Just got finished writing my very first novel.

Showing 1-1 of 1 messages
Just got finished writing my very first novel. John Scalzi 7/21/97 12:00 AM

Thought y'all might like to know. I'm happy, pleased, tired.

96,098 words, cranked out in a little under three months, working
mostly on weekends, grinding out 5,000 words at a sitting.

Learned two things:

a) I *can* carry a story over such a long stretch;

b) like most things on the planet, thinking about doing it is a lot
worse than simply sitting down and doing it. The writing wasn't hard
to do, you just need to plant ass in seat and go from there.

I did find it helped not to make my first novel a gut-wrenching
personal story, if you know what I mean. Instead I just tried to write
the sort of science fiction story I would like to read. It was fun.

Now I go in to tinker and fine tune. Will soon have it ready for beta
testing. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
John M. Scalzi II
Writer/Editor, America Online
http://members.aol.com/jscalzi
"THIS isn't John Scalzi! John Scalzi is a dashing bon vivant! where is the John Scalzi
of our youth, the John Scalzi of television, film and those Choose-Your-Own-Adventure
novels?!?"

-- A slightly drunk co-worker