Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October

Showing 1-15 of 15 messages
Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October arac...@gmail.com 8/31/12 11:44 AM
Hi,

after the "failure" on the last meeting, I want to try to set up a meeting for Thursday, 4th October 2012. I'm aware is more than 1 month away, but I believe this is kind of necessary to organize it properly.

I would like anyone interested in coming to answer this thread and to really attend (barring really urgent matters), 1 month should be time enough to block the date in your calendars and knowing how many people will attend helps to plan what will be done, for example if we meet somewhere informally or we try to book some place (for a bigger audience).

I also would like suggestions on what to do to be added to this thread until the 10th of September. Then, we can "Vote" the best suggestions and make it happen. Please be aware that it's the first one done in a long time and we may have few attendants. As much as I would love to do some really cool stuff, we may lack either the people or the resources to do some things.

And, most importantly: spread the word. Try to "hook" as many people as you can. Workmates, friends, etc. The more the merrier.

Let's try our best!

Re: [Scala Enthusiasts Dublin] 90 Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October David Gonzalez 8/31/12 3:49 PM
I'll be there!
Re: Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October arac...@gmail.com 9/2/12 1:11 PM
Hi everyone,

to follow up the previous email. My suggestion for the meeting is to establish a study group around the Scala course in Coursera (https://www.coursera.org/course/progfun). Andy Hicks (London Scala User Group) suggested that and I believe it's a great idea:
  • it's easy to set up (just a table in a pub can be enough)
  • it would work whatever the group size (2 or 20)
  • it may help getting everyone up to speed in Scala (from new starters to more experienced developers)
  • Once finished (course last 7 weeks) we'll have had enough time to see what can be done for the next meetings
The course is free to join and once it starts (18th September) we can narrow the contents of the meeting.

Suggestions, feedback?
Re: [Scala Enthusiasts Dublin] 92 Re: Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October David Gonzalez 9/2/12 2:36 PM
That is a perfect idea.

Re: [Scala Enthusiasts Dublin] 92 Re: Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October David Gonzalez 9/2/12 2:37 PM
Anyone is working with Scala? I mean, I´m learning scala in order to give value to my CV but I don´t have real work experience.

2012/9/2 David Gonzalez <node...@gmail.com>

unk...@googlegroups.com 9/3/12 9:12 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October Gary Coady 9/5/12 12:19 PM
I also think that sounds great, I'm planning to take part in the course. As far as experience goes, I've been working almost full-time with Scala and JavaScript (mostly using the Play! framework, but any ancillary projects are also made with Scala/sbt) for the last 3 months.

I don't know if anybody has noticed a Scala event in London this November: http://skillsmatter.com/event/scala/scala-exchange-2012 - looks interesting.

One other thought, I only saw this list accidentally while doing a search for Scala on Google Groups. Have you (for some definition of "you") considered advertising on the Dublin Scala meetup.com group?

Gary.
Re: [Scala Enthusiasts Dublin] 104 Re: Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October Pere Villega 9/5/12 12:20 PM
Great idea, I'll do that now. Thanks Gary!
Re: [Scala Enthusiasts Dublin] 104 Re: Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October Fergal Somers 9/10/12 10:12 AM

Hi,

I work for Workday here in Dublin. We have a number of experienced Scala developers already and we have 4-5 new ones which are doing the online course.
We think a study meetup is a great idea and if people are interested, we are willing to host it, but unfortunately the week of Oct 4th doesn't work for us.
Would people consider moving it to sometime the following week?

Cheers,

Fergal.
Re: [Scala Enthusiasts Dublin] 107 Re: Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October Pere Villega 9/10/12 10:35 AM
Hi Fergal,

that would be great. What do you say about October 11th? Anyone has an objection to that date?

Cheers,
Pere
Re: [Scala Enthusiasts Dublin] 98 Re: Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October David Gonzalez 9/10/12 11:02 AM
Yes! October 11th will be good.

2012/9/10 Fergal Somers <fso...@gmail.com>

Re: [Scala Enthusiasts Dublin] 98 Re: Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October Fergal Somers 9/11/12 12:53 AM
Great - Oct 11th it is then.

Cheers.

Fergal.
Re: [Scala Enthusiasts Dublin] 98 Re: Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October Alan Larkin 9/11/12 8:58 AM
October 11th good for me too.

Alan
Re: [Scala Enthusiasts Dublin] 98 Re: Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October Jos Flores 9/12/12 6:32 AM
This sounds like fun; I have joined the course too so I'm in.

My only concern here is that the 11th is almost 3 weeks into the course, and there's bound to be quite a bit of activity before that. Using this mailing list might not be the best way to go about it... people not in the course do not want to be spammed. what you guys think? What about some kind of online study group? could also help people that are not in Dublin.
P2PU or Open Study could be a fit for this: https://p2pu.org/en/ or http://openstudy.com/

cheers,
José
Re: [Scala Enthusiasts Dublin] 98 Re: Scala Dublin Meeting: 1st week of October arac...@gmail.com 9/25/12 9:56 AM
Hi,

just came back, I have to start with the coursera materials. The study group is fine, although we could just post questions to this mail list (it needs some activity after all).