south and django 1.3.1

Showing 1-3 of 3 messages
south and django 1.3.1 Jan Vilhuber 12/23/11 3:54 PM
I manage some django tables with south as well, and was just experimenting with 1.3.1 which I hope to switch to very soon.

As with most custom types, I needed to add:

from south.modelsinspector import add_introspection_rules
add_introspection_rules([], ["^django\.contrib\.auth\.models\.Foo"])

Now when I start my app, I get:
  File "/Users/vilhuber/src/nukona/git/Django/django/contrib/auth/", line 590, in <module>
    from south.modelsinspector import add_introspection_rules
  File "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/South-0.7.3-py2.6.egg/south/", line 17, in <module>
    from django.contrib.contenttypes import generic
  File "/Users/vilhuber/src/nukona/git/Django/django/contrib/contenttypes/", line 13, in <module>
    from django.contrib.admin.options import InlineModelAdmin, flatten_fieldsets
  File "/Users/vilhuber/src/nukona/git/Django/django/contrib/admin/", line 6, in <module>
    from django.contrib.admin.sites import AdminSite, site
  File "/Users/vilhuber/src/nukona/git/Django/django/contrib/admin/", line 3, in <module>
    from django.contrib.admin import ModelAdmin, actions
ImportError: cannot import name actions

If I remove the instrospection rule and import, it starts fine, but then of course schemamigration complains.

What's the right way to do this? Is there a way I can detect if this is being included as part of a schememigration, i.e. a conditional include?

Re: south and django 1.3.1 Andrew Godwin 12/24/11 9:51 AM
I'm not sure why that's failing - looks weirldy like a circular import issue.

Is it just the import that does this, or the call as well?

Jan Vilhuber <> wrote:
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "South Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group at
Re: south and django 1.3.1 Jeremy Dunck 12/24/11 10:31 AM
It looks like you've modified Django auth to depend on south? Don't do that; nearly everything depends eventually on auth, and that will cause you lots of pain.