|[ANN] Overtone 0.8.0 - "Performance Ready"||Sam Aaron||1/26/13 11:23 AM|
In case you were wondering how you might raise your spirits now that Christmas is well and truly over - I have the answer! Overtone 0.8 is here and is ready to bring joy to you all!
We've been working hard for 7 long months on this release and things are really starting to shine. I've personally been using Overtone for a number of live performances in art galleries and conferences around Europe on my own and as part of my band Meta-eX and I can really vouch that this release is "Performance Ready"!
If you haven't dipped your toes into the exciting Overtone waters, now is the perfect time to get rocking. We've got a whole bunch of great examples in the overtone/examples directory to get started with as well as a plethora of fantastic new features.
* New, all Clojure, in-memory scsynth interface using clj-native - now supporting Windows in addition to Linux and OS X
* New (optionally disabled) machinery to stop the control and modification of non-live nodes (controlling loading nodes blocks the current thread and controlling destroyed nodes throws an exception).
* New event handler `on-latest-event` which serially handles incoming events with the lowest latency by dropping events it hasn't had time to handle, yet always handling the last event seen.
* Major progress has been made porting the metadata for the extra ugens not included by default in SuperCollider. See `overtone/sc/machinery/ugen/metadata/extras/README.md` for progress
* Complete overhaul of the default group structure. See `foundation-*` fns.
* Many new synths
* Many, many new ugens: major progress has been made porting the metadata for the extra ugens not included by default in SuperCollider. See `overtone/sc/machinery/ugen/metadata/extras/README.md` for progress.
* Clojure 1.5 compatibility
Full release notes: https://github.com/overtone/overtone/blob/release/0.8.0/CHANGELOG.md
Overtone Repo: https://github.com/overtone/overtone
As always, the Overtone Cheatsheet gives an overview of the full API:
So give it a try. Add [overtone "0.8.0"] to your lein 2+ project and evaluate (use 'overtone.live) in your REPL then come and share your musical/sonic/noise exploits over on the Overtone mailing list: http://groups.google.com/group/overtone
|Re: [ANN] Overtone 0.8.0 - "Performance Ready"||Craig Pennington||1/26/13 11:55 AM|
Great! I've been fooling around with RC20 and been having lots of fun.
I changed my project.clj to use the release & ran into a bit of trouble.
cpennington:badbrains cpennington$ lein repl
nREPL server started on port 64902
Exit: Control+D or (exit) or (quit)
Docs: (doc function-name-here)
Source: (source function-name-here)
Javadoc: (javadoc java-object-or-class-here)
Examples from clojuredocs.org: [clojuredocs or cdoc]
(user/clojuredocs "ns-here" "name-here")
user=> (use 'overtone.live)
--> Loading Overtone...
FileNotFoundException Could not locate overtone/gui/mixer__init.class or overtone/gui/mixer.clj on classpath: clojure.lang.RT.load (RT.java:432)
user=> Bye for now!
So it's not finding the overtone/gui/mixer.clj
cpennington:badbrains cpennington$ for i in `grep overton /tmp/list`; do echo $i; ( jar -tvf $i | grep mixer ); done
9065 Fri Jan 18 22:40:54 EST 2013 overtone/studio/mixer.clj
Only sees the studio one. Double checking RC20 gives:
cpennington:badbrains cpennington$ for i in `grep overton /tmp/list| sed 's/0.8.0/0.8.0-RC20/g'`; do echo $i; ( jar -tvf $i | grep mixer ); done
2492 Thu Jun 28 15:32:38 EDT 2012 overtone/gui/mixer.clj
9065 Fri Jan 18 23:40:54 EST 2013 overtone/studio/mixer.clj
On Saturday, January 26, 2013 2:23:51 PM UTC-5, Sam Aaron wrote:
So perhaps this wasn't included in the uploaded release?
Thank you for a great tool, this weak player really appreciates it!
|Re: [ANN] Overtone 0.8.0 - "Performance Ready"||Sam Aaron||1/26/13 12:17 PM|
sorry, that was a tiny glitch which is now resolved. I pulled out the GUI widgets from this release as I found a number of issues with them at the last minute and want them to be super stable and polished when we release them. Hopefully this will be for the next release.
|Re: [ANN] Overtone 0.8.0 - "Performance Ready"||Sam Aaron||1/26/13 12:30 PM|
I should also say that these GUI widgets are currently in the MASTER branch on Github:
So if you want to play around with them and help polish and develop them further, then please do.
|Re: [ANN] Overtone 0.8.0 - "Performance Ready"||ctford||1/27/13 2:42 AM|