What's Next

Showing 126-256 of 256 messages
What's Next Pent 11/24/12 8:15 AM
Decision time again.

The 3 most pressing major issues currently are:

- scenes are not good enough to be used for app creation
- Tasker UI is dated
- many parts of Tasker are using deprecated APIs which will be
removed by Google at some point

I've decided that the most important issues are the last two.

I apologise sincerely to scene users for repeatedly saying I would be
working on scenes soon, and then changing my mind.

The last 2 issues are closely related, they both require updating to
modern
APIs and I have to decide which minimum Android version I'm going to
support The minimal version has to be at least 3.0 because that's
when the Holo UI was introduced. I went for 4.0 because around 70% of
Tasker users are currently at that level and ICS introduced a large
amount of major APIs.

To sum: it's going to take me at least 2 months during which there'll
be no
updates, and when I've finished, around 30% of users will only be
receiving bug fix
updates.

Most of those 30% of users will have received many major updates since
they first bought Tasker, so I don't feel I'm letting them down
hugely.

On the plus side, Tasker will match better to the OS, be smaller and
more efficient,
future proof (for a while) and able to take advantage of recent APIs
which were too complex to add while having to maintain compatibility
back to Donut (1.6).

That's all after the current beta of course.

Pent
What's Next moviejimmy 11/24/12 8:27 AM
4.0 makes sense!
Re: What's Next Wietse van Buitenen 11/24/12 9:03 AM
thanks for the heads up Pent!

I don't really care much for UI when it comes to a super functional app as Tasker but I understand other people do..
Tasker is at this point stuffed with features so <4.0 users have a very functional app which will remain to function.
I do wonder what will happen to plugins.. will newer versions of plugins remain compatible with the <4.0 Tasker version?
Re: What's Next Pent 11/24/12 9:34 AM
> I do wonder what will happen to plugins.. will newer versions of plugins
> remain compatible with the <4.0 Tasker version?

Sure.

Pent
Re: What's Next VOz 11/24/12 9:35 AM
IMHO, order is 3-1-2

P.S. plus, Run Log home screen Short Cut or even intent :-D

PPS. U R the ROCK!
What's Next GermainZ 11/24/12 9:53 AM
I guess I'm getting a new device in two months, then.
Re: What's Next baudi 11/24/12 9:54 AM
Is it your intention to maintain compatibility with existing profiles and tasks?

Re: What's Next Pent 11/24/12 11:21 AM
> Is it your intention to maintain compatibility with existing profiles and
> tasks ?

Of course, it's still the same app.

Pent
Re: What's Next Pent 11/24/12 11:21 AM
> I guess I'm getting a new device in two months, then.

The app will still be there and doing all it already does, just in
case that wasn't clear.

Pent
Re: What's Next Pent 11/24/12 11:22 AM
> IMHO, order is 3-1-2

As I said, 2 and 3 kindof go together. Also, I get loads of bad Play
Store rating due to the UI.

Pent
Re: What's Next Nixx 11/24/12 11:55 AM
Sad to hear that the scenes are last on the list :(
To me those are way more outdated then the GUI

Personally i'd find them more important then the GUI.
It's a technical program.. and as tech used I don't find it that bad.

Are you sure the PlayStore bad ratings aren't from people that lack the understand tasker properly in general?
Sure it's not the prettiest, but I'm used to work in 3ds max.. and compared to that.. tasker is modern (and that's 5K software..)

Re: What's Next GermainZ 11/24/12 12:11 PM
If I'm understanding correctly, gingerbread users will only get bug fixes. So no new features, and scenes won't be improved (a feature I really want). Correct?
Re: What's Next Nixx 11/24/12 12:43 PM
Just to get an idea of the GUI changes, you plan to change the structure or just build a new skin on top of the current structure and add a few function (groups etc) ?
It would be cool if you will build in a node-overview / flowchart system with collapsing branches. That would really make a difference in terms of structuring and overview within a huge project.

Thinking out of the box... it would be coolest if there were to be some 'offline' remote control function :)
As in: connecting your phone (and tasker) to the computer with usb and have a program (or local site) where you can edit everything on a computer screen.
Not being an emulator, but really just a remote control where you can structure and add functions your projects easier on the big screen (node view!).
Then just push play and the tasks etc will be executed on the phone.

Re: What's Next Nuno Mendes 11/24/12 4:38 PM
Bump on this :/ Alot of people won't have money to buy a new phone to run ICS... I'm with a galaxy Ace and every ICS ROM waste battery like hell plus with alot of bugs.. I'm sad since i'm GB I won't have new scene UI and new features :/
What's Next Lex 11/24/12 5:04 PM
I'm sad to hear that I'll be receiving only bugfixes from here on.  I've tried ICS several times, but a number of features I depend on just don't work or aren't available.  Renderfx in cm for night time color changing isn't available, resizing/reflowing text in webkit changed for the worse, scrolling has a weird juddering/stickiness, and a number of my more complex but useful profiles don't work.  I've decided to stick with gingerbread rather than lose so many features I depend on.

I suppose there's no way to continue to support older versions while using the newer api?

Re: What's Next VOz 11/24/12 9:40 PM
I got it first time ;) - actually order would be 321

Would Kid-Apps work on GB devices if factory works on ICS?

Re: What's Next Pent 11/24/12 11:36 PM

When I wrote 'scene users' above, I mainly meant you :-)

> Sure it's not the prettiest, but I'm used to work in 3ds max.. and compared
> to that.. tasker is modern (and that's 5K software..)

Virtually every review in magazines etc mentions the outdated UI. As I
said, I lose an awful lot of stars on Play Store for the UI too.

Pent
Re: What's Next Pent 11/24/12 11:37 PM
> If I'm understanding correctly, gingerbread users will only get bug fixes. So no new features, and scenes >won't be improved (a feature I really want). Correct?

Mostly, yes.

Pent
Re: What's Next Pent 11/24/12 11:41 PM
> Bump on this :/ Alot of people won't have money to buy a new phone to run
> ICS... I'm with a galaxy Ace and every ICS ROM waste battery like hell plus
> with alot of bugs.. I'm sad since i'm GB I won't have new scene UI and new
> features :/

You've already had a lot of new features on top of what you paid for.
You won't stay on a Galaxy Ace forever, and like most current users
you
will probably upgrade to a newer Android device.

It's forced by Google's breakneck update speed and the complexity of
Tasker.
I don't have any choice, it's not possible given the time constraints
I have
to keep everyone happy.

Pent
Re: What's Next Pent 11/24/12 11:44 PM
> Would Kid-Apps work on GB devices if factory works on ICS?

Nope, kids are based on Tasker code so won't support < ICS.

Pent
Re: What's Next Pent 11/24/12 11:47 PM
> Just to get an idea of the GUI changes, you plan to change the structure or
> just build a new skin on top of the current structure and add a few
> function (groups etc) ?

I will be focused on look and feel. Don't know what you mean by adding
functions
(groups etc).

> Thinking out of the box... it would be coolest if there were to be some
> 'offline' remote control function :)

This isn't a feature request thread :-)

There was supposed to be offline editing already this November, but
the people implementing keep pushing the date back.

Pent
Re: What's Next Nixx 11/25/12 4:45 AM

When I wrote 'scene users' above, I mainly meant you :-)

Aah :) thanks for thinking about me ;)

Virtually every review in magazines etc mentions the outdated UI. As I
said, I lose an awful lot of stars on Play Store for the UI too.

Ok, clear, I get it.

Had already considered to learn to create my own app (as that's the reason i'm using tasker) as then I'd have full control on what I want.
But on the other side.. for me to be able to do so.. i might as well just wait untill you're done with the big updates :)

I will be focused on look and feel. Don't know what you mean by adding
functions
(groups etc).

can be ignored (was thinking in node-views)

This isn't a feature request thread :-)
true :) was just going wild for a second.

There was supposed to be offline editing already this November, but
the people implementing keep pushing the date back.

nice!
Re: What's Next TonyZZ 11/25/12 8:54 AM
As a programmer I understand the need to move forward I stopped this summer including windows XP compatibility in my programs as it is dead in 2014  hopefully those on gingerbread will be able to update to ICS but even Google will stop support for older versions
Keep up the good work and thanks for an excellent app/program
Most people don't like change including myself but somethings change whether we like it or not.
Re: What's Next Cptnodegard 11/25/12 9:06 AM
Pent, are you drunk? Or have someone hijacked your account and is spewing bullshit on it?
Re: What's Next Pent 11/25/12 9:44 AM
> Pent, are you drunk? Or have someone hijacked your account and is spewing
> bullshit on it?

Hard to say whether you're referring to my OP or the one you replied
to.

In both cases you'll have to be more specific :-)

Pent
Re: What's Next Cptnodegard 11/25/12 9:56 AM
It's kinda disheartening to see that there will be two months of no useful updates, because you have to run after Google and fix what the fucking retards intentionally broke when they spent the last two years changing Android without actually improving it. I understand you need to make a living, but I really wish developers would make a stance against Google's retardation soon.
Re: What's Next Pent 11/25/12 10:02 AM
> living, but I really wish developers would make a stance against Google's
> retardation soon.

I'm way too busy to form a developer's union :-)

If I do nothing, at some point they'll remove the deprecated APIs and
Tasker will just stop working completely.. That point is likely not
too far away
since a lot of basic stuff changed a long time ago.

Pent
Re: What's Next VOz 11/25/12 10:05 AM
Unfortunately, Google and some others involves users and app-developers into survival race. While Pent make money on app he has to follow UI trend.
Re: What's Next Cptnodegard 11/25/12 10:06 AM
I know it's not realistic, but if there ever came a day where people had to choose between some of the most popular apps on Android and Android itself, I would probably smile myself to death.
Re: What's Next Pent 11/25/12 10:12 AM
BTW, could be less than 2 months, hard to say right now.

Pent
Re: What's Next electricpete 11/25/12 2:27 PM

Thanks for keeping us abreast of what is coming and why.

My opinion fwiw.

I upgraded from Froyo to GB mainly so I could use Tasker App Factory and it was well worth the effort.  I haven’t upgraded to ICS / beyond because I’ve heard on the forums about  some buggy features of Tasker on those OS’s.  I don’t foresee upgrading for  awhile after the new Tasker version because I’m not eager to rework programs that are now working.

 But I don’t by any means feel left down.  We have a great working program for GB, and it would be letting down the folks with the newer OS’s to not give them a program with the same reliability which also takes advantages of the newest capabilities available.  Pent’s got to keep up, or else he’s behind (one of my more profound thoughts today....).

Re: What's Next Rich D 11/25/12 2:56 PM

On Nov 25, 2012 5:27 PM, "electricpete" <electr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for keeping us abreast of what is coming and why.
>
> My opinion fwiw.
>
> I upgraded from Froyo to GB mainly so I could use Tasker App Factory and it was well worth the effort.  I haven’t upgraded to ICS / beyond because I’ve heard on the forums about  some buggy features of Tasker on those OS’s.  I don’t foresee upgrading for  awhile after the new Tasker version because I’m not eager to rework programs that are now working.
>
>  But I don’t by any means feel left down.  We have a great working program for GB, and it would be letting down the folks with the newer OS’s to not give them a program with the same reliability which also takes advantages of the newest capabilities available.  Pent’s got to keep up, or else he’s behind (one of my more profound thoughts today....).

My exact situation as well.... could not have said it better.....   :)

Re: What's Next Matt 11/26/12 1:21 AM
My exact situation as well.... could not have said it better.....   :)

Fairly close to me as well. Don't want to risk bricking my phone by rooting it and don't think HTC are going to give us ICS any time soon.

Still Tasker as it is is a great program as it is for GB.

I may have to unsubscribe from the group emails though, might drool on my keyboard at the new features else! :)

Matt

Re: What's Next Lee McKay 11/26/12 1:24 AM
So with the update comes a loss of pre-ICS API's. Got it. So basically, what we'll have to do is run two different versions of Tasker if we wish to continue support of pre-ICS in our kid apps?

Is it feasible to have both sets of API's that the App Factory can refer to, depending on what we set as the minimum Android version?

If not, does anyone know a way that we can have two versions of the same app (two versions of Tasker) installed on the phone? I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

My kid app works works fine right now, but I am all about new stuff. If there is a way to maintain the old, and have the new, without having to switch between different versions of Tasker, and I'm assuming App Factory as well, that would be preferable.
Re: What's Next Pent 11/26/12 1:59 AM
> So with the update comes a loss of pre-ICS API's. Got it

No, completely wrong :-)

If you're on a pre-ICS phone, the Tasker version you get will support
everything it supports now but nothing new.

If you're on a post-ICS phone, the Tasker version you get will support
everything it supports now plus anything new I add in the future.

Pent
Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 11/26/12 2:56 AM
That's awesome news Pent. Also what's exciting is that Tasker is to be featured on the next App Clinic, so this is great timing. If you need any mockups sent your way, I'm happy to give it a go.

On Saturday, 24 November 2012 16:15:34 UTC, Pent wrote:
[...]

unk...@googlegroups.com 11/26/12 3:24 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: What's Next GermainZ 11/26/12 4:30 AM
This isn't a feature request thread ;)

You could look into the getintent/sendintent shell commands.

On Monday, November 26, 2012 1:24:04 PM UTC+2, Sergio wrote:
I would like to ask for a new feature.
If it is at all possible to do it.
And if Pent can find the time.

What I would really like to have, is a "macro recording" feature. Something very similar to what exists in MSExcel that records all clicks and actions done on a spreadsheet and presents a macro to replicate everything.
I would use this capability to "record" a series of menu open and button click actions, that I can then translate into a Taker task, adding any condition or if / else that I need.
I.E.: record and transform into a task the very long "menu -> settings -> else -> USB settings -> connect -> (insert USB) -> connect -> OK" list of clicks that I need to do on my SGS2 non rooted Android 4.0.3 every time I want to use the SD card as a mass storage device, being seen by my PC with a drive letter (E: / F:) assigned.

Thanks.

PS: In case anybody has already found a solution for this, please post it !
Re: What's Next Cptnodegard 11/26/12 5:18 AM
My phone is rooted, has official updates that I could use, and custom ROMs I could install.
Whether or not I'm going to.... kinda doubt it. There would have to be some seriously impressive features added in ICS only Tasker for me to bother. Turning scenes into widgets, anyone?
It would also be a bit interesting to see what would happen if I kept releasing a guide to the GB version of Tasker and ignored the ICS version completely.
Re: What's Next Pent 11/26/12 5:43 AM
> That's awesome news Pent. Also what's exciting is that Tasker is to be
> featured on the next App Clinic, so this is great timing. If you need any
> mockups sent your way, I'm happy to give it a go.

What I'm puzzling about is how to handle dragging present projects
with the action bar sitting at the top of the screen.

Pent
Re: What's Next Pent 11/26/12 5:48 AM
> Whether or not I'm going to.... kinda doubt it

I expect you will... otherwise you'll be writing about old tech that
no one has anymore.

As I wrote, 70% of Tasker users have ICS+ already.  Of which 6.5% have
4.2 already!

I know, I know, you don't believe the stats :-)

Pent
Re: What's Next Dave F 11/26/12 6:00 AM
Not sure if its feasible, but could you do some UI betas (without any Tasker functionality), to get some feedback ? Might (or not) help you with some decisions.
Re: What's Next TomL 11/26/12 6:30 AM
Ditto here, I'm stuck on GB, at least until my phone contract runs out.

While I envy the API features that are beyond GB, I guess Tasker already has a lot of features that are dependent on OS version, like keyguard, kill app, etc.

Thanks for the heads up.  If nothing else, I guess we have the tools to create plug-ins to build our own features into Tasker.

Tom
Re: What's Next Pent 11/27/12 10:32 AM
Good news, having spent some time with the new APIs it may be possible
to produce a holo feel while maintaining compatibility (at least back
to 2.0+) and not adding too much extra work. The ICS+ version may not
be quite so polished as it would otherwise be, but probably good
enough.

No promises :-)

Pent
Re: What's Next GermainZ 11/27/12 10:44 AM
That is amazing :o
Re: What's Next Lex 11/27/12 10:47 AM
Whoa, that's awesome and unexpected news!  I, for one, would be willing to kick in to cover the extra time you'll spend.
Re: What's Next Nuno Mendes 11/27/12 1:53 PM
You kidding? Are you sure it work again with gingerbread? oh my gosh :o I was really really sad and started thinking on dropping all my kid app projects, including dropping Tasker within my small company, since i can't pay the $ of 10+ phones that can handle ICS :), wasn't a good investment since the crisis we face nowadays :) And Tasker really helps this company running ;) If thats true, it will be the best news ever!
Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 11/27/12 2:09 PM
Not sure if it helps, but the open source (and readily available on Git) resources Sliding Menu (for having Projects in a side panel like Youtube does subscription channels), Actionbar Sherlock (for the action bar and view pager) and the Android ViewPager Indicator (for navigation between Profiles, Tasks, Scenes and Variables) all offer backwards compatibility to provide you with a unified look but remaining fully functional both pre-Honeycomb and post-Honeycomb.
Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 11/27/12 2:20 PM
I would recommend putting Projects in a side bar, though I'm not sure how much you can interact with them. But it would allow them to be out of the way and a few apps have adopted the sidebar to great success. If you are able to drag content in the sidebar, then you'd be able to keep the list out of way except for when the user wants them. Also in list form, which is a easier user interaction for users with lots of Projects, that would then enable you to either have the Action Bar simply be Tasker's home and have the profiles, tasks, etc in a swipeable (left to profiles, right to scenes) ViewPageer below. That would be my recommendation. However you could also have a spinner in the Action Bar that would allow users to choose project. That however introduces issues like space consumption in the Action Bar given the project title.
Re: What's Next Rich D 11/27/12 2:39 PM

> Good news, having spent some time with the new APIs it may be possible
> to produce a holo feel while maintaining compatibility (at least back
> to 2.0+)

Good news???  That's GREAT news..!!!

You must have got wind of the Gingerbread Union we were forming...

                                                    :-)

Re: What's Next Nuno Mendes 11/27/12 2:44 PM
Pent, read the posts above! Its true :) Youtube has a cool visual(GB version) and still feels like ICS :)
Re: What's Next Matt 11/28/12 1:11 AM
Ok this is very good news! (I know I know no promises but still I'll allow myself a little woo!)

Matt

On Tuesday, 27 November 2012 18:32:17 UTC, Pent wrote:
Re: What's Next Pent 11/28/12 9:55 AM
Seems it will take less than 2 months as well :-)

Pent
Re: What's Next Nuno Mendes 11/28/12 11:45 AM
If you can ask the devs of Tasks ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.teamtasks.tasks.paid&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNoLnRlYW10YXNrcy50YXNrcy5wYWlkIl0. )
email: tasks....@gmail.com

They use a pretty neat, simple and superb ICS feel, while it has GB compatiblity :)
Re: What's Next Pent 11/28/12 11:00 PM
> They use a pretty neat, simple and superb ICS feel, while it has GB
> compatiblity :)

That's in no way comparable to the functionality that the Tasker UI
has to offer.

Pent
Re: What's Next Bob Findlay 11/29/12 2:10 AM
you can't please everyone.

IMHO if people are sticking with an older version of their operating system, they should be prepared to stick with an older version of apps like tasker too.  with it being so closely bound to the OS, I don't consider that unreasonable.

Just my 2p worth
Re: What's Next GermainZ 11/29/12 5:30 AM
True, although not all devices support the latest versions of android.
Re: What's Next Michael Stephenson 11/29/12 2:16 PM
Phew! I feel so relieved that you are at least considering giving us 2.0+ users (I'm on Froyo) a reprieve. I'm no Luddite regarding newer Android versions, it's just that I love my 3G tablet and if I had to upgrade I'd have to go for a WiFi only tablet due to cost considerations.
Please, please, please don't throw us into the cold to die sad, lonely deaths Pent! :-p

Regards, Michael
Re: What's Next Cptnodegard 11/29/12 5:36 PM
Definitely good news there. I had pretty much resigned myself to leaving the Tasker community when the new update hit, as ICS+ is simply way too shitty for me to bother messing up a perfectly working phone to deal with it, especially now that I'm back to one Android device. I've had both ICS and JB on another device, and that just confirmed what I knew about shit breaking and no benefits gained.
Re: What's Next Michael Stephenson 11/29/12 5:50 PM
Couldn't agree more. Though I understand the need for a dev to look to the future,  the fact is there are a lot of die-hard pre-ICS users out there.
One day I will upgrade, either through necessity or because a REAL *improvement* comes along! But please don't bury us 'til we're dead! More than anything else it's discourteous to us Luddites ;-p
Re: What's Next Rich D 11/29/12 6:17 PM

It appears to me that a overwhelming number of posters on this group are pre-ICS.  You can probably come up with several different reasons for this but I just thought it noteworthy ........   :)

Rich...

Re: What's Next Dave Disser 11/29/12 6:59 PM

I agree with the priorities. I've been meaning to make a car dock, but after spending about half an hour playing with scenes, it was pretty clear to me that web view is the way to go for UIs.

Re: What's Next Pent 11/29/12 11:11 PM
I havn't tested on a pre-ICS device yet but it's looking like
maintaining compatibility while keeping a migration path to native-iCS
will be easier than I thought. There are going to be some
difficulties, but there would be those also if I abandoned pre-ICS
(including adding bugfixes to the pre-ICS source).

Might have a prototype-for-comments beta in a couple of weeks.

Pent
Re: What's Next Cptnodegard 11/30/12 12:56 AM
I feel like Pent is being left with a hard choice here, being asked to choose between evolving Tasker to keep it relevant and not annoy a few core users. I would understand the decision to drop GB support, however, I'm simply not going to break my phone by slapping some god awful update it doesn't need onto it. Not without an extremely revolutionary new feature, a feature that somehow manages to provide more value to ICS than anything Google has put into Android in two years. I don't see that being very likely, though if anything can provide that sort of carrot, it's Tasker.

It's interesting that both iOS and Android are now at a point where people avoid the latest update because it's shit. Yey for going backwards....
Re: What's Next Matt 11/30/12 1:28 AM
"I feel like Pent is being left with a hard choice here"

Yup, I couldn't get any Android version higher than 2.3 on my phone without rooting it, and I rely on it too much to risk crashes / lockups etc if I c*ck it up... So to get a new android version I'd have to get a new phone and whilst mine is working I doubt that'll get past the chancellor (my better half!)

Having said all that though there will almost certainly come a time when Tasker needs to move on, that's not Pent's fault, if anyone is to blame then it's Google for not maintaining compatibility... It would be brill if that time was not yet though :)

Anyway I'll stop waffling and do some work now!

MattV
Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 11/30/12 1:55 AM

That doesn't happen.

Re: What's Next Nuno Mendes 12/2/12 3:55 PM
Any news Pent?:)

Re: What's Next Pent 12/2/12 10:55 PM

> Any news Pent?:)

Yes, the news is that it's a real time-consuming and tedious pain to
convert hundreds of dialogs from an API where the code is spread all
over the source file to one where all the code is all in one place :-)

On the other hand, the action bar concept is growing on me (not
literally).

Pent
Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/3/12 2:18 AM

BTW Pent, did you see that Tasker was featured on The App Clinic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTqRGSxOtlo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Re: What's Next Cptnodegard 12/3/12 6:14 AM
It's also in the newest issue of Android Magazine. Just a tiny story though
Re: What's Next Pent 12/3/12 7:40 AM
Sugar, the standard number picker widget didn't get into the SDK till
Honeycomb.

Pent
Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/3/12 7:42 AM
Here you go: https://github.com/SimonVT/android-numberpicker
--
Until Next Time, Make Me A Marvel!
Re: What's Next Pent 12/3/12 8:06 AM
> Here you go:https://github.com/SimonVT/android-numberpicker

Good find, but have to consider if the extra file size and integration
effort
is worth it.

Will probably just leave the number pickers as-is until I can finally
dump Gingerbread support.

Pent
Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/3/12 8:10 AM

While I abhor the current number picker, it's totally understandable. Do whatever you need to do to put out the product you're happy with.

Re: What's Next Adamx 12/3/12 10:01 AM
I just wanted to throw in my two cents here, that I think Pent's made the right decision with regard to going after the ratings. Current users have already paid, Pent needs new customers to make money. If he can turn those rating frown upside-down with an improved UI, that means more new customers for him, and as a byproduct, new features for us current users.

The fact that Pent has so much concern for his current users really is fantastic. For about $6, you're not just buying what Tasker currently has, you're buying all kinds of future goodies too that Pent adds in. Pent doesn't charge you extra for those! At least until he figures out in-app purchasing maybe. ;)

Adam
Re: What's Next Pent 12/3/12 10:35 AM
> At least until he figures out in-app purchasing maybe. ;)

What's that ? Sounds interesting :-)

Pent
Re: What's Next Nuno Mendes 12/3/12 12:40 PM
Maybe he means like, if you want to us elets say, "Cell Near" actio you need to pay x€ so you unlock it. Those kind of things that people when they buy the product, they stay angry to see the product is not fully unlocked :P
Btw i would suggest you to make promotions with Tasker. Like its coming christmas, a 25% discount or smth. Normally that attarcts clients.
About user interface, yes Tasker doesn't have a futurustic or "clean-ICS" styled, but I guarantee you that isn't why people don't buy it. Actually Tasker UI is just different, and I agree a more ICS style would make Tasker a bit cooler, but who buys Tasker, they buy cause whats in the package, not what the package looks like. I'm talking on a enterprise way of view ;) Your product is alot advertised out there, and the 40% of people that uses Android itensively(roots it, mod it etc) knows Tasker and knows what hes capable off, and they not using another program for sure because of the visual lol:D

Too long to read: Tasker will always be Tasker on the inside, and thats why people use it. Cheers on your awsome work, furthermore with the one and only Pent working alone on it.
Thats my 2cents.
Re: What's Next Michael Stephenson 12/3/12 2:00 PM
I bought tasker because reviews claimed it could be utilised to do just about anything. Despite an extensive knowledge of basic (in the '80's!) and a lot of javascripting/website design, I found it difficult to get to grips with at first and nearly gave up! Boy am I glad I persevered! Now I've replaced a lot of my apps with Tasker scripts ("recipes" yuk!) and Tasker is absolutely the "Must Have" app for ANY Droid(rooted).

Now I'll get to my point :-P I don't care about the UI, I don't care if Pent wants an annual fee for use of Tasker (My suggestion, not his - He's never mentioned further fees.) But please don't abandon us users of older OS's. I'm no Luddite and I'm no old fart wanting to live in the past (WinBlows 8 being installed as we speak) but Droid gets updated too often, usually with (many) detrimental effects, and also I'm happy with my FroYo tablet (just as I'm happy with my Amiga) :-P  Just because Droid keeps updating is no reason to forget the squillions of us who don't wan't/can't afford to up(down)grade.

Please Pent, do your best to bring in new features for ALL of us .

Regards, Mike
Re: What's Next GermainZ 12/3/12 2:07 PM
Read what Pent posted a few posts back. :)
Re: What's Next Pent 12/3/12 11:06 PM
> Might have a prototype-for-comments beta in a couple of weeks.

Turns out that was optimistic, I'm running into a lot of hidden work.
Hopefully I can
get a prototype out for Christmas :-)

Pent
Re: What's Next Pent 12/4/12 9:15 AM
> Not sure if it helps, but the open source (and readily available on Git)
> resources Sliding Menu (for having Projects in a side panel like Youtube
> does subscription channels),

I tried SlidingMenu for projects. Nice, but doesn't allow things to be
dragged
around while the menu is showing unfortunately, so project refiling
would have
to be via long-click-and-select, which is a step backwards I think.

Pent
Re: What's Next Rich D 12/4/12 9:33 AM

> I tried SlidingMenu for projects. Nice, but doesn't allow things to be
> dragged
> around while the menu is showing unfortunately, so project refiling
> would have
> to be via long-click-and-select, which is a step backwards I think.

In my opinion ( for what that is worth....) I think a long click and select would be better on the small screens (I do not own a tablet).  I find the drag and drop to be cumbersome because you can only drag so far  then if you wait for the scroll it will usually que up and get difficult .. and my thumb is sometimes blocking where the drop will be.  So a long press and paste would be more accurate as well... with 'flick to scroll' I think it would be faster when moving many places..  just My humble opinion...

Rich....

Re: What's Next Rich D 12/4/12 9:34 AM

Forgot to mention it would do away with all the false moves.. :)

Re: What's Next Pent 12/4/12 9:56 AM
Hmm, doesn't seem to accept any input when open, just closes the menu.

Think I have an old version somehow, the setTouchModeBehind function
is missing too.

Have to admit I'm a bit lost with git :-)

Pent
Re: What's Next Unicyclist 12/4/12 10:12 AM
I would be very disappointed to see you go, Cptnodegard. You have helped me with many Tasker projects that I struggled with on my own.

On another note, Pent does need to make money on Tasker. I paid just $6 for it a long time ago. I still get to use the app, AND I get continuous updates, making the app worth much more than I paid for it. I once asked Pent if there were a way I could donate, and he suggested I purchase a direct download license. I bought 3! For the amount of usefulness I get from Tasker, I would pay $50+ and still feel like I got a good deal. Even my wife (who doesn't even know how to change her own ringtones) can see how much we use Tasker on a daily basis, and agrees that it is worth much more than the ~$6 I originally paid for it.

Each of us knows how much work Pent has done for us, and how much we love Tasker, and all for $5.

Thank you Pent. Keep up the good work.

Re: What's Next Michael Stephenson 12/4/12 10:23 AM

I myself would vote to keep drag and drop. I've never had any issues with it since setting drag area to left-most side. However, I am on a tablet and therefore don't experience the problems you have.

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Re: What's Next Pent 12/4/12 11:10 AM
Looks like I won't be able to use SlideMenu for projects. I emailed
the author, the builtin behaviour of SlideMenu now is that when the
menu is showing no interaction is possible with the content view on
the right. Shame, I think that limits
its usefulness quite a lot.

Pent
Re: What's Next Cptnodegard 12/4/12 1:17 PM

I would be very disappointed to see you go, Cptnodegard. You have helped me with many Tasker projects that I struggled with on my own.

Thanks, but even if Tasker continues to support GB, I am - and will be - posting less about Tasker than I have. The projects I'm currently working on now is way beyond what can be covered in a beginner's guide, and I've realized that it's not possible to post any advanced profiles and expect only advanced users to go for them - beginners expect there to be a step by step guide for everything. I can't explain how everything works together in projects that have hundreds of actions, which means I'm starting to have very little to write about, as that's what not I do in Tasker these days. I also get anywhere from a couple to a couple of dozen of what's essentially support requests about Tasker each day, in comments, email, twitter, etc. While it's nice to see that sort of response, I've had to start turning those away to focus on other things.

Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/4/12 3:16 PM

Tasker was also featured on Android Design in Action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF8uvG2Onuw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Re: What's Next Amer 12/4/12 10:04 PM
Yes, you can read the article here:  http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12/04/what-taskers-ui-could-be-as-imagined-by-the-android-team-video/
Re: What's Next Pent 12/4/12 10:32 PM
> Yes, you can read the article here:  http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12/04/what-taskers-ui-could-be-as-i...

Heh, that's timely, will have a watch later, thanks for the link.

Pent
Re: What's Next dgwood12 12/4/12 10:41 PM
I just watched this video and read the article on android police. Don't get me wrong pent, I appreciate all the hard work that you have done with tasker and I understand the lack of improvements to the UI. You have devoted your time to improving functionality and I am grateful for all the improvements you have brought to Tasker. I do think that a UI design would open up the door to a larger variety of people. I personally have talked to a handful of people that have been turned off from tasker due to the learning curve. I think that the UI they designed in the video is beautiful, simple and would be a great way to make Tasker more user friendly.
Re: What's Next GermainZ 12/4/12 11:11 PM
The theme is so bright in that video. And I doubt they used Tasker for more than a few minutes, because that UI is even more confusing (although it would look better than the current Tasker UI in dark, that I admit) than the current UI if you ask me.
Re: What's Next GermainZ 12/4/12 11:14 PM
Re-reading my post, I think that came a bit harsh.

What I meant is, as a user who uses Tasker a lot, I would be utterly lost if that exact UI would be given to me.
Especially the lists (task actions list, contexts list, etc...), all of them seem like one block to me and I couldn't distinguish what is what. Also, replacing the actions with the search function wouldn't work for me... I still usually always get the wrong keyword when searching, and quite frankly, I sometimes like tinkering around the menus to find what I want rather than knowing what I want from the start.
Re: What's Next VOz 12/5/12 12:01 AM
DO NOT look at this piece of sh....
That's nub's vision of stupid UI with couple of profiles and contexts in it!
Yeah! Looks smooth and clever but You can't to see overall.
why should I type Action's name instead of couple of taps on category->Action button?!

Excuse me but it's iOSing of UI.

среда, 5 декабря 2012 г., 10:32:59 UTC+4 пользователь Pent написал:
Re: What's Next Amer 12/5/12 12:18 AM

I have to admit the part about learning curve there, most of the people I suggest to use Tasker will usually said it's not so easy to use. Most of them will ask for step by step instructions from me.

But I'm not really sure the problem is in UI also. Maybe it's just lack of tutorial in the beginning or something.

--
√ HTC Evo 3D
√ Android ICS 4.0.3

Re: What's Next 10amla 12/5/12 2:42 AM

On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:01:51 AM UTC-8, Vladimir Oz wrote:

why should I type Action's name instead of couple of taps on category->Action button?!

The problem is when you don't know what category the action resides.  I've occasionally had difficulty finding an action even after using tasker for months. That  approach, the option to use that approach, or as part of beginner mode might be useful.
Re: What's Next VOz 12/5/12 3:03 AM
anyway, unless You've read man and learn Actions exact names You can't spell and type them correct, right? I think it is.
So, man sould be structured by categories as they appears in UI.

Sure, as part of searching, that approach is useful and was suggested in case of User's Task or Variables search - when we're using looking glass button and scrolling through ton of tasks or vars.

Imaging, that I can correct task or run some actions while standing in traffic mess. blah-blah

среда, 5 декабря 2012 г., 14:42:38 UTC+4 пользователь 10amla написал:
Re: What's Next Cptnodegard 12/5/12 3:04 AM
I could only be assed looking at the screenshots from that article, but it looked pretty horrible. First off, the UI itself was ugly. Straight up ugly. The screenshots show mute/unmute all over the UI. Since when do single actions have any business being visible at profile level? How the living fuck will my tasks with several dozen actions then look?

IMHO, you should throw a cease and desist order at them and get the entire video taken down. Having a video out there that is completely unrealistic as to how it works serves no one
Re: What's Next Pent 12/5/12 3:04 AM
I watched both the videos and there were some nice ideas which I will
keep in mind while moving to holo.

I found the design video a bit simplistic. For the main screen, they
didn't have anything about reordering items or refiling items in
projects, how to show projects etc. i.e. the difficult parts. The nice
Switch widget they had (which I also like) I can't include without a
lot of backwards compatibility work.

The 'don't allow editing on the first screen' i.e. have a separate
profile edit screen, is how I used to have it. The App Clinic video
was against having several depths of configuration...

Pent
Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/5/12 3:10 AM

The idea is that you can navigate as per normal, so through categories bit typing would filter the list. It's really the best of both worlds. I really suggest you go back and watch both the App Clinic video and the Android Design in Action video again. Watching both will give you context.

Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/5/12 3:15 AM

Thanks for watching both videos. Ultimately all they can hope to do is give you some ideas. Some ideas did require fleshing out more but it's a good start that gives you something positive to think about as you attempt to evolve Tasker.

Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/5/12 3:18 AM

Probably the most immature post I've seen in this group. You are a legend around these parts and that post wasn't worthy of your name. I understand that you're opposed to change but it'll come anyway.

Re: What's Next Cptnodegard 12/5/12 3:22 AM
"um we're not really going to talk about scenes because I didn't get what that is"

How the fuck are you allowed to release a design video through official channels when you don't even know that the app you're doing the UI design for has a built in UI design editor?

The fact that these retards work at google explains why the last two versions of Android have had nothing useful in them whatsoever
unk...@googlegroups.com 12/5/12 3:26 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/5/12 3:28 AM

These aren't official channels. They happen to work at Google and be design enthusiasts. The basic requirement for working at Google is that you're an engineer. Roman has written a good few resources/libraries and made them available on Github. The fact that Scenes confuse him to such a degree only goes to underline the point about an excessively steep learning curve.

I'm a diehard Tasker enthusiast. To the point I myself recently redesigned the logo to give it a modern day Android feel. And yet, even I can say that Scenes are daunting. Search this group, how many users say Web views are easier. These guys are only trying to be helpful. Certainly nothing to warrant a cease and desist.

Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/5/12 3:30 AM

Of course he cares hence the semi-hiatus. Does he care as much as me? No! Does he care more than you? Yes!

On Dec 5, 2012 11:26 AM, "Cptnodegard" <andreas...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm not opposed to change. I'm opposed to thousands of people watching an official Google video and thinking that the only reason why Pent hasn't already done this is, and I quote a comment I actually saw in the comment section, "he doesn't care" - because the video just ignores the more intricate parts of the app completely.
Re: What's Next dlx29 12/5/12 4:04 AM
Pent, thank you for continuing to improve your product and keeping it up to date. I know it's a lot of work!
Re: What's Next Rich D 12/5/12 4:23 AM

Both videos obviously are a very simplistic view of a very complex app. They do have a 'couple ' of nice ideas. I personally do not need a bunch of Slippy,slidey, flashy,Spinney,cool looking things to use a technical app such as tasker ( I would simply play angry birds all day if that were case)
Although I do recognize the need for pent to include these to please the masses. He has a very difficult task to balance function with appearance. In my opinion it is a shame he needs to spend this much time on such things when i feel the same time spent on better and more intuitive instructions would actually hook more users. If they want something simple with Slippy,slidey, flashy,Spinney,cool looking things they should stay with 'Smart Actions'     :)

Rich.....

Re: What's Next Bob Findlay 12/5/12 4:24 AM
Oh Pent.  I bet you're wishing you hadn't asked! ;-)

for what it's worth, as a new user, here are my thoughts on tasker - this is all from using it on a phone, so small screen

  • finding actions is really hard to start with.  a search would be great.  perhaps you could work it so there's both ways available?
  • I find it irritating when I have a 1 action task, having to create the task rather than just put the action straight in.  however I can see it might be ultra confusing to do anything else
  • several times I've moved an action when I wanted to scroll the page.  on a complex set of nested ifs, it can be really hard to work out where it came from
  • I think there may be a bug?  if I modify an action and then click X to exit tasker it says "confirm cancel" "you have made some changes".  so I click X to abort the exit, but it exits anyway
  • when debugging it would be really useful to be able to see local variables.  i've had to write code using global variables to see what's going on, but it's  a real pain to go back and change them all back again
  • developing complexish tasks on the small screen is really painful.  some sort of emulator or dev environment for the pc would be great.  i did look into  VNC for the phone, but it looks like you can only do that if you root it and I'm trying to avoid rooting my phone as some apps detect it and won't run
  • perhaps I've missed the easy way to do this, but sometimes I want to activate a profile manually, at the moment I have to go into tasker, find the profile, click on the task and then run it.  I know I can do a link to individual ones on the home screen, but I'd like to be able to access any of the profiles.
  • Search tasker doesn't seem to search built-in variables, so is not comprehensive enough for the beginner to find what they want
I think a lot of people find tasker too complicated, not because of the UI, but because it's a sophisticated tool that requires understanding of programming concepts.  don't forget, that the majority of people have no clue what a variable is, let alone the subtle difference between a local and a global one!  I'm not convinced that a friendlier UI will help a non-computer-literate person overly to be honest.

just my 2p
Re: What's Next Cptnodegard 12/5/12 4:40 AM

Although I do recognize the need for pent to include these to please the masses. He has a very difficult task to balance function with appearance. In my opinion it is a shame he needs to spend this much time on such things when i feel the same time spent on better and more intuitive instructions would actually hook more users. If they want something simple with Slippy,slidey, flashy,Spinney,cool looking things they should stay with 'Smart Actions'     :)

This is essentially the politically correct version of my opinion as well. I'm just not very politically correct. The problem is that when a video comes out of Google that looks at everything this black and white, you'll have people running around whining about Pen not "just doing it like that".
Re: What's Next Rich D 12/5/12 4:41 AM

> for what it's worth, as a new user, here are my thoughts on tasker - this is all from using it on a phone, so small screen

Wow... you said it so much better ( I just posted on the other thread)

I absolutely agree with everything you said ....

> I think a lot of people find tasker too complicated, not because of the UI, but because it's a sophisticated tool that requires understanding of programming concepts.  don't forget, that the majority of people have no clue what a variable is, let alone the subtle difference between a local and a global one!  I'm not convinced that a friendlier UI will help a non-computer-literate person overly to be honest.

My exact thoughts....  I think better and more intuitive ( non technical ) instructions would be huge.....

Re: What's Next Pent 12/5/12 6:09 AM
Sorry pre-ICS people, I've hit a road block and I'm not going to be
able to keep pre-ICS backwards compatibility.

The problem relates to support for Google maps, they havn't given
complete backwards compatibility. I can show a map but in the same
activity (scene edit, location edit) I can't use the backwards-
compatibility library for the new style dialogs as well as the 3rd
Party backwards-compatibility library for the action bar.

It may be possible with the just-released Google Maps API v2, but then
I have to wait for it's (maybe) integration into the 3rd Party
compatibility library and spend a good while converting Tasker good to
the v2 API, which is dramatically different from the v1 API.

Sorry that I lifted your hopes a few pages back, it seemed back then
that everything was doable. I've spent a lot of hours trying to keep
backwards compatibility. In the end, if Google had supplied the
libraries it would have been possible.

So we're back to the pre-ICS people only getting bugfixes I'm afraid.

Pent
Re: What's Next Rich D 12/5/12 6:34 AM

> Sorry pre-ICS people, I've hit a road block and I'm not going to be
> able to keep pre-ICS backwards compatibility.

This is a sad day.....   :(

> Sorry that I lifted your hopes a few pages back, it seemed back then
> that everything was doable. I've spent a lot of hours trying to keep
> backwards compatibility.

We can't say you did not try......

In the end, if Google had supplied the
> libraries it would have been possible.

And this is surprising to who????

> So we're back to the pre-ICS people only getting bugfixes I'm afraid.

Thank you for your continued support in this area....

BUG REPORT / pre ICS version of tasker----

Scenes are difficult to work with and need a major upgrade.....  :)

Re: What's Next Unicyclist 12/5/12 6:56 AM
I agree completely. When scenes first came out, I did not get it at all. One weekend I just dove in. The first scene I made looked like crap. Then it got better. Now I have both simple & intricate scenes, with multiple changing parts, that are more suited for my uses.

As for the UI: apart from scenes, Tasker is supposed to work IN THE BACKGROUND. It doesn't matter how it looks, a long as it works!

Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/5/12 7:04 AM
If you look at apps that are all about WYSIWYG editing (MYCW, UCCW,
ZWP, Minimalistic Text, etc, etc) it's pretty much an area of
confusion and hardship. The best and most accurate I've used thus far
is Make Your Clock Widget. But there are loads out there like Ultimate
Custom Clock Widget and Zooper Widget Pro that have tried hard to get
it right. I personally believe we as the greater Android community
need greater guidance in regards to WYSIWYG from Google. Either way,
it's going to be no small task to get something like Scene right. I
can imagine it will continue to be a work in progress for a while.

On 5 December 2012 14:56, Unicyclist <unic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree completely. When scenes first came out, I did not get it at all. One weekend I just dove in. The first scene I made looked like crap. Then it got better. Now I have both simple & intricate scenes, with multiple changing parts, that are more suited for my uses.
>
> As for the UI: apart from scenes, Tasker is supposed to work IN THE BACKGROUND. It doesn't matter how it looks, a long as it works!

--
Until Next Time, Make Me A Marvel!
Re: What's Next Jeff 12/5/12 7:36 AM
Pent,

You might want to take a look at this video that the Android Team has put out specifically about Tasker and the UI more fitted for Android 4.0+

http://youtu.be/TF8uvG2Onuw

Jeff
Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/5/12 7:37 AM

It's been posted in here a couple times and he even posted to say he's seen it and the App Clinic video.

Re: What's Next M.V. 12/5/12 8:54 AM
please, pretty please, do the UI update and implement the design from the google's app clinic. i haven't really touched tasker, because of it's atrocious UI. i'd love to create some quick tasks, but right now i have to vomit and will quickly abandon doing something with tasker...
Re: What's Next Saiful Islam 12/5/12 8:58 AM
Did you see the video that Android Design Team made? :D http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/12/04/what-taskers-ui-could-be-as-imagined-by-the-android-team-video

On Saturday, November 24, 2012 8:15:34 PM UTC+4, Pent wrote:
[...]

Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/5/12 9:15 AM
Please refrain from being rude. A lot of work has gone into Tasker for a long time and whether the UI is outdated or not, at one time it was in line with what many people considered to be Android. Tasker's UI will evolve to fall in line with the design guidelines. Those design guidelines had behind them, a lot more resources than Pent could ever hope to muster and as a result, he will heed them as much as possible as he makes his decisions regarding the UI. But being rude and disrespectful about the fact he opted to keep the code base relevant and as bug free as possible over smaller superficial changes is unacceptable.
Re: What's Next Scott Almond 12/5/12 9:31 AM
As long as we get a dark theme, I'll be happy. Please dont just leave us with the garish bright white interface. To be honest the current UI is great. The fact that you can color tasker however you want means you can achieve a semi-Holo look right now.

RBX
Re: What's Next Paul [sabret00the] 12/5/12 9:43 AM
As of ICS, themeing has really become much simpler in terms of
inheriting the system defaults. So doing things like allowing custom
theme editing may not be in the best benefit of Pent's time as a
whole. Personally I'd be in favour of a Default (much like the one
suggested but with something other than white as the main colour), a
Holo Light and a Holo Dark. Nonetheless t would be interesting to see
the analytics regarding how many users customise colours.
Re: What's Next Rich D 12/5/12 10:00 AM

> please, pretty please,

Yup, that should do it....

do the UI update and implement the design from the google's app clinic. i haven't really touched tasker,

You have no idea what you are missing..

because of it's atrocious UI.

Really??  How many years ago did ICS come out?? ( oh yea, that's right it has only been months....)

i'd love to create some quick tasks,

Please see 'Smart Actions' I think they have exactly what you are looking for...

but right now i have to vomit

Please vomit elsewhere ....

Re: What's Next Pent 12/5/12 10:17 AM
> As of ICS, themeing has really become much simpler in terms of
> inheriting the system defaults. So doing things like allowing custom
> theme editing may not be in the best benefit of Pent's time as a
> whole. Personally I'd be in favour of a Default (much like the one
> suggested but with something other than white as the main colour), a
> Holo Light and a Holo Dark. Nonetheless t would be interesting to see
> the analytics regarding how many users customise colours.

Yes, I'll probably just have a small selection of themes and dump the
detailed colour customizations.

Pent
Re: What's Next Pent 12/5/12 10:18 AM
Thanks for your knowledgable input BTW Paul.

Pent
Re: What's Next Matt 12/5/12 12:07 PM
On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 14:09:11 UTC, Pent wrote:
Sorry pre-ICS people, I've hit a road block and I'm not going to be
able to keep pre-ICS backwards compatibility.

Doh! Ah well thanks for all your hard work in trying :)
Re: What's Next A Google User 12/6/12 9:04 PM

Suggestion (if not already done/in the works)
Action based on Galaxy Note S-Pen removal and insertion.
Re: What's Next Amer 12/7/12 1:24 AM

As I recall, Pent already stated that it would be best not to develop something base on only to specific device. Cmiiw

Re: What's Next Lucius Hilley 12/7/12 11:56 PM
I have a Galaxy Note and generally avoid the S-pen. I just don't need it. I would like a search function for actions.
Would be nice when it displays the action I want, to also inform which category I can later find it. Clicking the category and then action is much quicker than searching every time.
Re: What's Next Pent 12/8/12 3:11 AM
> I have a Galaxy Note and generally avoid the S-pen. I just don't need it. I would like a search function for actions.

I'll probably put that in. However, Menu / Search Tasker should
already show them (although without category, will look at that).

Pent