LessChrome HD: More space to browse

Showing 1-208 of 208 messages
LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 8:35 AM
We've got another spin-off project from Home Dash. This time focusing
on the chromeless aspect without going totally chromeless.

https://mozillalabs.com/prospector/2011/05/20/lesschrome-hd-more-space-to-browse/

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Jeff Grossman 5/20/11 8:59 AM
I just installed it.  It does what it says it would, so far so good.  I will play with it over the weekend and offer any feedback that I may have.

Jeff

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hawken Rives 5/20/11 9:20 AM
If you turn off the combined menu button, the tab strip vanishes when
the chrome does. Other than that, it all works pretty well.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Kartik Agaram 5/20/11 9:33 AM
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ahmad Ejaz 5/20/11 9:36 AM
fantabulous idea..just checked similar idea on chrome for compact navigation...
only problem to me is that this addon doesn't work pretty if u have personas on..good though on default theme
see the screenshot
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse crazedpsyc 5/20/11 10:03 AM
Well that is rather awesome! I keep imagining that exact thing!
Two bugs so far:
  1. the pop-up notification bubbles appear to be pointing at an empty space because the toolbar is hidden
  2. if a toolbar button has a tooltip, it can be hard to click, because the bar hides the instant the tooltip is displayed
But other than that, I love it!
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hoan Do 5/20/11 11:13 AM
Need fix bug when personas installed
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hoan Do 5/20/11 11:17 AM
when i open addon manager tab, and i click to move from a web tab to this addon manager tab, the address bar until appear, instead of beong chromeless as latest UI
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hoan Do 5/20/11 11:25 AM
firefox button is becoming "unclickable" in Nightly Build
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hoan Do 5/20/11 11:30 AM
There is a transparent space at top of sidebar feature such as History (Ctrl H)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/20/11 11:37 AM
Same problem here in Firefox 4, official release, Win7 HP 64-bit SP1.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/20/11 11:39 AM
Yeah, that's a bit buggy. The background should not be transparent on the "popup-chrome" when you hover the mouse over it.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/20/11 11:41 AM
To you people who are about to ask for a keyboard command to open it, Ctrl+L works just fine. It brings up the chrome and "highlights" the address bar (puts the cursor in it), just like how the address bar normally would be highlighted by Ctrl+L.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/20/11 11:47 AM
Another bug: The toolbar customization view gets screwed up.
See attached screenshot.

Firefox 4.0.1
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, Service pack 1
In case it could be relevant (doubt it): Nvidia GeForce GT 320M graphics card
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/20/11 11:48 AM
Update: It works in non-maximized windowed mode, but not when maximized.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hoan Do 5/20/11 11:51 AM
Nightly Build has the same problem
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse SIO 5/20/11 12:01 PM
Two problems here:
  • doesn't show any toolbars in fullscreen mode (F11)
  • when closing tab with mouse gesture (FireGestures), urlbar disappears too quickly (in less than a second). when closing with ctrl+w or middle click works ok
In other usecases it works as expected, nice extension, thank you
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse crazedpsyc 5/20/11 12:08 PM
Oh, yeah! It would really be nice if there was just a 2-3 second delay before hiding it :)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 12:10 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Hoan Do <hoande...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a transparent space at top of sidebar feature such as History
Thanks. Filed https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/363

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 12:12 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM, crazedpsyc <craze...@live.com> wrote:
> Oh, yeah! It would really be nice if there was just a 2-3 second delay
> before hiding it :)
Just checking, you're referring to the auto-hide when you move the
mouse? (As opposed to clicking the page to hide.)

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse crazedpsyc 5/20/11 12:29 PM
Yes, exactly
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 12:32 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:01 PM, SIO <sio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> when closing tab with mouse gesture (FireGestures), urlbar disappears too
> quickly (in less than a second)
Can you try out v2 and see if it's better?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/2

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 12:33 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM, crazedpsyc <craze...@live.com> wrote:
> the pop-up notification bubbles appear to be pointing at an empty space
> because the toolbar is hidden
This should be fixed in v2.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/2

> if a toolbar button has a tooltip, it can be hard to click, because the bar
> hides the instant the tooltip is displayed
What OS and button are you pointing at? The chrome doesn't hide for me
when pointing at stuff like the Back button or Home button.

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 12:35 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Hoan Do <hoande...@gmail.com> wrote:
> firefox button is becoming "unclickable" in Nightly Build
Doesn't seem to be limited to just Nightly. This was happening on all
sorts of Windows (XP, Vista, 7) when maximized. Try v2!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/2

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hoan Do 5/20/11 12:52 PM
it is still v1, not v2 :(
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse crazedpsyc 5/20/11 1:01 PM
Trying to get v2 now..
OS: Ubuntu 11.04
Button: The first one I noticed was brief (an extension), but the rest are the same
And yes, the back and home buttons do it to me as well.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse SIO 5/20/11 1:01 PM
I do not see v2 there
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse crazedpsyc 5/20/11 1:02 PM
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse crazedpsyc 5/20/11 1:04 PM
v2 does not seem to be any better with the overly-fast autohiding, but the tooltips are now working fine
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse SIO 5/20/11 1:05 PM
Okay, with v2 the second problem is gone. Urlbar stays visible as long as when tab is closed by ctrl+w
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse alienkid 5/20/11 1:34 PM
firefox button and window controls (minimize, maximize,close) don't work for me with this installed XP SP3 Firefox 4.0.1
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Marcelo Araldi 5/20/11 1:35 PM
I'm having the same problems that are listed above on Win XP SP3 32bits Fx 4

- No bars appears on Full Screen mode
- Firefox button don't work when maximized
- Persona don't work with the hided bar

I guess the hiding time it's ok!

:)

Atenciosamente,
Marcelo Araldi.

About.me

2011/5/20 SIO <sio...@gmail.com>
Okay, with v2 the second problem is gone. Urlbar stays visible as long as when tab is closed by ctrl+w

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/20/11 1:37 PM
That works for me.

It's cool that I already have tried two versions of the addon without rebooting Firefox!
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse sheepoverfence 5/20/11 1:38 PM
when the Navigation bar is shown, it covers up the top portion of the page.  Could it push down the content of the page, so it doesn't cover up the top portion of the website?  Or at least make that an option that users could choose.
cover up top of page, or not cover up top of page(slide entire page down slightly to show navigation bar)

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Marcelo Araldi 5/20/11 1:39 PM
That's a nice idea SheepOverFence but i believe it would make the addon a little slower

Atenciosamente,
Marcelo Araldi.

About.me

2011/5/20 sheepoverfence <sheepov...@yahoo.com>
when the Navigation bar is shown, it covers up the top portion of the page.  Could it push down the content of the page, so it doesn't cover up the top portion of the website?  Or at least make that an option that users could choose.
cover up top of page, or not cover up top of page(slide entire page down slightly to show navigation bar)

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/20/11 1:44 PM
V2 fixes the Firefox button when maximized.
I'd say Personas support is buggy, but functionally it works.
And yes, when in fullscreen mode it does not work with the mouse, it does not pop up. Although Ctrl+L works to bring it up!
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/20/11 1:46 PM
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Voo 5/20/11 1:49 PM
Skimmed through the replies so far and it seems noone has posted this so far:

FF4.01 release on win7 x64:
When opening the menu bar (uh no idea what the correct name would be) with alt, the tabs are overpainted instead of sliding down - a picture is attached.

The other thing which is arguably not necessary a bug but annoying for me is that when I use the middle mouse button to scroll a webpage the address bar automatically appears.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/20/11 1:52 PM
I guess that's the same bug as the one where pretty much the same thing happens if you open the toolbar customization window.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/20/11 1:54 PM
Voo: "The other thing which is arguably not necessary a bug but annoying for me is that when I use the middle mouse button to scroll a webpage the address bar automatically appears."

Well, THAT bug does not happen to me. Seems strange. Could that be caused by other addons? Something that modifies scrolling behaviour? Windows drivers?
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Voo 5/20/11 2:11 PM
Sorry my fault. I just tried without any addons apart from LessChrome and see there: I couldn't even get the mouse to behave this way. So it does seem that this is just a problem between All-In-One-Gestures and this one and probably AIOG is at fault since it's no default behavior. The curse of plugins - you get just way too customized to them ;)

But just so that anyone knows what I'm talking about another screen attached - would be great if this could be fixed if it's easy to do so, but I've got no idea about the underlying codebase of all three factors (FF, AIOG, LessChrome) and I can understand that this is hardly important for such a prototype.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/20/11 2:23 PM
Unmotivated popping up doesn't happen to me on scroll, but it happens on right click.
See attached screenshot.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse will 5/20/11 2:23 PM
This is brilliant, and allows ff to run far faster than Home Dash. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Gabriel Mariani 5/20/11 2:27 PM
Could you also move the navigation to the top left like chrome? Actually, i don't even use those that much, since i have those buttons on my mouse. If you could just put the refresh button or stop button up there, that'd rock.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse AnxiousNut 5/20/11 3:00 PM
Quite interesting. It works, but I think there is some room for enhancement.

One thing I loved is that when pressing Ctrl+L (toggles location bar), the bar automatically pops up. However, I couldn't find any way to let it go, including Esc! I had to remove my hands from the keyboard and move my mouse pointer.

Update: I found the key that lets it go, it's Tab. Reasonable and it makes sense since Esc would actually stop the page from loading.

Although it makes the browser more compact and actually gives more space (perfect for my netbook), however, there's something that makes me prefer the existence of the bar on large monitors. I think the reason is because when the navigation bar is shown, the active tab is easier to identify since the whole navigation bar and the active tab are merged with the same color; It's it becomes harder to notice the active tab when it's hidden. ... It also looks worse without the merged navigation bar, the bottom of the tab looks cut or incomplete!

IMHO, this addon is definitely worth the efforts the devs had put into it, and I really wish to see it as a built-in feature in the upcoming releases.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Shahed Faisal 5/20/11 3:25 PM
Okay, just installed it and seems to be a handy feature.

As my feedback I'd say, the transition is slow and not very smooth. Also it conflicts with the tab bar in full screen mode.

I'm using Firefox 4.0.1 on Ubuntu by the way.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse AnxiousNut 5/20/11 3:26 PM
I believe I found a small bug! When Firefox is in full screen mode, it
usually shows the tabs and the navigation bar once the pointer is near
the top. However, with this add-on enabled, nothing happed when you
point the pointer to the top. Thank God we have F11 key on our
keyboards. XD
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Daniel Sandman 5/20/11 3:36 PM
Really great idea! And a suitable step toward greater screen estate. I just missing one feature and that is when i hoover my tabs i still see the address of my current page open. I would like to see the tab i am hoovering.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse matt sweet 5/20/11 3:47 PM
Hello, I just installed version 2 in FF 4.0.1 (windows xp sp3) and am experiencing the same problem as alienkid was: minimize, maximize, and close are partially greyed out and do not work when clicked. Other addons are: web of trust, app button clear, lastpass, and moveable firefox button.
Otherwise thank you for a great addon.
unk...@googlegroups.com 5/20/11 4:32 PM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 5/20/11 4:38 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse antistress 5/20/11 7:30 PM
On Debian 6.0 Squeeze with Iceweasel 4.0.1 from http://mozilla.debian.net/
LessChrome HD only works with menu bar hidden (menu bar is not hidden by default on Linux)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Van Helsing 5/20/11 8:34 PM
installed it, felt awesome!

This experiment has a for-sure place in the upcoming builds.

Works awesomely...

There are some things i would like the developer to fix...(screenshot included)

1. I have a bookmarks sidebar. After installing LessChromeHD, i see a small space between Firefox button and the bookmarks sidebar(reserved for search bar). The add-on should automatically extend the sidebar to fill the empty space.

2. If i add a bookmarks toolbar, then there is another empty space below tabs.(reserved for bookmarks toolbar).
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Josh Vickerson 5/20/11 8:48 PM
Love it! Works flawlessly for me on Win7

I wonder, though... Would it be possible to have it move the bookmarks menu button up to the tab bar (next to the tab groups button) so it's always visible, even when the rest isn't? Just makes it easier to navigate to bookmarks, I think.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 8:54 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Josh Vickerson <jpv4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be possible to move the bookmarks menu button up to the tab bar
You should be able to by right-clicking the toolbar and customizing
then dragging the bookmarks menu button up. It looks a little strange
though with a down arrow in the bookmarks menu button right next to
the down arrow for showing all tabs.

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ian Carlson 5/20/11 10:15 PM
Firefox 4, it doesn't allow me to use the Firefox button. Any idea when that will be fixed? As of now, I have to press ALT to show the menus, and they overlap with the tab bar.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 11:03 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Icy Flame <coldre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> doesn't allow me to use the Firefox button. Any idea when that will be fixed?
v2 just got approved, so if you still have it installed, you should be
able to go to about:addons and "Check for Updates".

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 11:10 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Van Helsing <eerfee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The add-on should automatically extend the sidebar to fill the empty space.
Thanks for the screenshots. This should be fixed in v2.

> add a bookmarks toolbar, then there is another empty space below tabs
From the other reports, this seems like it only happens when showing
or hiding the bookmarks toolbar (as well as other toolbars). For now
if you disable then re-enable LessChrome, it'll pick the right height
to use.

https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/353

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 11:15 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM, matt sweet <matt....@gmail.com> wrote:
> minimize, maximize, and close are partially greyed out and do not work
This sounds related to the Firefox button not working (but should be
working in v2).
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/371

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 11:29 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Daniel Sandman <revo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> when i hover my tabs i still see the address of my current page open.
> I would like to see the tab i am hovering.
This was suggested by another person as well:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/352

Home Dash has a similar functionality of showing information about the
tab that's being pointed at. In the case of Home Dash, it would show
the whole tab as a full-browser preview and not so much the url as
urls were hidden by default. I was thinking of pulling that feature as
a separate add-on, so at that point it would probably also change the
url shown when previewing.

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 11:33 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:00 PM, AnxiousNut <anxio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing I loved is that when pressing Ctrl+L (toggles location bar), the
> bar automatically pops up. However, I couldn't find any way to let it go,
> including Esc!
Yeah! That bugs me too! AwesomeBar HD lets you press escape to cancel
out of the location bar and move focus back to the page. You'll
actually need to press Esc twice because the first Esc will clear out
the input box.

> also looks worse without the merged navigation bar, the bottom of the tab
> looks cut or incomplete!
How would you suggest to make it look better? One suggestion was to
add a small border at the bottom edge. But some sites like Google
already add their own border to the top of the page.
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/345

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 11:41 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Natanael L <natan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unmotivated popping up doesn't happen to me on scroll, but it happens on
> right click.
This is by design so that you can quickly see the current page's url
by just right-clicking where the mouse is. Then you can click the page
again to have the rest of the interface hide away. But perhaps it
should be limited to just the navigation bar showing and not other
toolbars like bookmarks?
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/372

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 11:45 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Voo <vood...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When opening the menu bar (uh no idea what the correct name would be) with
> alt, the tabs are overpainted instead of sliding down - a picture is
> attached.
Thanks for the attachment. That should be this issue:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/350

This is actually slightly tricky to fix in that the the menu bar does
shift the whole page down as opposed to LessChrome puts the navigation
above the page. So making sure they shift correctly requires a bit of
magic.

> The other thing which is arguably not necessary a bug but annoying for me is
> that when I use the middle mouse button to scroll a webpage the address bar
> automatically appears.
Once I found a mouse with a middle scrollwheel, this was easy to
reproduce and fix in v2. It happens on all platforms and not just
windows:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/355
Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Paul Morris 5/20/11 11:47 PM
This was my thought too -- eventually it would be cool to have the back and forward buttons in the tab bar, as well as whatever other buttons you want up there.  Otherwise it adds a step to get at these buttons.

But overall, I think this is great!  I look forward to using it!
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/20/11 11:50 PM

Seriously, leave that to Ctrl+L. Tell people that command to put the cursor in the address bar exists instead. It would be less confusing to newbies.

- Sent from my phone

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/20/11 11:55 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM, Paul Morris <paulw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> it would be cool to have the back and forward buttons in the tab bar
Actually.. seems like you can customize the navigation buttons
(back/forward/stop/reload) and move them into the tab bar! So you can
do this today if you wanted.

Although, there have been suggestions to show the navigation area as
you pointed close there as in show the controls if the mouse would
have been over the buttons anyway. However, that leads to trouble if
there's something on the page that happens to be in that same area.
Also, detecting motions towards that area is very difficult as the
difference between moving to the back button vs moving to a link at
the top of the page looks very similar.

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hoan Do 5/21/11 12:03 AM
I think back and forward button must be move to left of tab bar to increase the productivity. Now if I want to back to previous website, I must move the arrow to the tab bar, then move to the back button.
A problem: because of Aero feature in windows 7, these buttons are too dificult to see if the desktop background is dark.Maybe you need make an alternate button to improve.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/21/11 12:09 AM
Alt+Left arrow, Alt+Right arrow. THERE'S your productivity! :)

On 21 Maj, 09:03, Hoan Do <hoandesig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think *back and forward button* must be move to *left of tab bar *to
> increase the productivity. Now if I want to back to previous website, I must
> move the arrow to the *tab bar*, then move to the *back button*.
> *A problem*: because of Aero feature in windows 7, these buttons are too
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse fire gift 5/21/11 1:06 AM
these incremental improvements are way better than things like home dash. too many new elements to learn.
unk...@googlegroups.com 5/21/11 1:08 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Jishnu 5/21/11 1:16 AM
Implementation of mouse gestures with the addon will make navigation easier.
Also the navigation bar should be shown when navigating to another page from the same tab.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hoan Do 5/21/11 1:27 AM
If turn off Tab on Top, UI becomes so crazy :))
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hoan Do 5/21/11 1:28 AM
Many people don't know hotkey.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Van Helsing 5/21/11 2:01 AM
hmm...seems im gonna go mad!

Guys, I did the following steps and got rid of the two issues I
posted. Might be helpful to you!

1. disable the addon
2. restored toolbar defaults
3. setup the toolbar again
4. enabled the addon
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Natanael L 5/21/11 2:11 AM
Let's teach them. :)

Ctrl+L = bring up address bar.
Alt+Left = go back in history
Alt+Right = go forward

Easy! Just write it down somewhere for the newbies.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Van Helsing 5/21/11 2:25 AM
Thanks Lee, i had already guessed the re-enable way of fixing gaps. I
also re-arranged my toolbar settings which might have been helpful too
(I couldn't figure out that it helped or not. to be precise). But for
now, its working perfectly and hiding both the URL bar and Bookmarks
toolbar without any annoying gaps.

Now for something more, I would like to make hidden toolbars appear
just by raising the mouse to the tab bar, instead of pointing towards
any open tab (this is useful when you are working with only one tab).
Rest is perfect. Thanks Mozilla for this awesome add-on.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Erlan Sergaziev 5/21/11 2:47 AM
It's a great idea, however, I think it would be better if the NavBar appeared when clicking on the tab not when it's hovered. It would then be more consistent with tab switching and Ctrl-L, i.e. show when explicitly requested.

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Van Helsing 5/21/11 3:58 AM
Hey Lee, one more thing came up...

In the add-on page, the toolbar unexpectedly appears when the tool
button is clicked which is below the tab bar. Nice part is that the
context menu from it (tool button) is still accessible!
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Pablo Picasso 5/21/11 4:40 AM
This is a great idea. Previous Hide toolbar extensions seems to move page up or down when autohiding.

The only problem is with custom toolbar. I do have Roboform toolbar at right end of url bar. This roboform part is not getting hidden and unable to access to
 top rt side of any page.

But Bookmark toolbar is getting hidden without any problem.
Thank you.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Josh Vickerson 5/21/11 5:30 AM
Check out this userscript, the screenshot shows some nice work. I'd
like to see LessChrome become more like it by default!

http://userstyles.org/styles/45652/firefox-4-autohide-navigation-bar-alternative

On May 20, 11:54 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
unk...@googlegroups.com 5/21/11 5:50 AM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 5/21/11 5:58 AM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 5/21/11 5:59 AM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 5/21/11 6:01 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Paul Morris 5/21/11 8:37 AM
On Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:55:53 AM UTC-4, Edward Lee wrote:
Actually.. seems like you can customize the navigation buttons
(back/forward/stop/reload) and move them into the tab bar!

Cool!  Didn't know you could do that!  It's working great for me, and really puts the icing on the cake for LC-HD.  Looks like you can move any of the standard buttons up there, including the bookmarks menu, RSS feed, Fullscreen, (although it looks like the bookmarks menu needs an icon, as it just becomes blank when you move it there).  (I'm on FF 5.0a2)  Looks like  the "bookmark this page" star button is attached to the URL bar so can't be moved up there, but other than that this is great.

Although, there have been suggestions to show the navigation area as
you pointed close there as in show the controls if the mouse would
have been over the buttons anyway. However, that leads to trouble if
there's something on the page that happens to be in that same area.

 Yeah, that seems like trouble to me, for all those reasons.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Paul Morris 5/21/11 8:40 AM
Just noticed that if you open a new window and don't have the preference set to "always show the tab bar," then your new window doesn't have a tab bar and there's nothing to hover, and no way to access the URL bar.  Just another edge case to be aware of.  :)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Van Helsing 5/21/11 9:29 AM
experiencing the same problem as Matt Sweet & Alienkid's

I switched off the Aero Desktop and saw tht the top-right section with
3 buttons (minimse, maximise & close) are greyed out, thus not
clickable!
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse spvn 5/21/11 10:39 AM
Everything working fine and dandy for me. One very very important piece of suggestion I have though that I really really hope gets implemented.

When I first installed the plugin without restarting my browser, it was buggy. The bar wouldnt even appear when I hovered my mouse over the tabs. Even when I hit ctrl+k to use the search box, everything remained hidden but still worked fine (i.e. after I hit enter my search results appeared, I just couldn't see what I was typing). Then I restarted my browser and actually got annoyed that the bar kept appearing whenever I hovered over the tabs.

I'm hoping that users are given the option to actively disable the navigation and bookmarks bar so that they don't even show when you mouseover. Instead you got to do an action at the top (e.g. left clicking on an empty part of the tab bar or something like that? I'm not really sure what the action should be) before the bars appear. Because currently, I'm actively stopping myself from moving my mouse to the top of the screen for fear of triggering that annoying bar from appearing. I know this sounds like a UI nightmare (not even being able to see what you type) but I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes the bars would remain hidden till a very simple gesture is made.

If this is not possible, I hope that the "lag time" before the bar disappears once the mouse is no longer hovered over the tab bar is completely removed. It's annoying to see the bar linger there for a moment even after my mouse is no longer there. The slight "lag time" really annoys me.

Oh and a bug I've found is that if you disable the Nav bar with the plugin installed, everything goes very wonky the next time you mouseover the top.

Thanks for the great plugin though! Hope it gets improved upon!
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse spvn 5/21/11 10:43 AM
Oh and I just realised something else. The nav bar should ONLY appear when mouse movement is involved IMO. If I ctrl+tab through my tabs I don't want the stupid bar to keep appearing, I can tell where I am without the address bar.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse SIO 5/21/11 10:49 AM
I disagree. It is as useful as when switching tabs with mouse. User(me) needs to see url of the tab he switches to
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ad 5/21/11 12:00 PM
I rather like it but I'm not keen on the back and forward buttons being hidden all the time. Is there no way to place them in the same row as the tab list?

For further bonus points, can the whole tab bar be compressed by about two tab lengths or so and have everything fit between the Aurora button and the minimize/maximize/close buttons of the UI, like Aurora does when its in full screen? I'm not sure why it doesn't do that for the windowed mode already.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ad 5/21/11 12:07 PM
I don't mind the address bar appearing when I switch tabs. It disappears pretty quick.

I'm not keen on the amount of mousing I have to do to access the location bar on my wide screen monitor though. It's fine if my tabs are along the left hand side of the browser window.. or in the middle. But in order to click into the location bar when I access a tab on the far right, I have to mouse all the way down and to the left to get at it.. and this is after mousing up to the tab in question already.

If in this interface they moved the back/forward buttons to a stable place on the far left of the interface, they could introduce a compact location/search/addon bar that appears right below the tab in question.. so the action of clicking into the location bar is always, 'mouse to tab, mouse down slightly and click.'

Make the first row the location/awesomebar, the second row search/home/bookmark, everything else on the third row if it needs to exist.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Paul Morris 5/21/11 12:35 PM
On Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:00:54 PM UTC-4, Ad wrote:
I rather like it but I'm not keen on the back and forward buttons being hidden all the time. Is there no way to place them in the same row as the tab list?

Yep!

View Menu > Toolbars > Customize > Drag-n-drop

This makes it that much sweeter!
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ron R 5/21/11 2:28 PM
Yet another successful Prospector add-on (I have them all installed besides Home-Dash... didn't feel comfortable with it).
The only issue I have with it (for now) is that there seems to be a missing 'border' between the tabs and the actual browsing window.
It has a feeling of being a bit cut-off.
Menu in print preview does not show up when LessChrome HD BaKbOnE 5/21/11 2:28 PM

Menu in print preview does not show up when LessChrome HD. I have to disable add on to show the print menu.

Re: Menu in print preview does not show up when LessChrome HD Martín René Vilugrón 5/21/11 6:08 PM
Nice work!
Adding the urlbar hiding mechanism of fennec combined with this, whould be soooo much sweeter
Saludos!
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Judah Richardson 5/21/11 6:11 PM
Great idea, very well implemented. Love it :)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ad 5/21/11 7:24 PM
... genius..!
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ian Carlson 5/21/11 8:58 PM
As I said in my other mozilla labs thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla-labs/browse_thread/thread/8dd32d46c2c64a44

Minimize, restore and close buttons are greyed out when maximized,
just like the firefox button was.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Paul Morris 5/21/11 11:24 PM
Just thought I'd point out a minor thing that I noticed:  With many open tabs, using two finger swipe to scroll left or right through the tabs causes the URL bar to disappear.  Seems like the URL bar should stay visible since the mouse pointer is still hovering above the tabs, and since you're still engaged in navigating through your tabs rather than looking at the content of a web page.  Not a major issue but something you might want to consider when you get to the "polish" stage.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/21/11 11:45 PM
On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Icy Flame <coldre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Minimize, restore and close buttons are greyed out when maximized,
Can you try out v3 to see if it's fixed for you? I couldn't seem to
reproduce the issue even when maximized without Aero.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/3

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/21/11 11:46 PM
On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Ron R <web...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only issue I have with it (for now) is that there seems to be a missing
> 'border' between the tabs and the actual browsing window.
v3 adds a shadow to better indicate the separation as well as
indicating that it's "hovering over" the page.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/3

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ian Carlson 5/21/11 11:50 PM
v3 makes the top-right window buttons work now when maximized. Thanks!
Also, the shadow under it is pro.
> indicating that it's "hovering over" the page.https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-...
>
> Ed
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/21/11 11:51 PM
On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 4:40 AM, Pablo Picasso <firef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Previous Hide toolbar extensions seems to move page up when autohiding.
Yeah. By hovering, it avoids the page needing to handle resize events
as well as the browser not trying to reflow the whole document.

> The only problem is with custom toolbar. I do have Roboform toolbar at right
Is this a toolbar of its own (that you can add/remove with other
toolbars) or is it just a button area to click?

Did it still show up incorrectly even after disabling/re-enabling?
Could you try v3? Otherwise we'll need to file an issue on this.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/3

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/21/11 11:53 PM
On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Jishnu <jishnu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Implementation of mouse gestures with the addon will make navigation easier.
If you're on a mac, you can change the 3-finger swipe gesture to move
through tabs instead of going forwards/backwards:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/swipe-tabs/

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/21/11 11:56 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:38 PM, sheepoverfence
<sheepov...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> when the Navigation bar is shown, it covers up the top portion of the page.
v3 tries to better indicate that it's covering some of the page by
being slightly transparent with a shadow. You can scroll the mouse to
dismiss the chrome as well as clicking the tab or an empty spot in the
tab area.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/3

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/21/11 11:58 PM
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Ahmad Ejaz <ah.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> only problem to me is that this addon doesn't work pretty if u have personas
Thanks for the screenshot. This should be fixed in v3. Can you confirm?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/3

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hoan Do 5/22/11 1:24 AM
V3: minimize, maximize and close button disappear when personas enabled
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ron R 5/22/11 3:02 AM
Another issue with V3:
I just encountered a website that wanted to install a plugin.
I can't install it (or even see which plugin it is) since as soon as I try to get to it, the Location Bar hovers on it :)
unk...@googlegroups.com 5/22/11 3:21 AM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 5/22/11 3:22 AM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 5/22/11 3:37 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse FUTDOWN 5/22/11 4:32 AM
Is there a way to adjust the delay? And it would be nice when I switch tabs, the address bar stays hidden until called upon again.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Pablo Picasso 5/22/11 5:48 AM
I posted a reply in githhub user forum under username rajas12.

Thank you
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ian Carlson 5/22/11 10:25 AM
My LessChrome is enabled, but will no longer hide. Is something wrong?
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse nbdotnu 5/22/11 10:51 AM
After hovering over a tab, it opens the address bar and my bookmarks bar which is great, but I need the bookmarks bar to be opaque not transparent as I am not able to see the bookmarks clearly. Please add opacity option asap. Thanks.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Lee 5/22/11 12:33 PM
I would agree with this. I think a configurable option to display the toolbar on tab-switching would be best.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse DavidIllsley 5/22/11 3:12 PM
I'm a big fan of the idea but it seems like a pretty big phishing vulnerability. I think it needs a bit of thought to make the urlbar/identity piece less phishable.
David
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Jithin Emmanuel 5/22/11 5:34 PM
One problem I have is the precise cursor movement needed on top navigation of pages. Is somehow I stray to the tab area the urlbar appears and obstructs the area of the page where it appears. May be the page vew should readjust when the urlbar appears so that the top most part of page where urlbar covers is not hiddem.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse 陳臻祺 5/22/11 7:43 PM

Well done. But, is it normal that the firefox's _□x buttons always are disabled ?

I use Windows XP and firefox 4.0.1.

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Daniel Palmér 5/23/11 3:58 AM
I like the idea of removing menus and interface when not needed,
however I agree with the previous post(s): I usually look at the
location bar quite a lot to see what website I am currently browsing.
It's a tricky question how to inform about the URL without displaying
the location bar. Maybe keep a tiny bit of the menu with the current
URL, while hiding all the controls?
Also I find it really annoying that the locationbar keeps poping up in
front of important menus on the webpages (on all my google-account-
pages for example), since I'm not that accurate with the trackpad. And
when it accidentally appeared, it is not entirely clear how I quickly
make it go away. Where is the active area? I have to wait for a few
seconds to see if the locationbar hides again, if not, move my cursor
slightly and wait again... Could it be that I have to click something
to activate the bar? Or maybe put the area that activates the bar in
the absolute top of the window, like in the window title?

Keep up the interesting work!
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse AnxiousNut 5/23/11 10:04 AM
On May 21, 5:30 am, antistress <thibaut.beth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Debian 6.0 Squeeze with Iceweasel 4.0.1 fromhttp://mozilla.debian.net/
> LessChrome HD only works with menu bar hidden (menu bar is not hidden by
> default on Linux)

I can confirm this on FF 4.0.1 - Ubuntu 10.10.

If the menu bar is shown, an ugly plain grey bar would show instead in
the tabs bar. Neither the tabs nor the Location bar would show up when
moving the pointer to the top. The only way to I found to bring them
back -before they hide themselves again- is by:
* clicking on a menu from the menu bar.
* hitting Ctrl+L.
* hitting the menu key.
* hitting key combinations of tab actions (Ctrl+T/W).

Take a look at these images:
* before hitting the menu (http://i.imgur.com/hpPEA.png)
* after hitting the menu (http://i.imgur.com/p34Lb.png)

Hope this helps the devs someway. :)

Regards,
AnxiousNut
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/23/11 7:36 PM
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 3:02 AM, Ron <web...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just encountered a website that wanted to install a plugin.
Is this any better in v4? It should avoid showing the location bar
when pointing at different plugins/iframes.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/4

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/23/11 7:37 PM
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM, DavidIllsley <davidi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a big fan of the idea but it seems like a pretty big phishing vulnerability
quodlibetor provided a patch to show the UI when the focus is in a
password field. Also, v4 will show the location bar when navigating to
a different domain.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/4

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/23/11 7:38 PM
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Icy Flame <coldre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My LessChrome is enabled, but will no longer hide. Is something wrong?
There might have been an issue with the observers module and
restarting. Does v4 fix it for you?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/4

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ian Carlson 5/23/11 9:50 PM
Yeah, ver4 fixes it.

On May 23, 9:38 pm, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Icy Flame <coldreact...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My LessChrome is enabled, but will no longer hide. Is something wrong?
>
> There might have been an issue with the observers module and
> restarting. Does v4 fix it for you?https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-...
>
> Ed
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ron R 5/23/11 9:51 PM
It works better now. Definitely allows me to reach the top bar for a given plugin.
I've tried it now with LastPass. The only issue that may exist is that one has to be careful not to go over the plugin bar and reach the tabs bar. If that happens, the location bar hover comes on, and then you have to move down and wait for the couple of seconds for it to disappear. In terms of useability, it seems like a bit of an issue, but unfortunately I don't have a suggestion on how to make it better.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/23/11 9:56 PM
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Ron <web...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the location bar hover comes on, and then you have to move down
For now, if you happen to point in an empty area in the tabs area, you
should be able to click or scroll to dismiss. I believe you should
also be able to hit some dummy key like shift to dismiss.

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ron R 5/23/11 10:12 PM
Yeah, the dummy key definitely works. I have too many tabs to test the 'empty area'.
I also just encountered the pop-up blocker bar. That ones gets the location bar hovered instantly, even with V4 (that is, I can't reach its Options button) (unless I hit shift or whatnot).
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Micky Hase 5/24/11 12:03 AM
nice addon this Less Chrome HD 4.
One thing I would like to have as an option would be the timefactor how the menus disappear. For me it should be switched off immediately - I don't like the vanishing after 2-3 seconds. Thx.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Will Riley 5/24/11 12:12 AM
For some reason the URL bar is showing up when I autoscroll (middle click scroll). I'm using Ubuntu.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/24/11 12:15 AM
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Will Riley <hapti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For some reason the URL bar is showing up when I autoscroll (middle click
What version are you running? Could you check for updates from about:addons ?

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/24/11 12:18 AM
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Ron <web...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also just encountered the pop-up blocker bar. That ones gets the location
> bar hovered instantly, even with V4
That's odd. I just double checked with v4 on Windows with sites that
try to open popups, and it doesn't trigger the location bar anymore. I
can confirm that it did incorrectly show on v3 though.

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ron R 5/24/11 12:32 AM
Hmm, this is really odd. I tested it on another site and it did work as expected.
Can you try and test it out with google/gmail?
I tried creating an event from an email, which triggers a popup.. that's when it didn't work.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hakan Bayındır 5/24/11 5:30 AM
This thing is absolutely wonderful. I'd like to be able to adjust the hiding parameters so I can see how I like it most. Maybe I'd like shorter waits after switching tabs and mouse leaves the address/bookmarks bar.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Michael Ludwig 5/24/11 5:55 AM
First of all let me tell you that I love this addon. The new behaviour is great and I absolutely agree with Hakan's posting about the time which could be just a little shorter so that the bars will disappear in just a second or so. This would be quite nice!
Great job! :-)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse max 5/24/11 9:53 AM
This is promising, but it doesn't work for me because of quirks in the order of display.

My 95% use model is:

* Open a set of tabs from the bookmark menu (on the left).
* Go to the right-most tab (odd we don't start there ...).
* Read the tabs as a stack, pushing new tabs and popping old tabs on the right.

So usually all I need is the Tabs toolbar to view the tab stack and to click [Close Tab]. I don't need the Navigation Toolbar much, which is why "Tabs on Top" doesn't make sense for me.

With LessChrome and with Tabs on Top, I can hide Navigation, but Navigation appears anyway every time I go to [Close Tab]. This is irritating noise.

With LessChrome and without Tabs on Top, I can hide Tabs, but then I have to traverse Navigation to display Tabs and traverse back to click [Close Tab], so it's just more work.

What I'd like to see is a general solution that incorporates LessChrome, Full Screen, and user control. As far a possible let the user specify graphically what is displayed, in what order, and whether each item is fixed or revealed.

Thanks, Max

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Kartik Agaram 5/24/11 10:30 AM
The location bar is always visible when the browser window is out of
focus. Is this deliberate? I'm using v4 on macos.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Markus D. 5/24/11 10:32 AM
Works good, but when using it with firegestures addon (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firegestures/), the url bar displays when executing a mouse gesture (right click hold + mouse movement). Not sure whether this needs a fix in LessChrome HD or firegestures, though.

And another minor thing: The URL bar should also roll out when it gets visible (and not only roll in when it disappears). Maybe even fade in and fade out would look better (configurable by the user?)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ian Carlson 5/24/11 10:35 AM
A suggestion:

Can you make a "blacklist" configuration dialog or something that
allows us to specify certain websites that will "always show" (causing
the page to be pushed down back to where it was before autohide) the
bar, but other tabs will still hide it if they are different websites.

For example, DeviantART will have its navigation at the top be hidden
by the bar.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Jeremiah Zabal 5/24/11 5:16 PM
Why does the Navigation Toolbar appear when the cursor exits the window? It feels annoying, and unprovoked. And it never goes away. So it's possibly covering stuff i'm trying to read or view along the top edge.

OSX 10.6, Firefox 5 beta, LessChrome HD 4.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Jeremiah Zabal 5/24/11 6:19 PM
BTW, i tried to read or skim through all the previous posts, so i'm
not sure if that was already mentioned.

Also, i think this was discussed already, but…

The value of hiding the location bar will be much greater if the Back/
Forward buttons are moved up to the Tab bar and are always visible.
Those buttons give at-a-glance feedback to where i am in a tab's
history (or if it has any history at all). As others have mentioned,
clicking those buttons are not the only way to navigate back or
forward — you can use keyboard shortcuts, mouse buttons, mouse/
touchpad gestures, menu options (both system/window menus, and page
context menus) — the point being that you don't always have to point
the cursor and physically click on those buttons. BUT, as the Back/
Forward buttons are the only visual indicators of history context in
the UI, the user is forced to remember where they are in that context
if the buttons are hidden. And with this extension it takes too much
movement to reveal those buttons in order to discover that context.

A practical example: did i get to this tab by clicking on a link, or
did i open it into its own tab from another? Asked another way: can i
go back, or do i have to close this tab? I have no idea when using
this extension in its current form. Sure the tabs can provide some
clues, but icons and titles are not always reliable. Neither is short-
term memory for many of us. So even if you're a mouse-clicker you'll
have to move the cursor up just to unhide the Nav bar, only then will
you know if you can click back, or if you should close the current
tab. And for those of us who prefer keyboard shortcuts and mouse
buttons or gestures, the extra step to reveal the Nav bar add up and
turn the most basic of browsing tasks into a hurdle.

I've only been using this a few minutes and i like the idea, but i may
have to turn it off, because i feel like it's slowing me down.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Jeremiah Zabal 5/24/11 7:15 PM
I've just observed that the bar pops up when interacting with a sidebar like history or bookmarks, even if it's in the same window. Definitely something odd with that behavior.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Judah Richardson 5/24/11 9:29 PM
Hi Ed, I'm noticing that hitting CTRL while the URL/bookmarks bar is displayed makes it disappear. This is really bad as it eliminates CTRL + click functionality in the toolbar. Please fix this, thanks :)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hoan Do 5/25/11 1:16 AM

I think this is the best UI for LessChrome
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Aditya Athalye 5/25/11 2:58 AM
+1 to that
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Aditya Athalye 5/25/11 3:10 AM

Installed yesterday via @azaaza - overall sweet!

But I run into trouble:
  • I can't access the search field in bookmarks and history. The chrome does not move out of the way (screenshot attached).
  • Also prevents access to some username/password forms that are right at the top - I could not access password field placed in the top nav of a .aspx web page.
Running LessChrome HD with FFx 4.0.1 on Windows 7 Professional.

Cheers,
Aditya.

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Thaddee Tyl 5/25/11 5:21 AM
A better way to show that would be to make the navigation bar slightly smaller than the page, leaving a gap of about 10px to the left and to the right. Add a 3px border radius on the bottom left and right, and it would be perfect.

On the other hand, the transparency makes the navigation bar "unclean", and the drop shadow never goes away, even when the navigation bar is hidden. That is not pretty.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Hakan Bayındır 5/25/11 5:54 AM
This wonderful thing would be more wonderful if it keeps hiding the chrome when my cursor leaves the window.

Cheers,

Hakan
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ian Carlson 5/25/11 7:57 AM
You mean leaves the page. As of now, it unhides if you move the mouse
onto any part of Firefox's UI (side panel included.)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Aditya Athalye 5/25/11 9:19 AM
And just discovered to my dismay: one of those now-inaccessible websites with Logins at the top would be http://www.facebook.com/

:-/
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Aditya Athalye 5/25/11 9:36 AM
And now bugged at Twitter.com too!

Here's what's happening:
1. I can enter user name in the Login form located at the top - no problem - at both FB, Tw, and also other sites
2. But Mouse Click on the password field pulls down the address bar, hides the login form, and prevents password typing
3. And same story if I try to navigate with Tabs

Anyone else experienced this or is it just me? :(

(Again, For reference, Running FF 4.0.1 on Windows 7 Professional.)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/25/11 9:41 AM
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Aditya Athalye
<aditya....@gmail.com> wrote:
> And now bugged at Twitter.com too!
Can you log in from this page?
https://twitter.com/#!/search-home

https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/423

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/25/11 9:46 AM
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Icy Flame <coldre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> unhides if you move the mouse onto any part of Firefox's UI (side panel included.)
Does that still happen in v4?

https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/425
That issue should be to make it only appear when pointing out towards
the top (potentially to an empty tabs area).

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Aditya Athalye 5/25/11 10:04 AM
Hi Ed,

Yep, I can login here. However the same behaviour repeats:
 + User name accepted smoothly - in spite of proximity to nav bar.
 + BUT, mouse click (and keyboard tab) forces the nav bar to pull
down. However, password entry is not blocked.

Cheers,
Aditya
--
Aditya Athalye
linkedin.com/in/adityaathalye

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ian Carlson 5/25/11 10:32 AM
It seems to work in Linux. But I think Windows had an issue? I'm not
sure. Not going back to Windows until I've submitted test data for an
up and coming MMORPG that I will test in Wine. (June 2nd is when it's
up, so test may take longer.)

On May 25, 11:46 am, Edward Lee <edi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ian Carlson 5/25/11 11:47 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Some forms, if you tab between inputs, the
lesschrome HD will open the navigation for some reason. Right-clicking
will do the same (albiet quickly.)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ian Carlson 5/25/11 2:54 PM
Also, if a flash object is at the 0 pixel mark or close to the drop
shadow, this will occur:

http://i.imgur.com/9sTme.png
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Ian Carlson 5/25/11 7:50 PM
On Linux, if you use the globalmenu portion of unity, and click, let's
say... "Bookmarks," the lesschrome will always show.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Jochen Madenhacker 5/25/11 8:15 PM
Having a problem. Whenever a PDF is show within the browser-tab the <fill in swearwords> LessChrome HD extension is hiding the menu-bar on top. Meaning to say, I can't save the PDF.

I'm using the Firefox 4.0.1 and Foxitreader (most likely the latest, but I can't reach the menu bar)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Dick Schiferli 5/25/11 11:33 PM
The add-on is really good. Usability improvements I would like to have:

- When going to a tab with the mouse to focus it, the bar appears. Add a timeout that the bar does not appear when only wanting to switch tabs.
- Make the bar fade in and out instead of instant appearance, this will make the user experience better.

All in all I'm a happy camper :)
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Dick Schiferli 5/26/11 12:04 AM
One more bug, when moving the mouse to the left/right or bottom border
of the FF window, the bar also appears, this is pretty annoying too.
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Vincent Tabard 5/26/11 6:07 AM
Totally agree with the delay before appearance on hover. The fade in & out might add unwanted delay when you really want to reach the bar, though. I have lots of links in my bookmarks bar just below the address bar, and I'd be pretty pissed not to be able to (middle) click on them clickly :)

Vincent
Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 9:58 AM
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 4:32 AM, FUTDOWN <dxn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to adjust the delay?
What delay are you referring to? Hiding when pointing at content or
showing when pointing at tabs? v5 has a shorter delay when pointing
back down and adds a delay when pointing up.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/5

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 10:00 AM
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Lee <evilem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> a configurable option to display the toolbar on tab-switching would be best
Are you switching to any tab or a bunch of tabs that you opened in
background tabs? v5 doesn't show the toolbars when switching among
related tabs (on the same domain).
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/5

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 10:01 AM
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Jithin Emmanuel <jithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I stray to the tab area the urlbar appears and obstructs the area of the page
There's now a short delay before the urlbar appears, so if you go a
little too far and point back down, you'll be okay.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/5

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 10:03 AM
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Dawn Chen <moch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is it normal that the firefox's _□x buttons always are disabled ?
Do you recall what version you were using? This should have been fixed
in v3 from a few days ago. However, there's still an issue with
Personas hiding those buttons, but it seems like from your screenshot,
you don't have Personas set.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/5

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 10:05 AM
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:58 AM, Daniel Palmér <vmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> look at the location bar quite a lot to see what website I am currently browsing
You should be able to press and hold the right-click button to have
the location bar appear. And releasing it will hide the toolbars.

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 10:07 AM
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Micky Hase <hase....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> it should be switched off immediately - I don't like the vanishing after 2-3 seconds
Are you referring to the animation time or the wait before it hides?
The animation itself should finish in 150 milliseconds, and it'll skip
frames if the computer is busy with other stuff. v5 also makes it
quicker to dismiss when you do point down back into the page.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/5

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 10:10 AM
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 5:55 AM, Michael Ludwig
<micha...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> agree with Hakan's posting about the time which could be just a little shorter so that
> the bars will disappear in just a second or so. This would be quite nice!
Currently in v5, it'll wait about 300ms before starting to hide the
toolbars and another 150ms to animate, so it should all finish in less
than half a second.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/5

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 10:13 AM
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 9:53 AM, max <m11...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With LessChrome and without Tabs on Top, I can hide Tabs, but then I have to
> traverse Navigation to display Tabs and traverse back to click [Close Tab],
Working with Tabs on Bottom is tracked here:
https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/362

I tried implementing something, but there's a number of behavioral
issues. If tabs are supposed to be on the bottom, when you point at
the tabs, they would shift away from the cursor and the urlbar would
shift in, which would be confusing if you were trying to click
something.

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 10:14 AM
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Kartik Agaram <a...@akkartik.com> wrote:
> The location bar is always visible when the browser window is out of focus
This was somewhat of a bug in attempts to fix an issue on Windows. v5
no longer automatically shows the location bar when the window is
unfocused.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/5

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 10:16 AM
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 10:51 AM, nbdotnu <nitaa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> need the bookmarks bar to be opaque not transparent
Do you remember what version you were using? And if you had Personas
enabled? There was an issue with earlier versions where there would be
no background at all making it hard to read the text.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/5

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 10:20 AM
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 3:10 AM, Aditya Athalye
<aditya....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't access the search field in bookmarks and history. The chrome does
> not move out of the way
Thanks for the report. You should still be able to get the chrome to
hide by clicking or moving the mouse in the content area. It's a bug
that it doesn't work in the sidebar area.
I've filed this issue for you: https://github.com/mozilla/prospector/issues/439

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 10:22 AM
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 5:21 AM, Thaddee Tyl <thadd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the drop shadow never goes away, even when the navigation bar is hidden
It's a slight reminder that there's something that can come out from
above. The shadow effect is reduced in v5 to spread out more to be
less sharp and positioned higher away from the page.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/5

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse Edward Lee 5/26/11 10:24 AM
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Aditya Athalye
<aditya....@gmail.com> wrote:
> now-inaccessible websites with Logins at the top would be http://www.facebook.com/
> And now bugged at Twitter.com too!
v5 address this by making sure the whole page is visible while showing
the location bar and identity box.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prospector-lessChrome-HD/versions/5

Ed

Re: LessChrome HD: More space to browse ael ilea 5/26/11 10:25 AM
Personally, I preferred it without the delay before the URL bar appears - maybe it is just a tick too long now?

But much more importantly - PLEASE make the URL bar transparency optional at least. It really makes it much harder to read, especially when one just wants to "glance upward", and is distracting.