnus Bäck 11/12/12 11:37 AM
On Monday, November 12, 2012 at 11:42 EST,
It looks like your source workspace is okay. I don't have time to help
you any further. You should get to the bottom of which module it's
actually complaining about (e.g. by commenting out parts of the
makefiles, piece by piece until it stops yelling) and take it from
there.

--
Magnus Bäck
ba...@google.com

I cann fully understand that yo do not have more time to support me.
In fact on top of the master branch, I have copied the sources files from the Sony delivery 6.1.A.0.452, in order to have kernel source files:

This delivery contains several directories in /external, including external/e2fsprogs
I will make new tests, and try to include directories one by one.

Thanks again,

Jim
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Magnus Bäck 11/13/12 8:30 AM
On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 02:34 EST,
     Jim <zong...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I cann fully understand that yo do not have more time to support me.
> In fact on top of the master branch, I have copied the sources files
> from the Sony delivery 6.1.A.0.452, in order to have kernel source
> files:
> http://developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/xperia-open-source-archives/open-source-archive-for-build-6-1-a-0-452-6-1-a-0-453-and-6-1-a-0-454/

6.1.A.0.452 is ICS-based and won't work out of the box with the
JB-based master branch. Unless you really know what you're doing
I don't recommend trying it.

> This delivery contains several directories in /external,
> including external/e2fsprogs
> I will make new tests, and try to include directories one by one.

What do you mean, did you get the build problems when including the
source code from Sony's 6.1.A.0.45[234] drop? That would explain the
build error but wouldn't explain why Git reported external/e2fsprogs
to be clean and have the correct commit checked out.

--
Magnus Bäck
ba...@google.com

I am a little bit confused: from Jean-Baptiste answer, I understood that master branch contains ICS android sources, not JB.
Here is what I want to do:
Be able to build a full android image, with the associated kernel, and flash it in my Xperia S.

For the kernel sources, I only found ICS (6.1.A.0.452). So I guess it is easier to make this exercise with ICS.
Then I first tried to use branch android-4.0.4_r2.1 to be sure to have ICS, but I understood that the lt26i is not supported in this branch.
Jean-Baptiste then told me to simply retrieve the master branch, that is in fact ICS. Is it right ?

The compilation of this matser branch is ok in lt26i device mode (if I download vendor/sony/lt26 git).
However, I also made the test to copy external and vendor files from 6.1.A.0.452 delivery, and then the compilation issue occurs.
(And the error does not disapear if I only change the external/e2fsprogs to the original one).

Do you think my method is correct ?

thanks !
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Magnus Bäck 11/14/12 8:09 AM
On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 03:13 EST,
     Jim <zong...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a little bit confused: from Jean-Baptiste answer, I understood
> that master branch contains ICS android sources, not JB.

No, the master branch contains Jellybean and some other stuff. You can
assume that the master branch is always ahead of anything on release
branches.

> Here is what I want to do:
> Be able to build a full android image, with the associated kernel, and
> flash it in my Xperia S.
>
> For the kernel sources, I only found ICS (6.1.A.0.452). So I guess it
> is easier to make this exercise with ICS.
> Then I first tried to use branch android-4.0.4_r2.1 to be sure to have
> ICS, but I understood that the lt26i is not supported in this branch.
> Jean-Baptiste then told me to simply retrieve the master branch, that
> is in fact ICS. Is it right ?

The master branch is closer to Jellybean than to ICS. You need the
master branch to get the device configuration, but the code that Sony's
released is for ICS. Yes, this makes things harder. You either have to
retrofit the LT26 setup from the master branch to an ICS branch (sounds
pretty easy) or use the ICS-based Sony software on top of Jellybean.

> The compilation of this matser branch is ok in lt26i device mode
> (if I download vendor/sony/lt26 git).
> However, I also made the test to copy external and vendor files
> from 6.1.A.0.452 delivery, and then the compilation issue occurs.

You can't just copy the files. You'd have to figure out what Sony has
done in those directories and apply the same patches to a Jellybean
tree. They've changed about 80 files in the Webkit tree but I don't
think they've made any significant changes anywhere and probably none
that are necessary for the phone to boot. The reason those directories
are included in the archive is because they're under GPL or LGPL.

> (And the error does not disapear if I only change the
> external/e2fsprogs to the original one).

Then you didn't restore the original tree.

--
Magnus Bäck
ba...@google.com

I really appreciate your help, thanks a lot.

I will try this:

You either have to
retrofit the LT26 setup from the master branch to an ICS branch (sounds
pretty easy).

When you say "pretty easy", I maybe need more explanations ;o)

I have executed a repo sync on the branch android-4.0.4_r2.1.

Then I made a git clone of :
(directory device/sony did not exist, so no merge needed)

I have also copied SW_binaries_for_Xperia_S_v1 files into vendor/sony directory. (vendor directory did not exist, so no merge needed).

Then I ran build/envsetup.sh, and I can see that device/sony/lt26/vendorsetup.sh is included.
But when I run "lunch" and I select full_lt26-userdebug in the list, I have the following error message:

build/core/product_config.mk:193: *** _nic.PRODUCTS.[[device/sony/lt26/full_lt26.mk]]: "frameworks/native/build/phone-xhdpi-1024-dalvik-heap.mk" does not exist.  Stop.

** Don't have a product spec for: 'full_lt26'
** Do you have the right repo manifest?

And now I am stuck.

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Bjorn Andersson 11/15/12 1:35 PM
Hi Jim

I wrote down instructions on how to build bootable images at https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/device-sony-lt26.

Unfortunately the 4.2 update of the master branch came with a few challenges for us, so at this time it's not possible to boot the images produced. We're currently working on solutions to these problems and will post updates to the github project when we have solutions to these problems.

The missing parts are the custom boot image construction and two missing apis in the graphics stack. I.e basically the same issues JBQ helped us to solve temporarily before the 4.2 push. I still hope that we can get more permanent solutions to these issues in place.

Regards,
Bjorn
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Jim 11/16/12 1:36 AM
Thanks Bjorn,

I will make the exercice, and follow the progress in github project.

Something is still not very clear for me: the dependence between the kernel and the android source code.

I have the kernel source code 6.1.A.0.452. I understood that it was ICS.
So I guess that if I switch to android master branch that is JB, I will need the JB kernel.

Am I right ?
Where could I find this kernel ?

best regards,

Jim
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Magnus Bäck 11/16/12 11:30 AM
On Friday, November 16, 2012 at 04:36 EST,
     Jim <zong...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Something is still not very clear for me: the dependence between the
> kernel and the android source code.
>
> I have the kernel source code 6.1.A.0.452. I understood that it was ICS.

Correct.

> So I guess that if I switch to android master branch that is JB,
> I will need the JB kernel.
>
> Am I right ?

An ICS kernel might work, it depends on the actual kernel changes
between ICS and JB. It might be possible to apply the changes between
the stock ICS kernel and Sony's ICS kernel onto the stock JB kernel,
but that probably wouldn't be a trivial task.

> Where could I find this kernel ?

Sony hasn't released any JB-based kernel sources. I think they've
announced that JB updates for their phones will be released during
Q1 2013, so I wouldn't expect kernel sources to be publicly available
prior to that.

--
Magnus Bäck
ba...@google.com

i have seen the anouncement here:

So I want to build and flash the same image in my Xperia S.

I currently have a 6.1.A.0.452 image.

I have built everything, starting from master branch, thansk to explanations from https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/device-sony-lt26

the flash of userdata is ok:
out/target/product/lt26]$ fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
sending 'userdata' (35508 KB)...
(bootloader) USB download speed was 30351kB/s
OKAY [  1.214s]
writing 'userdata'...
(bootloader) Flash of partition 'userdata' requested
(bootloader) S1 partID 0x00000009, block 0x0029f000-0x0069efff
(bootloader) Erase operation complete, 0 bad blocks encountered
(bootloader) Flashing...
(bootloader) Flash operation complete
OKAY [  4.948s]
finished. total time: 6.161s

on the otherhand, the flashall freezes immediatly, during the flash of the boot.img

fastboot flashall
Bootloader Version...: Sony Ericsson S1Boot Fastboot emulation CRH1099189_R10C007
Baseband Version.....: 1252-0023_6.1.A.0.452
Serial Number........: CB511VMP84
checking product...
OKAY [  0.005s]
sending 'boot' (3806 KB)...

Even when I try to execute " fastboot flash boot boot.img ", it freezes (I have waited for 30min, hope it is enough...).

Would you have an explanation/solution for such freeze ?

RE: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Pursehouse, David 11/18/12 6:42 PM
> I have executed a repo sync on the branch android-4.0.4_r2.1.
>
> Then I made a git clone of :
> https://android.googlesource.com/device/sony/lt26.git
> (directory device/sony did not exist, so no merge needed)

You can also do this by adding the lt26.git in a local manifest file, as described in the README on the github project [1].  Then when you repo sync it will automatically fetch it for you.

[1] https://github.com/sonyxperiadev/device-sony-lt26

--
David Pursehouse
Sony Mobile Communications Japan, Inc

Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Bjorn Andersson 11/19/12 5:50 PM
Jim,

The boot.img format for LT26 does not conform to the Google standard, so there need to be extra processing of this file. This was prior to the 4.2 merge temporally taken care of by https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/41360/

Someone mentioned that Intel need a similar patch, so it would make sense to look at the raised concerns and try to get this patch into the tree.

For now you can cherry-pick this patch (minor conflict though).

This will make it possible to flash the partitions and power on the device. Unfortunately the graphics stack is updated, so with the current set of gralloc and adreno binaries we're missing https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/42485/ and the "legacy" variant of SurfaceComposerClient::getDisplayInfo().

By cherry picking #42485 and reverting (the revert) 38b657265ccc5ae45bd7860a68b0d9373b47a2f3 you can get the device to boot.

We're looking at sorting these things out in a proper way so that we can publish updated source and binaries.

Regards,
Bjorn
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Daniel Lee 12/11/12 10:11 PM
Hi Bjorn

I am fairly new to Android development and I would like to ask a few questions. Prior to this, I have already downloaded the sources from the master Android manifest and android-4.0.4_r2.1.

Do you know which Android manifest should I initialize in my repo to build a bootable AOSP Jellybean 4.1 for the LT26 as shown in the Sony Devloper World video as the master has now been updated to a Jellybean 4.2 release?

Was the AOSP Jellybean 4.1 installed on an Xperia S with the stock ICS kernel?

How may I retrofit a master Jellybean build (as enquired by Jim previously) onto an ICS build to build a working AOSP ICS, if possible?

Thanks for your time and assistance!

Daniel
Re: [android-building] Re: An experiment: Sony Xperia S and AOSP Sinan Yıl 12/14/12 5:20 PM
Hi Jim,

I' m successfuly build Android 4.2.1 for Xperia S. When I want to flash that build to my phone I get following error:

Bootloader Version...: Sony Ericsson S1Boot Fastboot emulation CRH1099189_R10CA003
Baseband Version.....: 1252-0023_6.1.A.2.50
Serial Number........: CB511WDE6H
checking product...
OKAY [  0.004s]
sending 'boot' (3756 KB)...
(bootloader) USB download speed was 34964kB/s
OKAY [  0.125s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: Wrong range:0x10008000-0x1038423f. Ok:0x40200000 - 0x42efff)
finished. total time: 0.169s

I read your answer about flashing boot, so I'm getting this error because Lt26 boot.img format doesn't conform to the Google standard or something else?

If this error caused by different reason, can you help me how can fix this.

Sorry for my English
-Sinan

20 Kasım 2012 Salı 03:50:52 UTC+2 tarihinde Bjorn Andersson yazdı:
More topics »