Call for projects

Showing 1-10 of 10 messages
Call for projects Sanjoy Das 1/10/12 4:10 AM
Hi,

Ram and I were discussing whether it would be nice to have one or two
projects which KLUG members can hack on together.  We came up with
some ideas:

 * Some interesting use-case for zeromq
 * Use fountain codes to implement a one-way fault-tolerant TCP-IP
   replacement.
 * Extend SVG to allow 3D primitives.  Write a renderer using OpenGL
 * Implement a virtual file system (using FUSE) which masks an untidy
   music directory by exposing a clean directory structure based on
   ID3 tags.

And, something I came up with -- implement a small Lisp interpreter in
some imperative language.  Perhaps even add a Lisp to C compiler.

What do you guys think?  My opinion is that it would be a lot of fun
to hack on something as a community.  Plus, tangible results are very
tasty. :)

Cheers!
--
Sanjoy Das
http://playingwithpointers.com

Re: Call for projects Anurag Priyam 1/10/12 4:11 AM
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Sanjoy Das
<san...@playingwithpointers.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ram and I were discussing whether it would be nice to have one or two
> projects which KLUG members can hack on together.  We came up with
> some ideas:

There are a lot of MPD users around, and not everyone is happy with
their clients, so:

A JS based MPD client complete with last.fm integration (scrobbling,
fetch recommendation, play your streams), artist info (last.fm or
wikipedia), lyrics.

--
Anurag Priyam

Re: Call for projects Sanjoy Das 1/10/12 4:28 AM
Hi,

> There are a lot of MPD users around, and not everyone is happy with
> their clients, so:
>
> A JS based MPD client complete with last.fm integration (scrobbling,
> fetch recommendation, play your streams), artist info (last.fm or
> wikipedia), lyrics.

Qt allows you to execute JS from within the framework (allowing access
to its API, I think).  Perhaps we could have some _blank_ sort of
client which exposes some minimal JS API (to connect to MPD, to
display widgets etc.) and then the UI can be written in JS, sort of
like Firefox.

--
Sanjoy Das
http://playingwithpointers.com

Re: Call for projects Sanjoy Das 1/10/12 4:52 AM
Hi,

I'd like to work on a type system in an imperative programming
language, and learn more about Lisp -> C translation so the lisp
interpreter / compiler project is very interesting to me personally.

While I don't intend to hack on the entire compiler / interpreter, I
can help break it up into smaller pieces; perhaps starting with a very
basic expression evaluator and then building up from there.  Working
on programming language pragmatics has been an immensely rewarding
experience for me, and I've found this to be a very effective way to
learn about programming languages.  You can expect a good mix of
theory (think finite state machines, type systems etc.) and practice
(think serializing data, managing memory effectively etc.).

In fact, I'll say it would be a good idea to model a few projects as
some sort of an extended, guided hackathon.  We'll have people
voluntarily pick up some projects to mentor (based on what they've
been working on and interest) on which other people can hack.  Perhaps
Priyam can mentor a JS / Ruby based project, Ram can mentor a FS /
systems based project, Mallikarjun can mentor some NLP based project
and so on (all three of which I plan to hack on as a mentee, btw) --
that way everyone gets to learn something.  I can mentor this lisp
project.

What do you guys think?
--
Sanjoy Das
http://playingwithpointers.com

Re: Call for projects ecntrk 1/10/12 6:10 AM
This is a nice idea. I was really looking to learn the 3D rendering, small animations and related things using OpenGL. I'd love to work on it if somebody mentors.--
Regards,

Debmalya Sinha
দেবমাল্য সিংহ

Research Scientist,
MS(R) student,
Computer Science and Engineering
IIT Kharagpur

Fedora Ambassador
Chandannagar
India.

http://cse.iitkgp.ac.in/~debmalya

GPG Key : 6E2BD51B
Keyserver : http://pgp.mit.edu

Re: Call for projects Dipanjan 1/10/12 8:26 AM
Good call.

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 18:22, Sanjoy Das
<san...@playingwithpointers.com> wrote:
>  Mallikarjun can mentor some NLP based project

I have a book on NLP with python. Hard-copy.  If anybody needs it,
drop me a line.
--
Dipanjan

Re: Call for projects Anurag Priyam 1/25/12 12:24 PM
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Anurag Priyam <anurag0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Sanjoy Das
> <san...@playingwithpointers.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ram and I were discussing whether it would be nice to have one or two
>> projects which KLUG members can hack on together.  We came up with
>> some ideas:
[...]

> A JS based MPD client complete with last.fm integration (scrobbling,
> fetch recommendation, play your streams), artist info (last.fm or
> wikipedia), lyrics.

Bad idea: I wanted to make it completely browser based which is
impossible and I have no intentions of touching Qt. Besides, I don't
really have the time for this. I am sorry for suggesting it in the
first place :(.

I need to invest more time into [SequenceServer][1] and I will
probably shy away from things that don't directly or indirectly impact
SequenceServer. In spare time I will want to revive [bio-nexml][2],
move a bit more on the comp-bio side, hack around on [Awesome][3],
and try my hands on [Rubinius][4] (I have been wanting this for ages :-|).

If anyone's interest aligns with mine or is curious to explore these
things, I will be more than happy to mentor them. All my work is up
on [Github][5] for anyone to check out. Let's see how we can take it
ahead :).

Cheers!

[1]: http://sequenceserver.com/
[2]: https://github.com/rvosa/bio-nexml
[3]: http://awesome.naquadah.org/
[4]: http://rubini.us/
[5]: https://github.com/yeban

--
Anurag Priyam

Re: Call for projects Anurag Priyam 3/7/12 12:09 AM
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Sanjoy Das
<san...@playingwithpointers.com> wrote:
> Ram and I were discussing whether it would be nice to have one or two
> projects which KLUG members can hack on together.  We came up with
> some ideas:

How about having [hackathons][1] on a regular basis?  Like on Friday nights?

>  * Some interesting use-case for zeromq
>  * Use fountain codes to implement a one-way fault-tolerant TCP-IP
>   replacement.
>  * Extend SVG to allow 3D primitives.  Write a renderer using OpenGL
>  * Implement a virtual file system (using FUSE) which masks an untidy
>   music directory by exposing a clean directory structure based on
>   ID3 tags.
>
> And, something I came up with -- implement a small Lisp interpreter in
> some imperative language.  Perhaps even add a Lisp to C compiler.

So we could either work on one of these ideas (or more).  Start off in
one hackathon and pull through.  Or, we could collectively hack on
some existing open source projects.  Probably the ones that some KLUG
members already contribute to.  Awesome, client175 extra would make
for an easy start.  Of course, I would like to push forward my
SequenceServer and other comp. bio. stuff as well :P.

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackathon

--
Anurag Priyam

Re: Call for projects Anurag Priyam 3/7/12 12:11 AM
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Anurag Priyam <anurag0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> members already contribute to.  Awesome, client175 extra would make

s/extra/etc.

--
Anurag Priyam

Re: Call for projects Sanjoy Das 3/7/12 12:12 AM
I'm in. We need to work out the logistics properly, though.