Tragedy in Ohio

Showing 1-11 of 11 messages
Tragedy in Ohio Bill Watts 3/23/14 7:45 AM
A 56-year-old randonneur, Joseph Giampapa (RUSA No. 6146) was struck by a car and killed during a 200K brevet in Ohio on Saturday, March 22.

He was hit from behind by a minivan on a residential country road in Miami County.  The road was not particularly busy, and there were no problems with visibility or with weather that would explain why the driver of the car, who was traveling in the same direction, hit him.

Giampapa's death occurred a few miles after he had reached the turn-around point in an out-and-back ride.  He was among the first riders to clear the control, I and a group of randonneurs came upon the scene of the tragedy about 20 minutes after it happened, and most of the riders on the brevet had to pass through the site.  Because we were at the furthest point from the start, most of us had no choice but to finish the brevet.  The body was covered but had not been moved, and Giampapa's crumbled bike was on the roadside.  The driver of the minivan was writing his statement, and a crew of officers was taking pictures and collecting evidence as we passed through.  The sheriff in charge told us that the driver would go to the hospital for a blood test, and that there would be a thorough investigation.

This was the first brevet offered by new RBA Dave Roderick.  He and his team of volunteers did an excellent job of managing a difficult situation with dignity, compassion and good sense.

Bill Watts
RUSA No. 5365
Re: [Randon] Tragedy in Ohio Rob Dayton 3/23/14 8:33 AM
Prayers going out.
Re: Tragedy in Ohio Jeff Rogers 3/23/14 11:41 AM
Very sorry to hear this sad news.  It is not enough to simply ride within the law, when colliding with a motorized vehicle has such terrible consequences for the unprotected rider. We must always be vigilant on the roads, though unfortunately vigilance is not a guarantee.

Re: [Randon] Tragedy in Ohio Andrea 3/23/14 3:13 PM
Gulp, big lump in my throat. At least the driver stayed.  My heart goes out to Joseph's family and the local club.

Andrea

Thank you,
Andrea

Re: [Randon] Tragedy in Ohio Manoucher Brahman 3/23/14 3:26 PM
My sincere sympathy to the riders' family and the organizer. This is so painful. May the Lord bless his soul and his family.

Mannie

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/randon.

Re: [Randon] Tragedy in Ohio David Buzzee 3/23/14 7:32 PM
It has not been easy for the folks in Ohio Randonneurs, and especially for Joe's wife. Several of Joe's riding friends have been with her Saturday and Sunday. Her family also has been very supportive. But the pain and senselessness will linger . . . .
Re: [Randon] Tragedy in Ohio j schaller 3/24/14 5:39 AM
This is so horrible. Please keep us in the loop about events or actions we can take to express our support/sympathies for the family and our anger/frustrations about the increasing frequency of these killings.

Jonathan
Re: [Randon] Tragedy in Ohio village scribe 3/24/14 9:50 AM
My dad lives and rides in the Piqua area regularly. He called me Sunday morning (I live in Michigan) to tell me about the incident. I'm still deeply shaken and unsettled by it. I'm already haunted by "what ifs," as it is. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone effected by this wretched situation, even the driver.

Be safe and Godspeed.
scott

On Monday, March 24, 2014 8:39:31 AM UTC-4, j schaller wrote:
This is so horrible. Please keep us in the loop about events or actions we can take to express our support/sympathies for the family and our anger/frustrations about the increasing frequency of these killings.

Jonathan
Re: Tragedy in Ohio Don 3/24/14 1:06 PM
Those of us in the Ohio Randonneurs are having a tough time with what happened. Phyllis and I along with several others on the 200K were close friends with Joe and his wife Thelma. We along with other family and friends spent a very difficult Saturday evening with her. Joe was a very strong rider and always at the head of the lead group, but was also one of the friendliest and encouraging person that you would want to know, even if you were the lanterne rouge on the brevet.

There was a nice article in the Columbus Dispatch about Joe with a great picture of him riding in Europe.

Don Hamilton
RUSA Membership
Dublin, Ohio
RE: [Randon] Re: Tragedy in Ohio jiml...@verizon.net 3/24/14 8:15 PM

Sadly, it is the tragedies that often kick off planning for Rides of Silence (http://www.rideofsilence.org/ ).  I kicked off planning for Pittsburgh’s Ride of Silence tonight.  The first Ride of Silence was organized for an ultra-cyclist, Larry Schwartz in Dallas in 2003.   I started organizing Rides of Silence after a similar senseless accident in Pittsburgh perhaps 5 years ago.  For those that are far from Ohio but considering what to do, consider organizing a Ride of Silence in your community.

Jim Logan

RUSA 3730

Pittsburgh, PA