Menu missing after Ubuntu upgrade (12.04 -> 12.10)

Showing 1-3 of 3 messages
Menu missing after Ubuntu upgrade (12.04 -> 12.10) fisha...@gmail.com 9/1/12 5:21 AM
After upgrading Ubuntu from 12.04LTS to 12.10alpha3, the menu bar in POEdit has disappeared.

All visible parts of the application function OK, but the menu bar has gone.

I tried both the "gnome3" shell, as well as "unity".

dpkg tells me I am running version 1.4.6.1.5.1build1

I tried building the source for 1.5.2, but this fails at the "./configure" stage, with the error

configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

The config.log shows pages of errors, starting with

configure:3539: gcc -V >&5
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'

The latest version of gcc does not have a "-V" option.  However "gcc --version" shows that I have

gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.1-7ubuntu1) 4.7.1 20120814 (prerelease)

So, I have two questions:

Is this likely to be a bug in POEdit, or in Gnome3
Where can I get binaries for the latest (1.5.2) version.  They are not in the Ubuntu repositories.
Re: Menu missing after Ubuntu upgrade (12.04 -> 12.10) fisha...@gmail.com 9/1/12 5:45 AM
On Saturday, September 1, 2012 1:21:50 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
The config.log shows pages of errors, starting with

configure:3539: gcc -V >&5
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'

Ignore this.  I'm not famiiar with configure error logs, and assumed the first error was fatal....

I have installed g++, wxwidget and boost.  I can now configure/make the application, but it fails to run, giving hundreds of errors

(poedit:10125): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
(poedit:10125): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_drawable_get_image: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
(poedit:10125): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_image_get_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_IMAGE (image)' failed

Re: Menu missing after Ubuntu upgrade (12.04 -> 12.10) Václav Slavík 9/1/12 9:36 AM
Hi,

On 1 Sep 2012, at 14:21, fisha...@gmail.com wrote:
> After upgrading Ubuntu from 12.04LTS to 12.10alpha3, the menu bar in POEdit has disappeared.

As you observed, the problem is clearly in the updated Ubuntu version, hence the place to complain would be at Ubuntu bug tracker, not here. I assume that Ubuntu folks warn non-developers to not use something clearly labeled as "alpha", too.

> So, I have two questions:
>
> Is this likely to be a bug in POEdit, or in Gnome3

Neither. It's likely some re-introduced bug in Ubuntu's patches to GTK+ (it happened in the past) and you should report it -- to Ubuntu.

> Where can I get binaries for the latest (1.5.2) version.

I do not provide binaries for Linux distributions, they generally make a better job of it on their own.

Regards,
Vaclav