Live examples

Showing 1-145 of 145 messages
Live examples Nona 6/12/12 8:03 AM
Hi all,
I think it would be helpful to start a thread where we'll post
examples of finished sites we've developed under the Roots Theme.
I always find great answers and insight when seeing actual work and
solutions.

Thanks.
Re: Live examples hubs 6/12/12 5:51 PM
Nona,

This gallery is on the rootstheme.com website. I also like this one from a poster here in this group. This is mine in progress
Re: Live examples Mike Goodstadt 6/13/12 1:17 AM
Ok Here is one to start with:
http://www.seuxerea.com
It is a child theme with minimum replacement of parent files.
eg. hardcoding the menu to the bottom in header.php
For ease and speed I just used WP-supersized plugin.
All comments welcome... :)
Mike
Re: Live examples Buretta 8/3/12 12:06 PM
We've done 2 in roots
This one is responsive (still working on it but near done) http://learningforwardbc.ca/
And this one is a large eCommerce website http://diveidc.com
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples coreywagehoft 8/3/12 12:13 PM
www.ctaexpo.com and www.lakefrontfutures.com are sites I built based
on a derivative of roots before it went Twitter bootstrap only.
> --

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Lucas Rolff 8/3/12 12:45 PM
I've recently built (still tweaking): https://hosting4real.net/

August 3, 2012 9:13 PM
www.ctaexpo.com and www.lakefrontfutures.com are sites I built based
on a derivative of roots before it went Twitter bootstrap only.

August 3, 2012 9:06 PM

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:03:58 AM UTC-7, Nona wrote:
--

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples coreywagehoft 8/3/12 12:48 PM
Buretta,

Those are some really nice sites you built.
> --

Re: Live examples ajmalafif 8/7/12 12:44 AM
Oh wow nice!

Did you use WooCommerce for diveidc.com? I particularly love that cart toolbar you have. Very neat! Good job.
Re: Live examples ajmalafif 8/7/12 12:44 AM
My personal site: http://ajmalafif.com
Re: Live examples Buretta 8/7/12 3:51 PM
We used cart66. The site required some heavy content strategy and cart66 was ideal for this. Really recommended it ;)
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples ajmalafif 8/7/12 4:11 PM
Ah, I see. Heard lots of good reviews about it. I'll have a look at it. Thanks for the recommendation and reply!

Ajmal Afif Jamal
BSc. Actuarial Science
Smeal College of Business
The Pennsylvania State University
Re: Live examples Ben Word 8/18/12 5:22 PM
Re: Live examples Bill Weye 8/23/12 9:22 AM
Is it just me, or does it seem kind of strange to go through the trouble of using Roots/Twitter Bootstrap and NOT use the responsive functionality? It amazes me when I look at these examples and 80%+ of them aren't responsive.

Why are people using Roots/Bootstrap for non-responsive sites?

Curious.
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Jonathan Martin 8/23/12 9:35 AM
Bootstrap is more than a responsive framework: it's a grid system, set of common JS functions, well formed standardised CSS classes and much much more.

To me, responsive is just another feature of TWBS which *can* be used rather than *should* be used.  Plus going responsive increases the workload and what if the client isn't concerned about mobile or doesn't have the budget?

Personally I think responsive is a beautiful idea, but you don't always want to use it.

Jon Martin
BigSpring Web Development
Office: 0845 519 0538 / +44 115 714 2282
Mobile: + 44 (0) 7787 121897
Skype: jon.bigspring
http://www.bigspring.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/bigspringweb
http://www.facebook.com/bigspringweb
j...@bigspring.co.uk

BigSpring is a trading division of Big Spring (UK) Ltd
Registered in England & Wales No. 06741331, 29 St Austins Drive, Nottingham, NG4 3EY

--

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Shaimoom Newaz 8/27/12 3:53 PM
OK just finished my first Roots site. I still have to do some code housekeeping but other than that, it's a wrap. Also, this site is NOT responsive due to the client's budget limitations. In addition to the developing, I also created the logo and design layout. I appreciate any feedback.

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples leoj3n 8/27/12 5:56 PM
You should add the class .alert p { line-height:1; } to fix the styling of alerts. See the "Sorry, no results were found." alert on this page to see what I mean.

Looks like you have some decent design skills. I like the site a lot. I don't imagine it would be too hard to convert the site to be responsive. If you do work on it some more, you may consider trying to make the footer a sticky footer.
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Shaimoom Newaz 8/29/12 1:58 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I am definitely going to implement the sticky or flushed footer for this site. Once again, I appreciate your help a lot!

--

Re: Live examples Arno Peck 8/31/12 9:17 AM
Re: Live examples leoj3n 8/31/12 9:33 AM

Jon Martin
BigSpring Web Development
Office: 0845 519 0538 / +44 115 714 2282
Mobile: + 44 (0) 7787 121897
Skype: jon.bigspring
http://www.bigspring.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/bigspringweb
http://www.facebook.com/bigspringweb
j...@bigspring.co.uk

BigSpring is a trading division of Big Spring (UK) Ltd
Registered in England & Wales No. 06741331, 29 St Austins Drive, Nottingham, NG4 3EY

--

Re: Live examples Todd Zebert 9/25/12 9:23 AM
Here's a small site I built for a friend - all responsive.

Thanks Roots team!

* I should make the About page a true 3-column collapsing template but this works for now.

** the ContentFlow js doesn't respond to touch controls but that's not a Roots issue
Re: Live examples Ben Word 9/30/12 3:50 PM
Updated my personal site:

Also added a few more examples up on the Roots gallery page: http://www.rootstheme.com/gallery/
unk...@googlegroups.com 10/2/12 6:02 PM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 10/9/12 12:03 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Live examples mike koroshun 10/12/12 11:44 AM
I have several websites build with Roots:

http://assistantfor.me/

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:03:58 AM UTC-4, Nona wrote:
Hi all,
I think it would be helpful to start a thread where we'll post
examples of finished sites we've developed under the Roots Theme.
I always find great answers and insight when seeing actual work and
solutions.

Thanks.
Re: Live examples Ex HTML 10/19/12 9:46 AM
Proudly powered by Roots!
Re: Live examples Edgar Monroy 10/31/12 10:48 PM
Hello Ben,
First of all thanks for the help on how to change the Navigation back ground colors... With that said. Here is my latest work, well my first Word Press Theme using Roots Theme... It's fully responsive, but just like everyone here... still doing some media queries house-keeping and testing. I found the Roots Theme easy to very easy to implement. I was a little lost on the banner section at first but other than that it was very easy ...

Here is the Final Website... still updating my Portfolio as far as presentation goes, but like everything still working fine-tuning the website.

Feed Back is appreciated..

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:03:58 AM UTC-7, Nona wrote:
Hi all,
I think it would be helpful to start a thread where we'll post
examples of finished sites we've developed under the Roots Theme.
I always find great answers and insight when seeing actual work and
solutions.

Thanks.
Re: Live examples WP Nona 10/31/12 11:16 PM
Very nice work!
I like the responsiveness.
I noticed that the "Download Brochure" is not linked yet.  I would recommend that for smaller screens (i.e. mobile) you will either hide this button or have it linked to another form that asks the user to enter their email and a brochure will be sent to them.

Contact me if you want some development projects.

BTW - note that the URL you've given had a ',' after the www, so you should edit it...
Re: Live examples Ash Bryant 11/1/12 2:30 AM
My first roots powered theme http://c9dd.com/
Re: Live examples leoj3n 11/1/12 10:06 AM
Footer needs attention. #mce-EMAIL { width:80%; } and in...@mhmarketingsolutions.com needs to be smaller: use a fluid-width image, smaller font, or link a string that has spaces so the text wraps, or use { word-wrap:break-word; }
Re: Live examples Daniel Schutzsmith 11/4/12 8:50 PM
We launched our new site for our agency http://markandphil.com. Gonna add more bells & whistles but its at least live right now.

Best,
dan

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:03:58 AM UTC-4, Nona wrote:
Hi all,
I think it would be helpful to start a thread where we'll post
examples of finished sites we've developed under the Roots Theme.
I always find great answers and insight when seeing actual work and
solutions.

Thanks.
Re: Live examples Marco Petrosillo 11/5/12 9:01 AM
My personal blog http://extragap.com , it's in Italian but still made with roots. You guys are great!
Re: Live examples Shaimoom Newaz 11/5/12 4:58 PM
Hey Roots World,

Here is another site I launched today:

This is still a work in progress, especially in IE8, the site vomits. I appreciate any feedback. I love Roots. Thanks Ben.
Re: Live examples leoj3n 11/6/12 4:09 PM
@Shaimoom Newaz, The [XL / L / S / XS] radio buttons could be wrapped by labels so the entire element is clickable. The length of the cart fade animation could be cut in half IMHO. Although you avoid a FOUC in the front-page masthead, it is disorienting when the slides finally load and the page reformats itself, pushing down content you've already started reading. Not an issue after cache, but maybe have the masthead slide in when loaded instead of just appearing. Other than that I'm seeing a Bluehost favicon.

It's great to know WooCommerce can be so elegantly integrated with Roots. Perhaps write a post-mortem for the group after you've figure out all the nasty IE compatibility issues. It shows that the site was built around the content|product and not the other way around; good work!
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Shaimoom Newaz 11/7/12 7:43 PM
Thanks leo!!! I really do value your opinion and your feedback. I have already made plans on incorporating your ideas. Also, what is a FOUC? Finally, I plan to write in detail my experience with WooCommerce as it relates to Roots in an upcoming blog and in these Google Groups. I know there have been questions floating there about WooCommerce and can finally respond to them with confidence.

--

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Shaimoom Newaz 11/7/12 7:47 PM
And yet again here is another Roots creation:

This is of the non-responsive batch but it was a large undertaking and I got my hands dirty in every step including information architecture, wireframing, design, development and deployment. This was built on a legacy version of Roots before the theme wrapper batches but is still super solid. I love Roots so much!!!
Re: Live examples Vedran 11/9/12 8:28 AM
Hi Shaimoom,

can you tell us how you integrated WooCommerce into Roots with the new Theme Wrapper?
But not sure about that. Any tips?

Btw. I really like the 'ABOUT OUR MONTHLY SHARE GOALS' idea :)

best,
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Shaimoom Newaz 11/9/12 2:41 PM
Hi Vedran,

I am doing a writeup on this and will let you know when it is ready ASAP. I want to make sure I am giving clear, correct information. Thanks!

--

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Vedran Zgela 11/9/12 3:21 PM
Hey Shaimoom,

cool! I implemented the 'hack' from the stackoverflow in the meantime and this works so far.
Looking forward to read your writeup.

best,
Vedran

--

Re: Live examples Al 11/10/12 3:40 PM
Just finished building a courier service site using Roots.

Working on two more sites using Roots, by far my favorite theme.
Re: Live examples Priyan Nithya 11/10/12 11:35 PM
A responsive site for a Reiki Healer built with Roots Theme: http://healingandangelreadings.com
Re: Live examples Todd Hamilton 11/11/12 5:34 PM
Re: Live examples Buretta 11/14/12 11:22 AM
nice site
Re: Live examples Buretta 11/14/12 11:37 AM
Another site by MAGNUM Creative using Roots and it was for the Red Bull Crashed Ice campaign.
  • Roots
  • Responsive :)
  • WPML
  • Gravity Forms
FYI, this URL will go down after the campaign is over but will re-appear in our portfolio shortly after
Re: Live examples Luiz Gabriel Cardozo 11/18/12 3:30 PM
Here is our first roots based website, for a local language school http://culturalweb.com.br/
Re: Live examples leoj3n 11/19/12 7:04 AM
The facebook integration seems a little overdone. I really like the simplicity of the menu; I was able to get around with a limited knowledge of the language. Would love to see it responsive! Nice design.
Re: Live examples nmac 11/19/12 6:35 PM
Hi Nona, and all,
This is one of mine that has just gone live, so early days yet, as much more content on it's way. Mad props to Ben and Scott.

N.
Re: Live examples Ex HTML 11/20/12 3:00 AM
Wow! amazing work nmac, really really well integrated and carefully crafted! chapeau
Re: Live examples nmac 11/20/12 5:25 AM
Hey, thanks for the feedback. Still lots to do on there though. But roots really helped.
Cheers
N.
Re: Live examples Rob Blake 11/20/12 9:04 AM
Hi All,

Our first roots effort:

Rob

On Tuesday, 12 June 2012 16:03:58 UTC+1, Nona wrote:
Hi all,
I think it would be helpful to start a thread where we'll post
examples of finished sites we've developed under the Roots Theme.
I always find great answers and insight when seeing actual work and
solutions.

Thanks.
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples dir 11/20/12 9:35 AM
Nice site I like it.

Clean graphic and in formative, just how I like it.

There is however a small margin issue on an iPhone. Simple fix I reckon.

Was it meant to be responsive?
--

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Rob Blake 11/20/12 11:12 AM
Hey Dir,

We set out to make it responsive but in the end we didn't have time to polish it properly so decided not to do it on this occasion.

I was amazed at the responsive bootstrap stuff when I first saw it, cool.

I don't own an iphone, so not seen the issue, I'll borrow one and have a look tomorrow, thanks ;-)

I'm working on another site at the moment, definitely doing responsive this time.

Really liking roots, and Wordpress.

Rob
Re: Live examples Luiz Gabriel Cardozo 11/20/12 2:22 PM
Thanks :) we are working in the layout for small screens to make it responsive
Re: Live examples Torbjörn Sjögren 11/22/12 3:08 AM
Great implenentation an clean design. Tested in my iPhone and the only problem i had was tapping on secondary menu item dosent work (courses->challenge). Is that a known problem in bootstrap?
Re: Live examples Brian Feister 11/26/12 3:36 PM
Hi everyone,

Just posting a site I recently finished with Roots, check it out if you're interested:

http://amargamal.com

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:03:58 AM UTC-4, Nona wrote:
Hi all,
I think it would be helpful to start a thread where we'll post
examples of finished sites we've developed under the Roots Theme.
I always find great answers and insight when seeing actual work and
solutions.

Thanks.
Re: Live examples Rob Blake 11/26/12 3:41 PM
Hey Brian,

Wow, radical! I thought the intro was a bit 'flash', but think the site is cool, really bold and individual.

Rob
Re: Live examples Brian Feister 11/26/12 4:26 PM
Thanks Rob - you're right, it *was* a bit Flash... the client really wanted it and I figured it was a great chance to demonstrate with a bit of javscript and clever use of @font-face how we can do amazing things without the Flash.  FYI - the intro stores a cookie (quick, easy, and plenty dirty) so that users only see the intro once if they have cookies enabled ;P
Re: Live examples Brian Feister 11/26/12 4:36 PM
Fun tidbit about this site - each section has it's own theme which is done entirely inside of a sweet little LESS "sub-theming engine" I architected which loops over and re-assigns CSS colors to all relevant bits of the site via a prefixed nested LESS variable like this:

PHP

LESS "sub-theme" variables

@home-sub-theme-PrimaryColor: beige;
@home-sub-theme-PrimarySubdued: smoke;
@home-sub-theme-AccentColor: grey;

@events-sub-theme-PrimaryColor: purple;
@events-sub-theme-PrimarySubdued: fuschia;
[...]

.setThemeColors( @themeName ) {
(~"body.@{themeName}") {
color: ~"@{@{themeName}-PrimarySubdued}";
background-color: ~"@{@{themeName}-AccentColor}";
a {
color: ~"@{@{themeName}-PrimaryColor}";
Re: Live examples Ex HTML 11/27/12 12:29 AM
Wow! Brian, amazing work! Congrats
Re: Live examples Todd Zebert 11/27/12 7:44 AM
Howdy everyone - thanks for the great community support.

I just launched http://lookoutshopper.com/ for a startup I'm working with.

It's the most responsive site I've done so far, and I also realized HTML5 BP did not come with Respond.js (or equivalent) - The IE MQ's were driving me batty until I realized my assumption was wrong.

Other tweaks of note (perhaps):
* Made the accordion feature "bounce back" to keep the .default region open by default with a small jQ script
* Placed the main content first in the file but pushed the sidebar left
* Modified Page to move the titles out of the main content and into the top-navbar
And some non-Roots stuff like custom widgets and author/shopper pages

Roots is my go-to theme, and I also recommend it.

Best,
Todd

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:03:58 AM UTC-7, Nona wrote:
Hi all,
I think it would be helpful to start a thread where we'll post
examples of finished sites we've developed under the Roots Theme.
I always find great answers and insight when seeing actual work and
solutions.

Thanks.
Re: Live examples Brenden Wing 11/27/12 8:07 PM
I like your site it is clean and easy to navigate.  However, it doesn't follow the concept behind Roots by Ben Word.  The idea is to hide the fact that you are using WP and your <head> is cluttered with wp-content.  You may as well just build your child theme on top of just the HTML5 Boilerplate. JMO  However, again...Nice site
Re: Live examples Todd Zebert 11/28/12 10:13 AM
Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

I didn't realize the point of Roots was to hide WP....  ?

I also relied on Bootstap's responsive theme, menus, and some JS.

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:07:28 PM UTC-8, Brenden Wing wrote:
I like your site it is clean and easy to navigate.  However, it doesn't follow the concept behind Roots by Ben Word.  The idea is to hide the fact that you are using WP and your <head> is cluttered with wp-content.  You may as well just build your child theme on top of just the HTML5 Boilerplate. JMO  However, again...Nice site
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Ben Word 11/28/12 1:01 PM
It's not. Cleaning up WP code output is a feature, but I've also deployed plenty of Roots sites without clean URLs.

Sent from my iPhone
--

unk...@googlegroups.com 11/28/12 1:36 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Live examples Brenden Wing 11/28/12 1:41 PM

   "How to Hide The Fact That You’re Using WordPress"    November 7, 2011
Re: Live examples Matt Styles 11/29/12 8:42 AM
Yeah, but Ben doesn't state that its an objective of using Roots, cleaning up WP is just one feature it uses.

Using Roots without the clean URL's is still a lot more than just a child theme of H5BP, a lot more.

On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:41:13 PM UTC, Brenden Wing wrote:
Actually Ben I was quoting your headline...

   "How to Hide The Fact That You’re Using WordPress"    November 7, 2011
Re: Live examples Sherin Lee 12/10/12 7:09 PM

Great to see all the good stuff everybody is building using roots. This is mine www.tombox.co. Still in progress though. Many of my friends commented that it doesn't look like it is done using wordpress, which makes me glad. Guess that is the beauty of roots.
Re: Live examples Ex HTML 12/13/12 4:52 AM
Proudly powered by Roots: http://www.icfc.es/
Design is not mine, only coding. Reporting here basically for documentation/examples purpose.

El martes, 11 de diciembre de 2012 04:09:11 UTC+1, Sherin Lee escribió:

Great to see all the good stuff everybody is building using roots. This is mine www.tombox.co. Still in progress though. Many of my friends commented that it doesn't look like it is done using wordpress, which makes me glad. Guess that is the beauty of roots.
Re: Live examples Jesse Brockis 1/3/13 3:17 PM
Re: Live examples Ex HTML 1/3/13 9:48 PM
o_O Amazing work, mate!
Really liked:

http://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/
http://www.sydneychinesenewyear.com
Very crafted responsiveness! Impeccable work, congrats!

Re: Live examples Ian Anderson Gray 1/5/13 4:39 AM
Hi all.

I built the website for the Association of Teachers of Singing using Roots last year- http://aotos.org.uk/

In December I rebuilt my blog using roots, although there is still work to be done- http://iag.me/

Let me know what you think!

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:03:58 PM UTC+1, Nona wrote:
Hi all,
I think it would be helpful to start a thread where we'll post
examples of finished sites we've developed under the Roots Theme.
I always find great answers and insight when seeing actual work and
solutions.

Thanks.
Re: Live examples Paul 1/5/13 9:15 PM
great display of your work. I notice that on the sydneynewyearseve.com site the submenus dropdown on hover on my computer. Do they dropdown on touch for mobile? Would you mind sharing how you accomplished that? Did you do it all in css or did you use css and js? The about page is a link and it's clickable. I want to figure out how to do that, but still use it to dropdown the submenu on touch for mobile, and yet still be able to go to that link. So maybe it would be dropdown on touch for mobile, but maybe have a mirror image that will go to that page.

Anything you would care to offer would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Live examples Ex HTML 1/15/13 9:32 AM
Proudly powered by Roots:
http://www.solegimenez.com/home

El domingo, 6 de enero de 2013 06:15:29 UTC+1, Paul escribió:
great display of your work. I notice that on the sydneynewyearseve.com site the submenus dropdown on hover on my computer. Do they dropdown on touch for mobile? Would you mind sharing how you accomplished that? Did you do it all in css or did you use css and js? The about page is a link and it's clickable. I want to figure out how to do that, but still use it to dropdown the submenu on touch for mobile, and yet still be able to go to that link. So maybe it would be dropdown on touch for mobile, but maybe have a mirror image that will go to that page.

Anything you would care to offer would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Live examples WP Nona 1/15/13 3:25 PM
Great work on this one!
(I remember a previous version of it you've presented here).

I liked the stack of albums piled all over the bottom of the screen in the gallery - is that something you engineered from scratch or can you share a source?  Nice effect also on smaller screen!
I also like the "coverflow" of albums in the discography - again, is this a slider you can share?  BTW - it didn't work well for me when I narrowed my Safari browser window (on Mac).

Are you planning on adding more info in the modal popup for the tours (homepage)?  Otherwise I don't see a reason to open the modal, just open the ticket site in a new tab/window.

It really shows that you've put a lot of work into it - hope the client is happy as well!
Re: Live examples Ex HTML 1/15/13 9:36 PM
Hi Nona, thanks for your comments!
- The original source of the photo stack gallery is cited in the source code: Original script by Mary Lou : http://tympanus.net/codrops/2010/09/28/polaroid-photobar-gallery/
Sure you know, but Codrops is a great site with lot of tutorials and resources. The only problem with this script is that I found it doesn't work with jquery later to 1.5.2 (something related to the 2d transform plugin), so as I'm not a jquery expert and wasn't able to mess with the original script, I opted for a messy solution that is encapsulating jquery 1.5.2 in a variable only in this page for the script to work (you can see it in the source code)
- The coverflow plugin comes from here: http://slobodan.99k.org/plugins/coverscroll.html
- About the events, you're true, for the moment there's no reason to open in modal but I'm waiting for the client to put more info (tickets, flyers, description or something...)
Cheers!
Re: Live examples Jesse Brockis 1/20/13 4:08 PM
Hey, thanks for the feed back, the boys did a great job on this one! I believe it was a variation of this plugin, it works on hover for desktop and expands all sub menus for mobile/tablet.

Demo here:

Best of luck.
Re: Live examples Jesse Brockis 1/20/13 4:36 PM
I'm actually using the latest version of roots at the moment for another project, I found that I needed to add the below media query to my app.css:

@media (max-width: 979px) {
  .nav-collapse .dropdown-menu {display: block;}
Live examples Pelayo Maojo 1/23/13 7:17 AM
Hi,

I've just finished http://deanes.es

Built with roots

Thanyou for your feedback

Re: Live examples keith cotlier 2/3/13 8:12 AM
My example: http://www.ontimescreen.com/blog/
Looking forward to making a few more rootstheme websites!

Re: Live examples Logan Lape 2/3/13 12:17 PM
Sierra Nevada College (http://www.sierranevada.edu/) is built on Roots and perhaps the first higher ed site I've found using it.
Re: Live examples WP Nona 2/4/13 3:58 AM
Great site and content!

I liked the adjustments to screen sizes, though I think that you have too many navigations.
The homepage's green navigation buttons are a bit too much, IMHO - especially when you go mobile and it takes a large part of the screen (if you keep them, why not decrease their width to half the size and align them in pairs).  They also have a dropdown menu from them which is too much - again IMHO.

The "Browse Departments and Majors" under the academic has a very neat selection filter - what did you use for it?

I think there are too many different categories, but I understand that there are lots of different sections and faculties and content types.
Is the client happy? They should be.
unk...@googlegroups.com 2/8/13 9:05 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples ajmalafif 2/8/13 10:10 PM
Wow omg I love all of them!

I've been trying to search how to do that responsive fullscreen image background you have in http://gypsyandhisbandofghosts.com (was looking at http://bakkenbaeck.no/).

My finding so far are quite extensive but still can't find specifically that!! https://gist.github.com/ajmalafif/4662124

Any help or guide you can point me to look into that?

Major thanks for your time and concern!

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 1:05 AM, Nick <hiddenco...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've used my own modded version of Roots on the following:

--

---

Ajmal Afif Jamal
BSc. Actuarial Science
Smeal College of Business
The Pennsylvania State University
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples WP Nona 2/9/13 12:01 AM
I agree with @Ajmalafif on your work - haven't looked them all through but very impressive!

Regarding the background issue - I would also like to hear some feedback, just now tackling something similar.
And a note on the site - I think it would be better to open the side menu links (Twitter, Youtube etc.) in a new tab, and not have them open in the same tab/window as your site.  The user then floats off and forgets the original site.
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Ben Word 2/10/13 11:30 AM
Nick's sites are amazing - started coming across them while doing code searches on the new GitHub search the other week.

I think that target="_blank" is almost always inappropriate, it should be up the user to control how they'd like links to open. Web apps might need it in certain instances, but for websites I am never okay with using target="_blank".

There's been several times at my dayjobs over the years where I've been forced to do it, but I've never done it for any client work I've done on my own.
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Nick 2/10/13 5:04 PM
Thanks Ajmal,

For responsive fullscreen background images I use Backstretch.
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Nick 2/10/13 5:10 PM
Thanks for the compliments! Check out my response to @Ajmalafif about the background bit.
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples ajmalafif 2/11/13 12:22 AM
Hey Nick,

Ah cool! Thanks for sharing :) Owe you one, big time!
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Ex HTML 2/13/13 9:16 AM
Proudly powered by Roots: http://ds-av.com/
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Pelayo Maojo 2/16/13 11:15 AM
Muy chula
Re: Live examples Martin Lindgren 2/19/13 11:16 AM
Hi all!

First.. Thank you for developing Roots theme. We used it as a starting point when we developed our new site for one of our services here in Sweden. And we really enjoyed working with Roots.

Nothing fancy or over the top. But we did take our time to make it responsive. It might need some final tweaks though =)

Thank you!
-Martin
Re: Live examples Robert Renteria 2/25/13 10:46 PM
Decided to give Roots a go after after having jumped into Twitter bootstrapping and moving away from my own custom bootstrap. Loving it so far. Great job!

http://blacklotustattooers.com/

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:03:58 AM UTC-7, Nona wrote:
Hi all,
I think it would be helpful to start a thread where we'll post
examples of finished sites we've developed under the Roots Theme.
I always find great answers and insight when seeing actual work and
solutions.

Thanks.
Re: Live examples David 2/26/13 7:12 AM
Lovely site, Robert!

I love the typography. Great color treatments.

I also love the way you have the, categorized by Show all, Byron, Alexis, and Falcon. I don't think I've seen the javascript (?) that "cycles" the categories in and out. Do you have any tips or links on how one might be able to show that behavior on their website?

Thanks so much!
David
Re: Live examples Nick Fox 2/26/13 10:25 AM
It's done using a jQuery plugin called Isotope. It's very reasonably priced but not free for commercial use.
An MIT licensed alternative is Quicksand which is available to fork on Github.
Re: Live examples Robert Renteria 2/26/13 10:32 AM
Thanks a bunch David. Nick is exactly right, it's Isotope There are a few tutorials and options like the one Nick recommended which are great but I really like Isotopes flexibility. I chose it specifically because of it's baked in responsiveness though.
Re: Live examples David 2/26/13 11:02 AM
Nick and Robert, you guys rock. Totally gonna give Isotope a whirl. Thanks!!
Re: Live examples WP Nona 2/26/13 12:49 PM
Clean and practical!
Nice design and clear navigation and content layout.  I'm also impressed with the responsiveness in the shop and the above mentioned tattoo gallery.
One point from the UX point of view - it's not the best location for the cart icon together with the two social icons.  Just my insight.

Thanks for sharing!
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Shaimoom Newaz 2/26/13 4:51 PM
Very nice Logan. I built http://thehelpgroup.org on Roots a while back though it is not exactly higher ed. Cheers!

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Logan Lape <loga...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sierra Nevada College (http://www.sierranevada.edu/) is built on Roots and perhaps the first higher ed site I've found using it.

--

---

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Shaimoom Newaz 2/26/13 4:54 PM
Nick. Damn!!!!!!!
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Ben Word 2/26/13 5:50 PM
Awesome site!

Sent from my iPhone
Re: Live examples Robert Renteria 2/26/13 6:13 PM
Thanks a bunch Nona! That's a good point in regards to the cart. I'd actually planned on adding additional spacing, a divider and cart count but haven't had a chance. Thanks for the feedback and for reminding me! :)
Re: Live examples Devin Walker 2/27/13 2:12 PM
I've been enjoying Roots now for awhile and built a number of sites on it.  Here's my company site on Roots: http://wordimpressed.com

Here's a few others sites we've done:

http://vetstogo.com

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:03:58 AM UTC-7, Nona wrote:
Hi all,
I think it would be helpful to start a thread where we'll post
examples of finished sites we've developed under the Roots Theme.
I always find great answers and insight when seeing actual work and
solutions.

Thanks.
Re: Live examples Joshua Naylor 2/27/13 2:16 PM
Devin - your wordimpressed site's css doesn't appear to be loading properly.
Re: Live examples Devin Walker 3/5/13 7:15 PM
Yeah I've been messing around with the server config so you may have seen it at the wrong time... it should be good now!
Re: Live examples Jeff Szuc 3/14/13 8:54 PM
There are a lot of fantastic examples of Roots built sites here. I've just wrapped up two sites of my own but am looking to start my next project as I only now feel like I've got a solid handle on how to force the bootstrap components to do what I want.

I wasn't able to get the lavalamp.js which I wanted on one of the sites to work but that's a topic for another thread.
Re: Live examples Pelayo Maojo 3/20/13 9:10 AM
I love Ithacadesign webpage
good work!
Re: Live examples micah 4/3/13 2:15 PM
I'll add my latest Roots project to the mix as well.

On the front page, there's a default content for mobile and I'm using JS to pull in content and styles specifically for desktop/laptop/tablets. It's a work in progress but it's using the latest version of Roots to date, as I keep all the files updated when the project is updated.
Re: Live examples Pelayo Maojo 4/4/13 8:14 AM
I made http://www.denaes.es with roots

Re: Live examples John Pattison 4/12/13 1:01 PM

I don't think I've used anything other than Roots in the last 2-3 years?
Re: Live examples Jimmy Smutek 4/12/13 6:02 PM
Here's mine - http://smutek.net/ - It's my first site with Roots and I still have odds and ends to work out, and I'm a perpetual newb, but... yeah!
Re: Live examples leoj3n 4/12/13 8:58 PM
Tubular! Thanks for sharing—the site has that old school feel while remaining natural to navigate. I like how the blog sidebar melts away into right half of my screen.

It never ceases to amaze me in how much feeling can come across in a simple design by a good color scheme and proportions. The photographs on your blog are excellent by the way. I patronage an outdoor concrete park on the Chicago lakefront once or twice in the summer to keep my drop-in skills sharp ;)
Re: Live examples Jimmy Smutek 4/16/13 4:25 PM
Thank you for looking and for the compliments, leoj3n! Awesome that you skate as well. I started when I was 14, I'm 42 now and still going!

Re: Live examples ajmalafif 5/7/13 4:52 AM
Hey guys!

Just finish my site at http://ajmalafif.com/

Still have detailed page and error pages to customize but that's my first version of the site.

I am still touching up here and there, the site seems to break on Internet Explorer and Firefox on my PC (Windows XP). Any help how do I debug that on either current machine (Mac) or that windows XP?
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Pelayo Maojo 5/7/13 4:57 AM
Hey, cool looking
But for me loaded slow as hell, the background image may be a little too hi res?

2013/5/7 ajmalafif <ajma...@gmail.com>
--

---

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples ajmalafif 5/7/13 4:59 AM
Hey!

Thanks for the feedback Pelayo! Yeah it is! Been trying to tweak to keep it small. I actually try to keep the reso pretty much the same like it is on thegreatdiscontent.com . Any suggestion?

Initially it was a video for the background but I think that's gonna take even longer to load.
--
Ajmal Afif Jamal
BSc. Actuarial Science
Smeal College of Business
The Pennsylvania State University
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Pelayo Maojo 5/7/13 5:05 AM
maybe its not the image itself, it does not seem to be very big file...
but it can be compressed more
Imágenes integradas 1

2013/5/7 Ajmal Afif Jamal <ajma...@gmail.com>

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Pelayo Maojo 5/7/13 5:05 AM
that image is 53kb

2013/5/7 Pelayo Maojo <pelay...@gmail.com>

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples ajmalafif 5/7/13 5:22 AM
@Pelayo Thanks for the advice and image!
Re: Live examples Donna McMaster 5/7/13 10:57 AM
Nice job, Ajmal! I'm on high-speed contrast, so the image didn't take long but there was still a brief period in which I was looking at a white screen. You might consider a background color that will let your white navigation links show up while the image is loading.

As for browser compatibility, after Adobe BrowserLabs shut down I did some research and here's what I found. Many of these support live testing so you can see how scripts perform.

BrowserShots - for basic browser compatibility testing, you can use free
http://browsershots.org/.

Sauce Labs - interactive testing, lots of features;
limited free plan; paid starts at $12/month
https://saucelabs.com/signup

BrowserStack - virtual, interactive testing
go to http://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#browserstack for 3 months free testing; plans start at $19/month
http://www.browserstack.com/

Cross Browser Testing - free trial, starts at $30/month after
http://crossbrowsertesting.com/

Mogo Test - cross-browser visual regression tool; much more than just browser compatibility
free two-week trial; $99/month
http://mogotest.com/

Microsoft – http://www.modern.ie/en-us
information, virtual machines, reference to BrowserStack

Hope this helps.
Donna
Re: Live examples Donna McMaster 5/7/13 11:01 AM
OOPS that should be high-speed Comcast, not high-speed contrast. :)
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples ajmalafif 5/7/13 9:07 PM
Donna!

Hey thanks that's right I would never thought of that!

Wow that's awesome. Thanks for listing them down.

That's very helpful of you. Thanks again!
--

---

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Donna McMaster 5/7/13 10:01 PM
Great! Glad I could help. :)
Re: Live examples Pelayo Maojo 5/8/13 7:46 AM
Here is my new one www.creadictos.es !

Re: Live examples Donna McMaster 5/9/13 12:55 PM
Nice job, Pelayo!
Re: Live examples Arno Peck 5/26/13 3:09 AM
Hallo here another site using roottheme:

Re: Live examples k33n 6/10/13 1:12 PM
Re: Live examples Ex HTML 6/10/13 9:23 PM
Hi k33n, great sites! I'm really amazed with the way /plumbline/ and /scilucent/ works and the sections are loaded. You use PJAX or something similar? There's some tutorial or similar documentation you can share about how to work with these techniques on roots / wordpress?
Amazing job, congratulations
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Pelayo Maojo 6/11/13 1:02 AM
very nice! some tutorials around theese would be great.

2013/6/11 Ex HTML <exx...@gmail.com>

--

---

Re: Live examples k33n 6/11/13 11:07 AM
Thanks. We're using turbolinks, it's similar to pjax. It's fairly straight forward to implement but I will try to post something more in depth and possibly push up a fork when I have time.

You basically load everything in the following order:
 jQuery -> jQuery.turbolinks -> Everything else -> turbolinks

Make sure to keep all of your js and css inside of the head. You will run into issues if your theme or any installed WP plugins enqueue scripts or styles conditionally or if you're using any jQuery plugins that rely on .ready to work properly (which is a lot of them, jquery.turbolinks helps though).

For the loading indicator and page transition you listen for page:fetch https://github.com/rails/turbolinks/#events

jQuery(document).on("page:fetch", function() {
  //scroll to top
  jQuery("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, "slow");
  // add .loading to div with #load (could be in base.php)
    jQuery("#load").addClass('loading');
  //fade out content, target whatever you want
  jQuery('div.content').animate({ opacity: 0  });
});

jQuery(document).on("page:restore", function() {
  //fade in content
  jQuery('div.content').animate({
 opacity: 1 });
  //remove .loading
 jQuery("#load").removeClass('loading');
});

Hope this helps.
Re: Live examples Made in Jermany 6/13/13 12:22 AM
Just a couple of sites I've built using Roots.

Thanks for creating such an awesome framework Ben!
Re: Live examples Krunal Jariwala 6/16/13 10:37 PM
Responsive theme built on Roots theme for SustaiNuance - India’s first media property on corporate sustainability.
SustaiNuance
SustaiNuance
India’s first media property on corporate sustainability - See more at: http://www.sustainuance.com/about/#sthash.auPH2bix.dpuf
India’s first media property on corporate sustainability - See more at: http://www.sustainuance.com/about/#sthash.auPH2bix.dpuf
Re: Live examples Makote 6/17/13 3:11 PM
The menu animation upon resize of learn-love-laugh is nice!
Re: Live examples algebres 7/5/13 5:37 AM
Hi Ben

One Theme I've built using Roots.

http://demo.beprosoft.com/rootsmetro/

Thanks for an awesome framework !
unk...@googlegroups.com 7/5/13 11:13 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Live examples Schroeder Simon 7/8/13 11:08 AM
Here's another one, build on roots-grunt: http://www.schroedersimon.de
Re: Live examples Mario Badilla 7/23/13 9:00 AM
I will post mine soon, i am really exited about the results.
Re: Live examples Pelayo Maojo 7/24/13 4:11 PM
I just finished http://dir2.es/

Re: Live examples Neil Ratcliffe 8/8/13 7:42 AM
New site using a roots child theme, it's my main site. Any feedback would be great

http://beeblu.com/

On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:03:58 PM UTC+1, Nona wrote:
Hi all,
I think it would be helpful to start a thread where we'll post
examples of finished sites we've developed under the Roots Theme.
I always find great answers and insight when seeing actual work and
solutions.

Thanks.
Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Mohit Kumar 8/8/13 7:49 AM
Thats great work!! Appreciate it.
Question - what Jquery plugin you have used?

With Best Regards,
Mohit Kumar

+91-9582894570

--

---

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Pelayo Maojo 8/8/13 1:43 PM
good work

2013/8/8 Neil Ratcliffe <m...@neilratcliffe.com>
--

---

Re: [Roots] Re: Live examples Neil Ratcliffe 8/9/13 12:51 AM
I used this for the slider http://themes.themepunch.com/?theme=revolution_jq I think they do a wp plugin. I have also been looking at adobe edge for this type of thing. It looks really good and quicker than coding it.
Re: Live examples leoj3n 8/9/13 4:35 AM

I like purple, well done. One glaring issue: black on black in the drop nav...

More topics »