Vector map in RouteMe with mapsforge(Android)

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
Vector map in RouteMe with mapsforge(Android) Jb Mob 7/22/12 7:36 AM
Hello,

I'm an Android and iOS developer and i'm currently developing a map application for both platforms. I need to use vector maps because of the weight and there is no open source equivalent for maps forge under iOS.

So i have started the (huge) project to translate maps forge in objective-c and integrate it into RouteMe as a tilesource. I plan to put my code on github pretty soon and i would like to know if someone would be interested in this project ?

Also, does anyone ever try to do it before or would have any advice for me before i start some part of maps forge ?

Currently, i'm working on the map reader and it's going pretty well.
There is still some things that i find hard to understand about the rendering part but i am confident.
I don't know yet what i am going to use for the drawing (QuartzCore, Quartz2D, Cocos2d, OpenGL).

Any advice/help will be appreciate.

Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Denoual
Re: Vector map in RouteMe with mapsforge(Android) Justin R. Miller 7/31/12 6:57 AM
Hi Jean-Baptiste,

This sounds interesting. One project I've seen that's not related to Route-Me is OpenStreetPad: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetPad

Might be some useful bits for rendering there.

--
Justin R. Miller
Development Seed / MapBox

Jean-Baptiste Denoual.
Re: Vector map in RouteMe with mapsforge(Android) Peter Starser 10/15/12 9:14 AM
So, did you manage to render OSM vector maps in iPhone? Could you share your code on GitHub?
Re: Vector map in RouteMe with mapsforge(Android) mel ad 10/17/12 1:10 AM
Hi Jb Mob,

Did u finish your maps forge port ? I also need to build an app with vector data and I m interested in re-usign and existing work.  feel free to contact me in private if you re not planning to release it as open source.
Re: [route-me] Vector map in RouteMe with mapsforge(Android) Vlad 10/17/12 5:41 AM
Hi !

There is also libosmscout that do vector maps drawing (unix, windows, QT, iOS, Android,...), routing, searching :

I did the iOS/OSX drawing code, it's not finished but works quite well. I'll also commit a route-me source that use libosmscout to do offline map drawing when I'll have solved some tiling issues (cut labels at tile border,...)

Regards,
Vlad.

Re: [route-me] Vector map in RouteMe with mapsforge(Android) Calin 4/30/13 3:40 AM
Hi Vlad,

Any news on the route-me source you were talking about? Thanks.
Re: Vector map in RouteMe with mapsforge(Android) Steve Gifford 4/30/13 9:56 AM
You might also want to take a look at Maply, part of the WhirlyGlobe-Maply project:

Maply takes the high performance rendering approach for iOS, using OpenGL ES and generally being crazy fast.

It's meant to be a fairly comprehensive solution, but I'm finding that other projects are looking at it as a rendering engine with geo features.  That might be useful in your case.

-Steve Gifford
 (mousebird consulting inc)