Any documentation about the ptab file format?

Showing 1-5 of 5 messages
Any documentation about the ptab file format? Artran 1/28/06 4:19 AM
Hi,
I'm interested in writing a Java application which can read ptab files.
Is there any documentation about the format? It's a long time since I
wrote any C so I'd struggle with reading the source code but I'll do
that if it's the only option.

Anything that I produce will be offered back to the community.

Regards,
Ray Tran

Re: Any documentation about the ptab file format? Dummy 1/28/06 4:59 PM
The only documentation I have is for the header, which I've attached. The
rest you'll have to figure out using the code.
Re: Any documentation about the ptab file format? Ray Tran 1/29/06 1:42 AM

Re: Any documentation about the ptab file format? nickk 2/14/06 7:49 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have the format specification handy?
ie - how does the file actually describe the SONG, not just the header
info..that would be an enormous. help.

I'm working on a genetic algorithm to translate 5-bar sheet music to
6-bar guitar tablature, and I would love to use powertab. Thanks in
advance.

Nickk

Re: Any documentation about the ptab file format? Ray Tran 2/16/06 1:15 AM
Hi,
I've been working on understanding the file format too. I have been
reading the source code and trying to relate that to the bytes that I
can see in the file. I have the beginnings of a structure diagram but
it's nowhere near complete, or even much use, at the moment. I've
attached it for you but I'm not sure if you'll get much from it.

There is a tex document on the net with the structure described. And
you may find some useful info looking around the site that it is on.
The document is here: http://jelmer.vernstok.nl/oss/ptabtools/svn/
trunk/format.tex . The author wrote some tools for reading various
music files. His description of the string representation isn't quite
right but the rest of the stuff looks ok.

I hope that's some help.

On 15 Feb 2006, at 03:49, nickk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have the format specification handy?
> ie - how does the file actually describe the SONG, not just the header
> info..that would be an enormous. help.
>
> I'm working on a genetic algorithm to translate 5-bar sheet music to
> 6-bar guitar tablature, and I would love to use powertab. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Nickk
>

> Ray Tran wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for that, it should save me some time. I'll let you know how I
>> get on.
>> On 29 Jan 2006, at 00:59, Dummy Account wrote:
>>
>>> The only documentation I have is for the header, which I've
>>> attached. The rest you'll have to figure out using the code.

>> - --
>> Ray Tran

Cheers,
--