Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP

Showing 1-26 of 26 messages
Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Florian Beer 5/22/12 6:52 AM
Hello,
I've spent hours reading docs & searching the web, but although I'm not new to SSO implementations in general, I can't figure out how to get SimpleSAMLphp to talk to an  ADFS 2.0 IdP. Can someone please fill me in on what steps need to be taken and what information exactly I need from the identity service provider, so I can at least test my configuration with the provided test site (simplesaml/module.php/core/authenticate.php)?

Did I miss any documentation on this topic, or is it really the case, that most of the docs are written with far too much knowledge about that particular framework implied, so it's utterly impossible to produce a working example for someone who isn't a contributor to SimpleSAMLphp?

Just for clarification my set up is as follows:
- PHP Application on local server
- Microsoft ADFS 2.0 Authentication on a remote server (Microsoft Active Directory)
- My Application needs to authenticate users with the remote service and be able to retrieve permissions to use for the local webapp

Or maybe someone can point me to a simple example to accomplish this without the need for a bloated framework like SimpleSAMLphp which offers far too much functionality that I don't need. Would it be advisable to just program everything myself using SOAP requests to the service? (If so, does Microsoft have a decent documentation for their protocol and how to call it without using any .Net language?)

Thanks for any possible answer, tip or encouragement ... I'm really starting to pull my hair out over this and loosing hope,
Florian
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Chrys31 5/22/12 7:54 AM
Hi Florian,

I speak French and my English is very bad but I will try to help you.
I consider simplesaml is installed and configured on your web server
Apache (www.mysite.com) and ADFS2 is installed on your federation
server (www.myadfs.com).

Open a browser and go to URL http://www.myadfs.com/Federationmetadata/2007-06/FederationMetadata.xml
Save as FederationMetadata.xml.

Open a browser and go to https://www.mysite.com/simplesaml/
Select Federation tab
Click on Convert XML Metadata to simpleSAML.php
Paste the content of the previous file (FederationMetadata.xml)
Click on Analyse
On saml20-idp-remote section, select all text and copy it
Edit the file <document_root>/simplesamlphp/metadata/saml20-idp-
remote.php (save a copy like saml20-idp-remote.bak)
Delete all text between <?php … ?> (keep "<?php" and "?>"
Paste the previous selected text between "<?php" and "?>"
Under ‘entityid’ line, add following line: ‘sign.logout’ => TRUE,
Save saml20-idp-remote.php

Edit the file
in the $config array adds an entry like
'myauth' => array(
    'saml:SP',
    'idp' => 'http://www.myadfs.com/adfs/services/trust',
    'privatekey' => '001-mysite.key',
    'certificate' => '001-mysite.crt',
),

On ADFS server, open the ADFS 2.0 consol
Go to Approbation relationship, and Relaying party approbation.
Click on Add approbation
Click on Start
Enter the following address: https://www.mysite.com/simplesaml/module.php/saml/sp/metadata.php/myauth
Click on OK.
Enter the application name.
Click on Next.
Click on Authorize user access to this relying party.
Click on Next.
Click on Next.
Click on Close.
Adds and configures all the rules you need.
Click on OK.
The new relaying party is added.
Double click on it.
On advanced tab, select algorithm hash to SHA-1.
Click on OK.

Regards,

Chrys.
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Chrys31 5/22/12 7:59 AM
Oups !
The second file to edit is <document_root>/simplesamlphp/config/
authsources.php

Chrys

On 22 mai, 16:54, Chrys31 <wilfrid.lef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> I speak French and my English is very bad but I will try to help you.
> I consider simplesaml is installed and configured on your web server
> Apache (www.mysite.com) and ADFS2 is installed on your federation
> server (www.myadfs.com).
>
> Open a browser and go to URLhttp://www.myadfs.com/Federationmetadata/2007-06/FederationMetadata.xml
> Save as FederationMetadata.xml.
>
> Open a browser and go tohttps://www.mysite.com/simplesaml/
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Florian Beer 5/23/12 1:18 AM
Wow, thank you very much Chrys!
That cleared a bunch of things up for me. I guess with your explanation my local part is configured correctly, now all I have to do is get the IdP to accept my requests. At the moment their service tells me: "An error occurred during the return of an error to the SAML Service Provider", but I'll let the guys on the other end figure that one out.

May I ask how you happened to come across this knowledge?
I combed through the SimpleSAMLphp documentation for hours but couldn't figure all this stuff out. Did I miss anything or is there maybe a better documentation/HOWTO somewhere else?

Thanks,
Flo
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Gabriel Bider 10/3/12 2:25 AM
I appreciate your help Chrys!

Followed your guide and now I'm stuck on the certificates part. How do I generate 001-mysite.key and crt files?

Thanks in advance.

Gabriel
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Thijs Kinkhorst 10/3/12 2:39 AM
Hi Gabriel,

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 02:25:56 -0700 (PDT), Gabriel Bider
<enda...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I appreciate your help Chrys!
>
> Followed your guide and now I'm stuck on the certificates part. How do I

> generate 001-mysite.key and crt files?

An example of how to generate the certificates is in the manual:
http://simplesamlphp.org/docs/1.10/simplesamlphp-sp#section_1_1

Cheers,
Thijs

--
Thijs Kinkhorst <th...@uvt.nl> – LIS Unix

Universiteit van Tilburg – Library and IT Services
Bezoekadres > Warandelaan 2 • Tel. 013 466 3035 • G 236
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP adam_j_bradley 3/27/13 1:49 AM
Hope you got this to work! Ping me if you have any questions.

//Adam

Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Djazz 4/24/13 2:39 AM
Hi guys,

I'm trying to make a SSP authentication with ADFS2.0 IDP work.

I've followed Chris tutorial, and it almost works fine but I've an issue with the NameIDPolicy.
When I set the NameIDPolicy to any URI in the authsources.php configuration file, I get an error in the SAML POST request (Error 500) as the URI seems to be incorrect. I tried every URL mentioned here : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4038.ad-fs-2-0-how-to-request-a-specific-name-id-format-from-a-claims-provider-cp-during-saml-2-0-single-sign-on-sso.aspx
And when I set the NameIDPolicy to NULL in the authsources.php, I also get an error in the SAML POST (Error 303) as ADFS 2.0 waits for a NameIDPolicy.

Does anyone have any information on this ?

Thanks
Kind regards
Djazz
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP oli laurel 7/3/13 11:05 AM
hi,

did you find any solution for the issue with the NameIDPolicy?
We drive into the same problem.

thx oli
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP oli laurel 7/3/13 11:07 AM
hi,

did you find any solution for your issue with NameIDPolicy?
We got same problem.

On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:52:27 PM UTC+2, Florian Beer wrote:
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Sebastien B. 7/4/13 11:33 PM
Hello,

In my current setup (bidirectional trust  with ADFS 2.0) i declared the ADFS IDP in the authsources.php file likewise:

// example ADFS auth source
'ADFS_IDP' => array(
'saml:SP',
'entityID' => 'https://ssp.mydomain.com',
'NameIDFormat' => 'urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.1:nameid-format:unspecified',
'privatekey' => 'mykey.pem',
'certificate' => 'mycertificate.crt',
'authproc' => array(
59 => array('class' => 'saml:NameIDAttribute', 'format' => '%V', 'attribute' => 'uid'),
93 => array('class' => 'core:AttributeMap', 'name2oid') // to convert all attributes to oid notation (works better with oiosaml like filters)
),
),

On ADFS side, make sure that you add at least 2 claim rules for the SSP relying party,

1) send ldap attributes as claims ( there is a claims rule template for that and you just select the attributes you want to send to SSP from the AD) in example PPID and/or samAccountName
2) transform PPID to UID (select the transform an incoming claims rule template and Transform one of the attributes you fetch from the AD (for example PPID) and make sure you transform it to the Name ID type and specifiy the type (persistent, transient, etc)

This is what i had to do in order to make sure ADFS includes a subject/nameID in the SAML assertion.

HTH

Sébastien
unk...@googlegroups.com 9/12/13 8:43 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP trekd...@gmail.com 9/12/13 8:44 AM
Would anyone be able to explain how the certs should look in this case? I noticed that authsources.php doesn't seem to provide the ability to define the certificate that your ADFS server uses for token signing and encryption. I still receive:

Encountered error during federation passive sign-in using SSO token.
Exception details:
Microsoft.IdentityServer.Web.SingleSignOnTokenException: MSIS7006: The single sign on token is not valid.
   at Microsoft.IdentityServer.Web.FederationPassiveAuthentication.BuildSignInResponseForProtocolRequest(FederationPassiveContext federationPassiveContext, SecurityToken securityToken)
   at Microsoft.IdentityServer.Web.FederationPassiveAuthentication.BuildSignInResponse(SecurityToken securityToken)

and

Microsoft.IdentityServer.Service.Policy.PolicyServer.Engine.ScopeNotFoundPolicyRequestException: MSIS3020: The relying party trust with identifier 'http://sp.domain.local/simplesaml/module.php/saml/sp/metadata.php/ADFS-SP' could not be located.
   at Microsoft.IdentityServer.Service.SamlProtocol.SamlProtocolService.ValidateSignatureRequirements(SamlMessage samlMessage)
   at Microsoft.IdentityServer.Service.SamlProtocol.SamlProtocolService.Issue(IssueRequest issueRequest)
   at Microsoft.IdentityServer.Service.SamlProtocol.SamlProtocolService.ProcessRequest(Message requestMessage)

Thanks!
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP trekd...@gmail.com 9/12/13 9:07 AM
Resolved this by addressing the SP with https. I now receive:

Unable to validate Signature

0: /usr/share/simplesamlphp/lib/SAML2/Utils.php:104 (SAML2_Utils::validateSignature)
1: /usr/share/simplesamlphp/lib/SAML2/Assertion.php:507 (SAML2_Assertion::validate)
2: /usr/share/simplesamlphp/modules/saml2/lib/Message.php:190 (sspmod_saml2_Message::checkSign)
3: /usr/share/simplesamlphp/modules/saml2/lib/Message.php:708 (sspmod_saml2_Message::processResponse)
4: /usr/share/simplesamlphp/modules/saml/www/sp/saml2-acs.php:50 (require)
5: /usr/share/simplesamlphp/www/module.php:135 (N/A)

A bit more informative but still not understanding where I should be defining this. I see mentions of modifying saml20-idp-remote.php but I though this file was to be maintained as simply the metadata contents of my IDP..

Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Sebastien B. 9/12/13 10:49 PM
Hello,

First of all, which scenario are you trying to achieve ? ADFS IdP for Simplesamlphp (SSP) or the other way round ?

ADFS IdP:  you have to declare the remote idp in the saml20-idp-remote.php  file.
ADFS SP: you have to declare the remote SP in the saml20-sp-remote.php file.

Be aware of the fact that, ADFS metadata are not only "SAML-centric" (they contain ws-fed metadata, etc. which sometimes, do not do well with the metadata parser).

Also, in ADFS, you have to declare either a relying party (ADFS IdP or claims provider ( ADFS SP) by importing SSP's metadata.

Hope this helps,

Sébastien
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Janeil Williams 9/25/13 7:48 AM
Most of the documentation here is using ADFS as the IDP and SimpleSAML and the Service Provider. How does one configure for the reverse. What I currently have is:

1. SimpleSAML configured as a Claims Provider  in ADFS using its metadata xml.
2.  The ADFS converted metadata (Service Provider meta)  added to the saml2-sp-remote file.

I presume this configuration should give me what I hope to achieve. However, on being redirected to the SimpleSAML authentication page and logging in, i'm then redirected to : https://hostname/adfs/ls/ which has an error. It seems the claims are not being passed back to ADFS after authentication. Has anyone tried using ADFS as the service provider in this set up?
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Sebastien B. 9/25/13 8:33 AM
Hello,

in my lab, i achieved bidirectional trust. It means that SSP and ADFS are Service provider and Id providers at the same time (to cover different use cases). Therefore it is possible.

You should check the Event viewer logs for ADFS in order to understand what the problem is. Every error should be logged there and usually the messages are quite clear.

Hope this helps,

Sébastien
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Janeil Williams 9/25/13 8:38 AM
Hello,

Thanks for your response. Did you used the converted xml as is? Additionally, did you also pass through the claims in ADFS management?

Regards.

Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Sebastien B. 9/25/13 10:19 AM
Hello,

If i recall correctly, i did not need to change the ADFS's XML. It might need a little cleaning because ADFS metadata contains also the WS-Fed metadata.
SSP's XML should be imported in ADFS without any problem through the wizards.

To solve the Name ID problem sent by ADFS, yes, i had to pass through all claim values.

Regards,

Sébastien
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Yugandhar Bandi 11/6/13 6:25 AM
Hi Chrys,

Thank you very much for this useful post. I followed your steps and was able to setup SAML - ADFS connectivity. But I have a custom requirement. I am using saml in my moodle application. Once I enable simplesaml, I am getting an SSO login button. Once the user clicks on it, it redirects to the ADFS login screen, where the user enters is credentials and on validation, the user is redirected back to moodle application. But my requirement is that the login should happen in my moodle login screen itself, instead of redirecting the user. Please share your thoughts on this as where i should begin ... any info will be of great help.

Thank you in advance,
Yugandhar Bandi.
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Peter Schober 11/6/13 6:38 AM
* Yugandhar Bandi <yrb...@paexskin.com> [2013-11-06 15:26]:
> But my requirement is that the login should happen in my moodle
> login screen itself, instead of redirecting the user.

That's not possible (or sensible) with SAML WebSSO, independently from
the SP or IdP implementation.
SAML was created to avoid the resource (Moodle in this case) ever
seeing your credentials, not to provide Yet Another Way to do that
(i.e., LDAP, RADIUS, etc.).

So you cannot sensibly require both SAML at the same time.
You can have people choose one or the other, though. But if they chose
something that initiates a SAML protocol exchange that will be a HTTP
redirect or POST somewhere else, not a local forms-based login,
-peter
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Tom Scavo 11/6/13 6:38 AM
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Yugandhar Bandi <yrb...@paexskin.com> wrote:

> ... my requirement is that
> the login should happen in my moodle login screen itself, instead of
> redirecting the user.

If I'm understanding you correctly, that's not a reasonable
requirement is *any* environment. The whole point of SAML Web Browser
SSO is that redirect to the user's familiar IdP login interface. If
you replicate (or actually try to present that login interface using
cutting edge client-side browser technology), it reduces the
application to phishing. I don't think you want to do that :-)

Tom
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP JDS 5/29/14 1:34 PM
Hi. This reply is a bit late, so sorry if you've worked this out already.

"my requirement is that the login should happen in my moodle login screen itself"

As others have stated, SSO won't work for this. If this truly is your requirement, use the Moodle LDAP authentication plugin.

Thanks,
JDS
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Manuel Roldan-Vega 8/29/14 12:58 PM
I'm pretty new to SimpleSAMLPHP. I'm working on configuring SimpleSAMLPHP as the SP and authenticating against ADFS (IdP), but I don't know where do I configure the claims map in the SimpleSAMLPHP side.  Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
M.
Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Richard Cesar 8/29/14 1:16 PM
Hey Manuel,

I am rather new to simpleSAML (and SAML altogether) myself, and had to put together a similar situation the other day. That is, SP-Init SSO with simpleSAML
being the sP, and the iDP being an ADFS (LDAP backed I believe). I may be a dummy, but It took me a while to deduce that "Claims" and the claim language has nothing
to do with SAML really, and that SAML uses no such language formally. SimpleSAML simply refers to these as the more formal SAML Specific "Attributes",
and what your looking for is PROBABLY what they call "Auth Proc Filters" (https://simplesamlphp.org/docs/stable/simplesamlphp-authproc)

Hopefully this helps,
Richard

Re: Using SimpleSAMLphp to Authenticate against ADFS 2.0 IdP Manuel Roldan-Vega 8/29/14 2:08 PM
thank you Richard. I'll review the documentation relevant to AuthProcs.
More topics »