Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon

Showing 1-12 of 12 messages
Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon Eric Stein 9/20/12 7:57 AM
Hello all!

Beer Church this Sunday.  Be there or be square.  Discuss brewing in this thread as I have no plans on what exactly we are brewing this weekend, although Malerie was thinking of maybe Pumpkin beer.

http://pumpingstationone.org/2012/09/beer-church-920-at-noon/

Eric
Re: [PS1-Public] Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon Eric Stein 9/20/12 7:59 AM
Excuse me!  9/23! NOT 9/20!

Eric

Re: [PS1-Public] Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon Malerie Kaplan 9/20/12 8:19 AM
pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin--
-Malerie
Re: [PS1-Public] Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon Andy Pace 9/20/12 9:10 AM
Pumpkin beers are quite the step up, but I think we can handle it!

I'll start drawing up a recipe and send it around for feedback. Probably using Libby's pumpkin pie in a can. I've used it before and it's much easier than using pumpkin and turns out great.

PREPARE FOR A STUCK MASH. Although I got a few tricks up my sleeve to lower the chances of that happening :)Andy Pace

Re: [PS1-Public] Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon Andy Pace 9/20/12 9:22 AM
Here's a quick back of the envelope base recipe:

The ingredients that are missing are where all the fun in a pumpkin beer is - the spices!

I'd like to get some thoughts on which to use - i'm personally a fan of cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and clove in holiday beers.

Hell if it were up to me we'd just toss in .50tsp of each! The base recipe is very, well, base, so these spices are really going to come through, along with the pumpkin.

The yeast is also very neutral. Makes a great platform for these types of beers.

Let me know what you all think!--
Andy Pace

Re: [PS1-Public] Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon Eric Stein 9/20/12 9:40 AM
That looks good!  I look forward to Sunday.

Eric
Re: [PS1-Public] Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon Ryan Pierce 9/21/12 10:51 AM
Sorry I'm not going to be able to make it. Assuming brewing happens....

I never have had a stuck mash before using the same recipe. My guess on what happened was that during the dough in, someone else was stirring vigorously, and I never explained the false bottom concept. I think it got tipped, and mash got under it, plugging it. Oops.

What software are you using? Looks seriously cool but I don't see a mash schedule listed with temp and water amount.

Also, that's 13 lbs of grain/adjuncts. So far I've only done 8 lbs in that cooler with 2 2/3 gal water. I have a second Gott cooler, twice as large, for high gravity beers, that I'd be very happy to bring in. (The original owner wanted it for barley wines.) But it is at home and I'm in Portland. (Hey, any hacker spaces in Portland? I've already discovered Powell's Books, which is a hacker's wet dream. Shelves of tube amp books, stuff on Arduino, stuff on machining.... I've never been in a book store that large!) So I don't know the upper limits on how much my mash tun can hold.

Another factor to consider: It seems beer #1 had a stuck ferment, at 1.018 at racking. I'm hoping it will resume in the carboys now that the yeast is stirred up. But I'm thinking what could have happened, especially from others because I wasn't there. Some thoughts on possible causes:

* Adequate wort aeration when transferring to bucket?

* What kind of yeast was used? Was a starter used? How hot was the wort when the pitching happened? Problems pitching could do it.

* Did the recipe have lots of unfermentables? Did it have adequate yeast nutrients?

* Fermentation temp was initially high until we got Chillmon working. Usually too low cold shocks yeast, and sticks the ferment. (But too high is bad too; produces off favors.)

Happy Brewing! (Or should I say, Hoppy Brewing?)

Ryan
Re: [PS1-Public] Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon Andy Pace 9/22/12 4:32 PM
Hey Ryan - sorry you won't be able to make it :(

I was only referring to the mash getting stuck with the 3# of libby's canned pumpkin. That stuff is pretty thick and messy :P

Good call on the mash tun, but question: how big is the tun that you're using? I got a 10gal rubbermaid cooler myself, and I've done a couple RIS's that barely fit, so we should be fine. Are you rocking a 5gal?

I've modified the recipe a bit: http://i.imgur.com/930Xx.png

I know, the crystal is a bit wacky, but i'm trying to get rid of my one-off amounts of it. I think it'll end up being OK. I'm also going to probably swap out the Cascade for something a bit less spicy, we'll see. Also, for the adjuncts, I've got .5 tsp of:

-Nutmeg
-Cinnamon
-All spice
-Pumpkin Spice

I also have another version with Cloves added, but I'm not liking the scent of it - clove scents overpower the other spices I'll bring both and see what others think and we'll go with what we all think would be good.

The software I use is BeerSmith - the best damn $30 I've spent: http://beersmith.com/

It shows the mash in the "Brew Steps" portion - but just to get it out there:

Mash in at 156 (full body) with 3.75 gal of water, mash for 45 minutes (but I've always gone an hour, silly software)

Boil 6.5 gallons of water - pre-boil grav is 1.064

Boil down to 5gal, grav = 1.073 (est abv 7.8%)

As for the suspended fermentation on the first beer:

>* Adequate wort aeration when transferring to bucket?

Yurp

>* What kind of yeast was used? Was a starter used? How hot was the wort when the pitching happened? Problems pitching could do it.

Double pitched wyeast 1084 smack packs. Both packages were nice and plump when we pitched. Wort was "chilled", but we didn't check the temperature. With extract brews you typically have ~2 gallons of wort, that we dropped temp with a immersion chiller for a good 20 minutes, and we poured in 3 gallons of cold water, so I didn't even think to check the temp. That may have kicked us in the ass :P

>* Did the recipe have lots of unfermentables? Did it have adequate yeast nutrients?

I didn't bring any of my nutrients, moss, or even water chemicals, this was a very back of the envelope brew. However, I don't think their absence effected fermentation (my personal opinion). One thing to note though, is that this kit was kind of "old" so the ingredients weren't the most fresh. This may have a bit to do with it, but we also forgot to check OG, so we're not even sure if 1.018 is "good" or "bad". WOOPS.

>* Fermentation temp was initially high until we got Chillmon working. Usually too low cold shocks yeast, and sticks the ferment. (But too high is bad too; produces off favors.)

Right, if it was too cold the yeast would have dropped right out. So i'm not sure if this to blame either.

IT'S A MYSTERY! We could just drop in another smack pack if we want. I'll check the gravity tomorrow and let you know where it's at.
Re: [PS1-Public] Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon Ryan Pierce 9/22/12 7:10 PM
Hi Andy,

I have 2 mash tuns. The smaller one we used for the second stout (Hoary Hedgehog) and I think it is 5 gals. The larger one at home I think is 10 gal. But if you are bringing your own larger one, awesome!

I'm giving very serious thought to converting the kegs.... A false bottom, sparge arm, pump for recirculating, propane burner solenoid with igniter, all under Arduino control, speaking USB serial to a Pi that is running EPICS, possibly with a HERMS style system.... Temp probes in the tun and flow lines, possibly a flow rate encoder. We'd need a thermocouple for safety to make sure the propane is lit, and stays lit.

You pitched TWO smack packs and it still stuck?!?!? Wow. I'm definitely interested in whether a racking restarted it. And I am waiting with anticipation for Tuesday when we rack Hoary and check the gravity....

That seems short for a mash. I will have to look into BeerSmith.

Thanks,
Ryan
Re: Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon Tucker Tomlinson 9/22/12 8:14 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to the Chicago area and have been stumbling across links to Pumping Station: One every time I try to figure out how I'm going to do anything I did in my garage/yard before moving out here.  I just noticed your announcement for beer church and thought that would be a great chance to meet people in the group. Is it alright if I join you tomorrow? (I know it's late notice for this but I just found your post)

I used to do some brewing when I was out in PA, but sadly my keggle has been languishing since I moved out here to a small apartment. To make up I have been mixing up small cider batches on the stove. I currently have a batch of ginger cydem (apple mead) that I can bring to share if it's OK for me to join your little party.

(Also google groups is giving me an error message that 'Pumping Station: One Public...@googlegroups.com' is not a valid cc address. Not sure what's up with that?)

Cheers

Tucker
Re: [PS1-Public] Re: Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon Andy Pace 9/23/12 8:00 AM

Yes please come!

Re: [PS1-Public] Re: Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon Andy Pace 9/23/12 7:44 PM
The brew day was a success! We hit gravity spot on, but I can't actually remember if we hit volume. Do you Eric? Did we have 4.5-5gallons of wort after the boil?

Anyway, since I forgot to add the brown sugar, we're looking at lower gravity beer, and a bit lighter, but no big deal. It explains why we weren't even close to the projected pre-boil gravity too! Yay! (I just confirmed in my brewing wizard-like software, and it's spot on)

The yeast we used has a big fermentation temp range - 59F -> 75F, this thing should ferment nice and clean in the chamber

It also has a great smell to it, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Oh yeah Eric here is some data for the wiki kthx nite:

Style: Spice/Pumpkin beer
Codename: idk make one up
Brewmaster: Andy Pace
Type: All-grain
Initial Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.???
ABV: ?%
Brewed: 9/23/2012
Kegged: ?/?/2012
First served: ?/?/2012
Last served: ?/?/2012

Grain Bill:
1 lbs Rice Hulls
1 lbs Biscuit Malt
4 oz Crystal 80L
13 oz Crystal 60L
9 lbs Pale Malt

Other:
.5 tsp cinnamon
.5 tsp nutmeg
.5 tsp all spiace
.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Mash Schedule:
Type: Single infusion, full body
3.75gal of water @ 170
Target Temp: 156F (went too low to 152)
Start pH: no idea
Time: 60 mins
End Temp: no idea

Sparge:
4.5 gallons @ 170F
NO STUCK MASH FUCK YES

Boil:
60 mins
Fuggles for 60min
Spice mixture for 10 mins
Chilled to pitching temp
Unsure of initial volume (someone should check next time you're at the space!)
OG: 1.064

Fermenting:
Primary ferment: plastic tub
Pitched Safeale-05